StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions protein powders?

• Maria-Elena Kadala

September 26, 2013 at 10:54 am

Here's a link for post-training recovery meals:

http://www.cookinglight.com/healthy-living/fitness/post-workout-meals-00400000046491/

"What you eat after a workout matters! No matter what time of day you exercise, the key is to follow up with meals that combine protein, which helps your muscles recover, and carbohydrates, which replenish energy stores. For best results, eat within 30 to 60 minutes after exercise, when muscles are most receptive. During this window, an increase in enzyme activity makes the body more efficient at storing glucose for energy and building protein in fatigued muscles."

This is what I learned in the pro clinics, and echoes what Chemmie said about the time window,  My post-recovery nutrition is more like a snack than a "meal", ie, not that many calories, but just enough to promote recovery.  My recovery drink of choice was described in previous post, but it doesn't have to be a drink (although you probably need the fluid anyway).

Find out what works best for you, and work it out with your ED counselor to fit it into your program.

• Maria-Elena Kadala

September 26, 2013 at 11:14 am

abcollins, I looked at your links, and regarding Protein Powders, it says

"

Protein Powders

As discussed in a previous chapter, protein powders have been staple of athletic nutrition for decades and exist somewhere between food and a supplement. While obtaining all but the highest intakes of protein can generally be done with nothing more than food, protein powders can provide convenience and flexibility for athletes having problems meeting their protein needs. They can be especially valuable when athletes travel and may have their normal food patterns disrupted. Specific types of protein powder are discussed in Chapter 4.

For the most part, buying protein powders commercially is a losing proposition, you will pay twice as much for half the product and I recommend that athletes find reliable online suppliers to purchase protein powder in bulk. I’ve provided a few online resources at the end of this book that I trust to provide quality product at a good price."

And this is how they work for me … not as a staple in my diet, but as a supplement.  One doesn't need a lot of supplementation for post-event/training recovery, but some level within the specified window optimizes recovery.  I prefer the liquid smoothie before training/events … probably just psychological … but I don't want to be digesting a substantial meal before I have to run for 90 minutes (or invert for 9 seconds).  It's the quickest solution to post-training/event nutrition when I'm too tired to think about preparing anything more complex.

It's my standard breakfast, because it's the easiest/quickest way for me to get my particular metabolism (with diabetes) on an even keel in the AM.  And that being said, I try to get the right balance of nutrients from "real food" in my other meals.

• monica kay

September 26, 2013 at 12:26 pm

this thread is taking a turn down Misery Street.

It is turning in to a debate.  Pretty much everything regarding health is debatable 🙂

Maybe we could all just agree to keep the posts pertinent to the original post's questionshttps://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• Paunobs

September 26, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I Look at supplements in any form this way, If you believe they are working for you whether it be the supplements doing their job or mind over matter they are working therefore they have been worth the expense and the risk to take them. They cannot be doing us any worse harm than Pharmaceuticals,trans fats or diet drinks etc etc, I use protein powder at times, i use many health supplements and i truly believe i am better off for it, i rarely get sick i have good muscle growth and definition for a 51 year old.:) Therefore in answer to the original question go for it cant really be to much harm if any:)

• Paunobs

September 26, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Oh and I use Fuel factor as I believe it is of good quality with good ingredients.:) after a hard workout

• symonesal

September 26, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I still believe the YOR health brand is the best. It has a unique patented nutritional delivery system which helps you to absorb the most amount of enzymes through their products which the body needs and it has been clinically proven tht it works up to 3 times more effective than most market brands.

• abcollins1

September 27, 2013 at 10:57 am

Look, im sorry my answers are not popular, im sorry that people seem to think that they know more than they do and are not willing to admit that this puts them out of their scope of knowledege.

But I have answered op's question several times over.

She asked Specifically about wanting to add protein powders for 1)recovery and 2) muscle building.

1) protein powders are not a recovery aid any more than chicken or beef is and

2) it is not going to help build muscles without being in a calorie surplus, without hitting other macros and without being on a progressive training program.

