OMG! My X Pole just SLIPPED!!!!!

Pisces Poler
Ok, so I mastered the 'reverse grab attitude' spin today! Go me! LOL! Whilst in the middle of practicing, I started the momentum for the spin, left the ground holding with one arm and....SLIP!!!! My pole totally moved from it's spot on the roof!! Eeeeek...ha haha! It scared the hell outta me...funniest thing though, I had the video rolling to capture my new found spin and caught the whole thing on rape bahahahaha!!!
So I know it says in the manual to check your pole regularly to make sure all is tight (which I haven't done) um I think I will check it after each use now....
Has this happened to anyone else???
May 28, 2011
Pisces Poler
Ok, so I mastered the 'reverse grab attitude' spin today! Go me! LOL! Whilst in the middle of practicing, I started the momentum for the spin, left the ground holding with one arm and....SLIP!!!! My pole totally moved from it's spot on the roof!! Eeeeek...ha haha! It scared the hell outta me...funniest thing though, I had the video rolling to capture my new found spin and caught the whole thing on rape bahahahaha!!!
So I know it says in the manual to check your pole regularly to make sure all is tight (which I haven't done) um I think I will check it after each use now....
Has this happened to anyone else???
May 28, 2011
Pisces Poler
I mean *TAPE* !!!!! damn iphone auto correct!!!!!!!
May 28, 2011
peaceloveblonde
Omg! At least your okay.... one of my friends had this happen to her too.... but I've never had it happen tto me. I think its just cause it wasn't high and tight enough.
May 28, 2011
Jenn

I've had this happen numerous times.. Trust me, it happens! Its always a good idea to check the pole beforeeach practice. Structures move and settle so the pole can come loose over time.
May 29, 2011
Pisces Poler
Haha thanks girls glad to know I'm not the only one!!! Scared the crap out of me!!
May 29, 2011
Pisces Poler
Haha thanks girls glad to know I'm not the only one!!! Scared the crap out of me!!
May 29, 2011
SadieNikole
We usually check mine about every 30 minutes to every hour n before anyone gets on it. We were cleaning my house one day while I was doing dishes my friend is talking to me n decides to do a fireman spin. I turned around just in time to see her ride the pole to the ground. LOL. Needless to say she doesn't get on it anymore without checking it first. :)
May 29, 2011
Pisces Poler
Bahaha!! That's it I'm checking it all the time from now on!!! LOL :-P
May 29, 2011
LopsiJulie

I have both floors and ceilings with some flex in it.  So I check and tighten everything (x-joints; pole; bottum nut thing) prior to every us.  I also don't bother pulling hard on it because I know I can make it move.... so things like step up climb (where there is a spin and a climb) I don't do because my pole doesn't handle that well.  Climbing straight is fine and doing tricks is fine. 

I also make sure I spin in both directions.  :)
May 29, 2011
Mechie

Oh...I"m so glad I read this post.  I didn't plan on checking the pole prior to every workout. LOL

Ok...when you guys say the pole slipped...like how badly? Just move a couple of inches or the entire pole fell to the floor???
May 29, 2011
LopsiJulie

Mine has never fallen.  The joints got stuck.  One time I did at cupid-butterfly-flatline combo and when I got off I realized my pole was no longer straight.  I knew it was feeling too easy to stay in cupid.. hehehe.
May 29, 2011
reenie aka Mysfit

Odd thing...........I have never had my xpole slip on me....either one of them. I did however have a male friend who weighed about 200lbs shift it when he literally jumped and attacked it like he was pouncing on prey. Scared the crap out of him...LOL....It only slipped about 2 inches, but it was enough.

I did however have my 38mm brass Aradia Pole come down with me on it last Sunday. That was a fun ride.....Not major injury, but my right tricep was really tender for a few days. I was just doing a simple chair spin too....However, thankfully it was me on the pole and not one of my students.

I had a friend take a pic of the warp in it(that is why it came down) I will post that to my album as soon as she emails the pics to me.

