StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Splits – How long did it take you?

• safetypin90

August 7, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I think, for most of us, the reason why it takes so long is because we're trying to find the best technique that works for us for so long. It's been over 6 months and I;ve finally found a routine that works for me and I;ve finally learnt how to stretch properly and so I'm seeing a difference.

Also, I havent stretched in the past 3 days and I feel like crap. I will tomorrow !!

• safetypin90

I think, for most of us, the reason why it takes so long is because we're trying to find the best technique that works for us for so long. It's been over 6 months and I;ve finally found a routine that works for me and I;ve finally learnt how to stretch properly and so I'm seeing a difference.

Also, I havent stretched in the past 3 days and I feel like crap. I will tomorrow !!

• safetypin90

• 3Splits

August 15, 2013 at 9:42 pm

For me, it took me about 2 months. I had my right split before and stopped stretching, lost it, and now am working on it again. I am 4 cm away in my right and 4 inches away in my left. My middle is 5 inches off the ground.

• KidKerrigan

August 16, 2013 at 6:14 am

I JUST got my left split one time, got excited, went to go show my instructor and snapped a hammy. It's going to take me a lonnngggg time to get that back 🙁 even my handstand holds are now pooped! Never never ever push yourself too hard with stretching. Soon as you feel a weird tingle, back right off. You'll very much regret it otherwise!!!

• Cara Christina

September 2, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I had to respond to this thread because I just finally got my splits at age 35 (never could do them as a kid) after 3 years of trying!  I guess it's not very encouraging that it took 3 years but the thing was, as so many people have said, everyone's body is different and what works for some won't work for others.  After stretching on a pillows/really soft mat, I finally realized that I'm supposed to relax my muscles.  Well, I thought I was relaxing but really I was tensing.  The psychout/fear factor was and is huge with me.  I also paid attention to the feeling of stretching those areas in which I am flexible–what are my muscles doing?  What is my mind doing?  Why is this easy and the splits are hard?  After awhile of really paying attention to these kinds of things, I was able to consciously help my muscles relax.  Good luck–it can happen!  Oh, and I found that trying too hard was also counterproductive.

• NerdasaurusJess

September 5, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I had a rather odd split journey. I was inflexible child. I could hardly touch my knees up until College. I started doing yoga a couple times a month my freshmen year and could touch the ground. Sometime around my sophomore year I started dancing. I did not stretch I did not work towards splits. I kept trying to do them in my sets and one day I was flat. I know this is not the norm at all, but I think a lot can be said about just being warm and working it in those movements. I have also heard one yogi say she stayed flexible because "she never bent her knees to put on her underwear" it is such a minor thing but it could make a HUGE difference.

• thaliajanse2428

March 7, 2014 at 3:59 pm

It was very easy for me it took me 5 days only! with this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZTGgEWPbLk&feature=share

• M Darling

March 10, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I bought the “Felix Cane Flexibility” dvd last year, and I would do that at least two days a week after doing cardio before. One I had all the stretches memorized, I would do as many as I could as often as I could. I would only hold each stretch for about 30 seconds. I would pick two days a week to do deep stretching and oversplit stretching. Now that I have found Veena, I do her stretching and workouts and I only work on oversplits about twice a week and this seems to help. I also found some nice videos on youtube…and Aerial Amy (Thank You!) I haven’t even used a foam roller yet, but I am looking forward to that! Can anyone tell me what helped them get a nice aerial split? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• oleas4981

July 19, 2015 at 5:56 pm

Do you know why i have to like start all over again and i am tight every time i go to the side split event though that i make warm up and stretching exercise, please help i can not come any further down.

• Runemist34

July 20, 2015 at 12:36 am

Hey Oleas4981!
    Flexibility, like strength, is not something you achieve and then keep forever, it must be maintained! Even a while off, like two months, can seriously stunt your ability to achieve the splits.
    Also, if you push it too hard, you may see some gains, and then see some losses. This is what happened to me when I damaged my hamstrings.
    Be patient with yourself! Rushing will only bring harm!

• Andrea Pole

July 20, 2015 at 5:40 am

Well, I’ll just put my 2 cents.
    Personally I started working on my flexibility and splits 4 and a half months ago and I already can do my splits with my left leg in front (without the hands on the floor). The right leg still needs some progress (it’s like 3-4 cm from the floor). I haven’t stretched everyday, mostly once or twice a week (I mean stretch to gain flexibility, not to mantain). I do stretch to mantain when I do other workouts (strengthening the legs, pole or pilates lessons) but only because the exercise requires it.
    I noticed A LOT that if my legs are too tired from stretching they won’t “work” properly so I let them rest one, two, three or even 4 days if they need it. For me this has worked for the best.
    When I stretch I use the “get bendy” dvd and recently I started doing some yoga. (1 hour or so).
    I agree you can’t gain real flexibility by only doing pasive stretching, you need to gain strength as well.

I think that’s all!

• Glasscleaner667431

February 12, 2021 at 1:52 pm

I waa able to do the splits right leg fwd & left leg fwd. No problem. 20 years ago. ..lol…please do not laugh. My right leg is 1 inch from complete. Left at least 2 inches. Wow. I kicked off a backwalkover but my splits are 1 to reckon with. Help????

• Veena

Administrator
    February 13, 2021 at 1:23 am
Page 6 of 6