As the conversation progressed we discovered:

Op has past history of ED

OP is on Paleo type diet (restrictive eating patterns)

OP is skipping breakfast (does not matter if tied to ED or not, still an issue)

OP wants to stay lean

Specifically OP wants to take protein powders at nearly 10pm

So does OP NEED to add in protein powder????? No.

BEFORE adding in ANY supplements, first look at diet. Why does op feel the need to add in protein, because she doesnt think she is hitting her protein levels, but is skipping meals. FIX: eat more protein at breakfast and there should be no need to eat after last pole class. All of this talk about magic "windows" is debunked. As long as she is getting proper cal levels any time during the day, she is not going to go into a catabolic state and start eating at muscle tissue. 2000 cals during the day is 2000 cals no matter how you chop them up or when you eat them. The body is not on any kind of "clock" it doesnt know what time it is,

On top of that it is VERY VERY EXTREMELY difficult to work out to such an extent to completely deplete muscle glycogen to the point you would need to eat any specific thing. Typically you have to structure a diet and training program SPECIFICALLY around muscle depletion. On top of that, the body has a harder time converting protein into glycogen, so carbs would be your best bet to restore glycogen (and is usually what it manipulated in order to deplete said glycogen). I can promise that even a pole class is not enough to deplete glycogen enough to warrant needing to eat specifically for that reason.

Now, to the fact of the ED, OP needs to seek out her professionals to determine if she is ready to take the step to muscle building, which requires EATING above maintenance, gaining weight, counting calories, etc….. As we do not have the experience or knowledge to say if this path is right for op at this time, the correct thing to do is to have her ask her team this, NOT to provide a bunch of info that has nothing to do with OP's situation or goals (stated goal of building muscle).

Now, I hope i have made my points clear as to why op needs to focus on whole foods and why op needs to speak with her professionals. Its all well and good to say i take this and that, but there are other things op needs to look at BEFORE supplementing.

• Webmaster

Administrator
    September 27, 2013 at 11:26 am

Can we please tone down the posts here.  This topic could be informative to many people  in the community but inflammatory and confrontational posts decrease the value.  Rational discussion is find but it is completely unnecessary to call people stupid:

"im sorry that people seem to think that they know more than they do" 

This isn't an attack on any one person, that was simply the most readily available quote.

Please tone down the heat and provide the information you have as well as your personal experiences so that everyone who reads this forum can benefit.

Thank-you all for your understanding.

• michaelaarghh

September 27, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I appreciate the concern abcollins, but paternalism is really frustrating.

But I'm not eating a mostly paleo diet because that's restrictive??? I have a history of an eating disorder, I do not currently have one. I mentioned it because my understandings of nutrition and what is needed was wrong for so many years. When I meant I want to stay lean, I was more just confirming that being in a surplus of calories (which I did already mention I am fine about as well..that is not a trigger for me because I have a better understandig of nutrition now) would still allow me to stay in the same shape I am…because it would be building muscle. But of course, calories are just calories. It of course makes more importance as to what those calories are coming from. 

I just provided that information because I'm wondering if I get enough protein. I eat a lot of meat, my diet is pretty high in protein / fat, but I don't eat breakfast everyday (same as  a lot of people!) so I recognise there is definitely nutrients missing there. Which is why I'm wondering if maybe a supplement would be beneficial to me, because of my lifestyle. I'm thinking I am going to start having smoothies for breakfast, because they are quick and easy. I know some people add some protein powder when they do this. 

The whole point of this thread was for me to find out a little about what everyone else does, what brands they use, what their practice is like and then I know a little bit more about how people generally use the product and I can then decide whether or not it is something I am interested in researching further. 

I have given details about how I currently eat / my lifestyle to see if other people experience similar things and have found whether or not it has added a level of convenience to their lives. I know nothing about protein powders…which is why I'm asking about them. I don't know enough about the industry to determine marketing from fact yet, which is why this forum was my first port of call. 

It is frustrating to ask a question and then get answers like "We can't answer you because of your history." Like webmaster said…this is information that could be informative to a lot of people, and I am kind of bored of having to defend and explain what I previously said. I'm not asking for advice. I'm not asking what I should do. I'm asking what other people do. I am going to use this information to do further research. I want to kind of know what I talk about when I speak to other professionals, so I know the questions to ask. That is all. 

Page 3 of 3