The original thread I posted last weekend is below(Hope link works)

Otherwise, its title if you want to search it is Had my 1st ever pole oops

[www.studioveena.com]

May 29, 2011
marle777

I've had mine slip a couple of times, but the humidity and temp fluctuates quite a bit around here, so checking it regularly has become a necessary habit.
May 30, 2011
TinyDynamics09

my pole slipped the other day but goodness it wasnt me on the pole it was my friend. she weighs about 210 and now she is afraid to get back on it. needless to say i dont want her on it again to many coinsidental things happend after she got on it. the pole started to creak, the bottom cap wouldnt come undone. but  nina ( yes thats my poles name) is all better now. i dont think ill be sharing her for a while i almost cried when i thought the cap could not be undone. hopefully it will never slip on me but only time and inverts will tell
May 31, 2011
Pisces Poler
@ Mechie - nah it didn't fall to the floor (thank god!!!) it only slid a few inches!! I should post up the vid that I was shooting when it happened HAHAHA!!! How embarrassing!!!
May 31, 2011
SadieNikole
Mine has slipped n fell to the floor.
Jun 1, 2011
Adriibabii

Yea,  ive had mine slip all the way to the floor as well lol and yes it does scare the crap outta you!!! I fell and i knew i was okay but I was just worried about it hitting something important but everything was alright, turns out it wasn't completely straight it was a little crooked when i set it up so when I did an attitude spin I guess my weight pulled it even more outta place. Needless to say I now check the pole constantly!
Jun 3, 2011
mrsbaybeegurl
Yup, it's happened to me lots of times, mostly because I have thick Capet and I think as the pile of the rug starts to flatten it gives slightly more room, plus my ceiling gives a lil flex so eventually it needs re tightening after some time. I don't normally check it every time I pole, and it really only gives way after a month straight of poling, but one thing I truly admire about the x pole design is that when it slips it is designed to shift into another position by gripping the ceiling and remounting mid fall so it never fully falls all the way over! It might be crooked and you may lose balance but it shouldn't ever slip and tumble down. But I'll agree it def scares the poo outta ya when it shifts and your on it, not fun! Lol
Jun 4, 2011
mrsbaybeegurl
Yup, it's happened to me lots of times, mostly because I have thick Capet and I think as the pile of the rug starts to flatten it gives slightly more room, plus my ceiling gives a lil flex so eventually it needs re tightening after some time. I don't normally check it every time I pole, and it really only gives way after a month straight of poling, but one thing I truly admire about the x pole design is that when it slips it is designed to shift into another position by gripping the ceiling and remounting mid fall so it never fully falls all the way over! It might be crooked and you may lose balance but it shouldn't ever slip and tumble down. But I'll agree it def scares the poo outta ya when it shifts and your on it, not fun! Lol
Jun 4, 2011
Dancing Paws

I am reopening this thread because mine just slipped on me today! After a year of owning my x pole, this is the first time it slipped on me. I even checked it beore getting on the darn thing! I had been overtightening my pole, so I tightened it according to x poles instructions. It was all good the first time I spun on it, a few days ago, but I guess it had time to settle or something. It scared me! Haha!
Oct 9, 2011
LopsiJulie

glad to know you are ok though.  :)
Oct 9, 2011
LovesIt

Mine slipped on me the other day! I have a LM and decided to try out the spin mode...I'm just glad I have quick reflexes and caught us both!
Oct 9, 2011
Dancing Paws

I didn't know LM's could slip. Wow. Crazy!
Oct 9, 2011
AliciaPolerina
Yup this happened at the studio today while me and a co worker were practicing by ourselves (thank god not during a class!) On a little mynx pole. Thankfully she was just doing a fireman spin and wasnt hurt but it scared the crap out of us! Check poles regularly!
Oct 9, 2011
Fallen Angel

Same thing happened to me a few months back... I went crashing to the ground and the pole missed the window by about 2 inches!!

I always check now :)
Oct 9, 2011
Danielle Tillie

I had mine slip and fall on top of me! Luckily, it fell in such a way that it didn't hit anything and didn't hurt me either. It was a foot away from the TV on one side, and a few feet from a wall on the other, landing perfectly into the entrance to the next room. Whew! Since then I do check the tightness of my X-pole carefully. At the time though I was putting it up and taking it down every practice. I was nervous of over-tightening and managed to overcompensate the other way!
Oct 9, 2011
Hazi411

My x-pole slipped a while back - the ceiling end of it shifted several inches whilst I was doing a spin.  I usually test mine before every time I use it, but only by tugging on it a few times!
Oct 10, 2011
Dancing Paws

I did the gorilla shake that x pole tells you to do and it seemed file, so I did a spin...it so wasn't fine! :/
Oct 10, 2011
amy

i've brought down an xpole that SEEMED perfectly stable, by doing a corkscrew spin on spinny mode-- and also brought down a permanently mounted PS pole by doing a corkscrew spin! not scary at all when it was happening (both times) but if you really want to freak out the polers around you, pulling a pole down is a great way to do it!
Oct 10, 2011
Yogini

A few weeks back, I had a friend over and I was going to teach her some basic spins. Just after I was done telling her how safe the x-pole is, I did a spin and the whole pole fell over. I landed almost on top of her. Thank GOD I missed the flat screen!!!  Turns out, I had forgotten how to tighten the pole after putting it up (it had been down for a few weeks). Basically, my spin unscrewed it and it lost tension. There's a mistake I'll only make once!! 
Oct 10, 2011
Lyme Lyte
Mine moved many times. So frustrated I got to the point that I had my hubby screw through the top cone/plate right into the studs. Two 6" screws did the trick! And it doesn't budge! Even when my 200 lbs son comes over after some drinks and runs and jumps on the thing!
Oct 10, 2011
KittyNyanNyan

My boyfriend has shifted my Xpole, but he's the type to take a running leap into an invert. 

I have however taken down two Lil Mynx poles at one of the studios  . . in one day. It was wierd.
Oct 10, 2011
nymphdancer

couple of years ago my mynx came down with me, almost took out the tv. it had shredded the ceiling and beam. I have it mounted now with a piece of wood, then ceiling, then beam its soild but i also rarely use  it since I have my x. the first time i put the x pole up I pulled it down too because I didn't have it up right.
Oct 10, 2011
Lyme Lyte
Great suggestion to mount LM to piece os extra wood. Will do that too!
Oct 10, 2011
kklove

Oh yes the pole can come down anytime esp if its hit in the right spot.  I was doing a poleparty one day and a lady did a fast prance and jumped on the pole (which i told them all to NOT do) and the pole came right down. thank goodness i was behind her to catch it with onehand #ssssssave :) hahaha
Oct 11, 2011
Lyme Lyte

I fianally screwed through my top dome  with two screws (opposite of each other) and  went right into the joist above.  My pole hasn't slipped one not even with an adult man playing on it.  I posted a picture under my profile for those of you who asked me how I did it (on another forum).  So check it out.  I am so glad I did it!  Trust it 100% now.
Oct 14, 2011
Dancing Paws
X pole sells permanent mounts for the x perts. I cannot use them since I have an apartment and cannot drill into studs.
Oct 14, 2011
Lyme Lyte
Oh that is good to know you can make them permanant. Even if i lived in an apartment i would drill a hole. Nothing a finger full of drywall compound and a dab of white paint couldnt fix. Thats what we will be doing someday if we sell our condo.
Oct 14, 2011
poledancekitten2000

My pole came down on me yesterday while I was doing a fireman spin. It came out of the base.  Ive had it for about a month and never retighned it after practices.  I will NEVER do that again.
Oct 23, 2011
Dancing Paws

The base huh? Mine slipped at the dome, but I have a pretty smooth ceiling, so that might be why.
Oct 23, 2011
nymphdancer

smooth ceiling shouldn't matter if it is put up correctly. Empy uses x poles in her studio and her ceiling is laminate flooring which is very smooth I have helped her with her pole set up a couple of times and love the attention to detail of how each pole is put up she uses.
Oct 23, 2011
NickyNak

Mine's had never slipped, but maybe because I had it that tight to my ceiling at my mums that it wasn't going anywhere lol. It actually locked, so when it was time to take it down to move, the whole pole was completely solid and there was no anscrewing it at all, I had to buy these unlock tools from ebay and thankfully they worked lol 
Jun 6, 2012
ShonaLancs
Yeah my pole slipped when I first put it up-I was scared of breaking my ceiling so didn't tighten enough. Also had poles at studio I go to that are fixed permanently to the ceiling slip on my from the bottom lol! I was stretching using pole and ended up on my bum with the pole still in my hands!
Jun 7, 2012
bre123

what exactly should you do to check it? I just ordered a pole on this site and i want to know exactly what to do. I live in an apartment and can't afford to have any major accidents
Jun 7, 2012
Dancing Paws

test it with the gorilla shake. If it doesn't budge, do a fireman or some easy spin to double check it's stability.
Jun 7, 2012
bre123

thank you good to know. When i get my pole I'll probubly be installing it myself . I will be sure to do that before i jump on
Jun 7, 2012
plumtwisty
I have never had my x-pole slip! One trick that I use is a pencil half-circle traced right along the edge of my cieling plate, on my cieling. I make sure the pencil mark is perfectly lined up before/while I pole to make sure the pole hasn't shifted out of place (ie. it hasn't loosened)! :)
Jun 8, 2012
Tara Paid Member
My pole fell tonight as I was in a twisted ballerina spin! Very painful, but kinda funny... I was wrapped around the pole so tight, and spinning so fast, I couldn't comprehend what was happening, then could not unravel myself (when I figured out I was falling). The pole landed on top of me :-(
Dec 1, 2012
villainvixen

That happened to me recently. No pain thankfully, but it was pretty funny. Turns out I didn't secure the ceiling mount very well. 
Dec 1, 2012
sparrow

Oh Tara, yikes!! Mine has slipped. Mine has come down. I would love to permanently mount it if possible. It's so tricky...xpole says most people acutally overtighten the poles but dang...how do you know when it's just tight enough?! 

I've also drawn a circle on the ceiling around the mount. Will be interesting to list this house sometime and have people potentially gaze at the ceiling and wonder why there's a big circle.
Dec 1, 2012
monica kay Paid Member
sparrow: tell them its a mural of the full moon... :D haha... maybe they will think a famous artist did it
Dec 1, 2012
luvlee
Idk if you all are on carpet or hard floor but when you first out them up in carpet they adjust and compress it down and it gets loose. Once you tighten it again it shouldn't happen. On hard floor I would say just do it tighter if it is falling.
Dec 1, 2012
SimpllySweet

I cute a peice of 3/4 inch plywood and screwed it into my ceiling.  The dome fits right over it and covers it.  If your pole slips the plywood will "catch" the pole and keep it from falling on down.  In one of my earlier videos here on sv I show it.
Dec 1, 2012
blondemd
I had one of the older X poles (not w the X joint, but the kind that attached by screwing the threaded bolt together). When it was on carpet it fell on me, twice, two different gashes on my wall, thankfully none on me! I tightened it all the tine but the carpet pad was so thick I just couldn't get it right I guess . It eventually broke when two grown men decided to fly around it like a merry-go-round at a party :( Now I have a lil mynx, and a wood floor, lol. I think x poles are great though, I will probably eventually get another one w the optional permanent ceiling mount lol
Dec 2, 2012
Legs4Days
I know this is an old thread but I may get an xpole. So if u overtighten it may crack ceilings but if you do not tighten enuf it may fall? That's scary. Some of you said u gave it the gorilla shake and it didnt budge but it fell anyway?? I see a lot of gals on here on their xpoles inverting and doing all kinds of cool stuff and their poles stay put. How do u really know when it's safe to use then? 
May 7, 2013
Dancing Paws
There is quite a window between undertighteining and overtightening, so don't worry. Also, your ceilings will settle after it is installed, so you have to check it's secure before each use. X poles have a base that articulates, which helps the dome re-catch is it slips.
May 7, 2013
cello33dolly1119 Paid Member
Yeah it happened to me today. i was doing a fireman spin and boom, the pole slips and falls, with me falling to the ground. I am okay, juts scared the hell outta me! It is an Xpole Sport static pole. It has held in place for 7 months now, but from now on, once I get it remounted, I will check it regularly!
Dec 17, 2020
quancutie23 Paid Member
Happen to me once to. I was able to catch myself it is scary
Dec 17, 2020
monica kay Paid Member
i'm always paranoid my pole is going to fall but it never has. i went ahead and had a ceiling mount installed a few weeks ago (bc of covid... i might as well- i'm not going anywhere anytime soon) and i must say- all my anxiety over whether my pole is truly secure or not is gone
Dec 19, 2020

Simora
Veena, you've saved me money and quite a bit of agonizing of how to jump start my poling!! I've been in a pole rut for a couple years and now I'm back in the game!! I can't wait to start these! How I've missed it! Thank you SO much!
more testimonials