StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions protein powders?

• protein powders?

Posted by michaelaarghh on September 23, 2013 at 1:54 am

I've been thinking lately about whether or not I should take a protein powder to help me in recovery, and help build muscle after pole classes. I guess I want to know if anyone else on here takes protein powder or supplement, and how do you go about choosing one? This is such a foreign world! I went to my local health food store to enquire, but got ignored by the sales assistant (so infuriating!) so didn't get anywhere. I'm also finding with trying to research online that there's a lot of marketing behind everything so I don't know what claims to believe…

so I guess my questions are:

– do you take a protein supplement when you work out?

– what type do you take? (whey, casein, etc)

– what brand? 

– how did you go about taking them?

– what results do you get from it?

🙂 Thanks in advance!! 

michaelaarghh replied 10 years, 7 months ago 13 Members · 39 Replies
  • 39 Replies
  • Koidragon

September 23, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Hi Michaelaarrghh,

Protein powder (and such supplements) are exactly that – supplements. I personally use protein powder – a female catered formula in that it is lower in carbs, low sugar – but still whey. I really enjoy it, I have taken protein supplements from my old weight lifting days and spent a lot of time then trialing with and without to see if it is effective for me – and it is. Sometimes you need to try a few different ones to find one that suits you. I would be happy to help you choose one 🙂

I personally prefer whey, but there are a lot of people who like cassein, and for the really serious, whey and cassein (although not together). I like to take me whey after eating, usually in the morning. There is a lot of information out there though on when you should take things and how much etc – here is just one example

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/satternorton.htm

Take away the marketing and there is some information there – but realistically, you aren't doing this for massive bulk, so really, just take it when it works for you. I know people who take theirs mid workout if they are doing a long session – gives them a food and energy boost.

My results have been more that I recover better – I tend to hurt less, and find I feel I have more energy, and feel stronger. Don't get me wrong, it isn't he-man type increases – this could also be a simple caloric increase, nonetheless, I definitely have received benefit from it.

• abcollins1

September 23, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I use a few supplemements, but specifically protein powder wise, I use optimum nuttitions Gold Standard Whey and when cutting cals, caesin. I find they are low carb, high protein, quality ingredients, with low sugar and a great taste. I use them more when i dont have a chance to eat (like in between classes/jobs) or in the mornings before classes, because it makes me sick if i eat any solid foods before cardio (just me, ymmv).

As far as building muscle, you need to be in a calorie surplus to build muscle. Your body needs extra fuel to actually build so if you are not eating slightly above maintence calores, then you are not building muscle. So please do not think that adding in protein or protein powders alone will build muscle.

Also know that there is no real NEED for protein powders, if you are eating a diet rich in protein all ready and are getting enough protein there, then there is no reason to purchase supplements. I know all the marketing says you should, but really its only a convienence issue.

I also dont really think its a recovery booster per se, Having the correct calories and correct macro levels as well as adequate sleep/rest and a properly set up training program will be the best thing for recovery. I mean, you dont eat 8 ozs of chicken or beef for recovery, so a protein supplement isnt going to do much recovery wise except help you hit your cals and macros better.

For taking them, i mix them in about 6oz of water, whey is taken as needed and caesin is taken when dieting down at bedtime (slow digesting, keeps you fuller longer, no need to wake up hungry). Again, this isnt an everyday thing as i prefer to get my protein from actual foods, shakes should only be a supplement and not the basis of a diet.

Benefits, are ease of use, and easier to fit foods into my diet plan. Other than that, there is no real special "magic" about protein.

• yrngrl

September 24, 2013 at 8:21 am

I usually have some on hand, but I very rarely drink it as intended. Instead, I use it to add protein to other things…like smoothies, homemade bars for easy breakfasts, or my favorite, adding a scoop to pancake mix to make them more filling. I have tried a few brands, my current favorite is Muscle Milk Light powder in Cake Batter flavor (casein and whey blend).

• chemgoddess1

September 24, 2013 at 9:29 am

I will take a protein shake with me for after a pole session just because it is ideal to take some in after stressing your muscles and my drive home is about 30 minutes (the time you should eat after). I buy body fortress whey isolate from Walmart or Kroger

• chemgoddess1

September 24, 2013 at 9:31 am

Ugh……hit send by accident…..I mix it with orange juice and it tastes like an orange julius. The only other time I do shakes is with a smoothie some times just because it adds good flavor and I also mix it in my pancake batter. I know there are women days that I am not taking enough in so I use it basically for that.

• michaelaarghh

September 24, 2013 at 6:10 pm

My boyfriend does all the cooking, and grocery shopping so to a large extent, he influences my diet and we do eat a pretty protein-rich diet (mostly paleo). 

I'm just wondering if the supplements would make it more convenient? Like, if I finish pole class at 9.15pm, I won't get home until 10, won't have dinner until at least 10.30…and from what I've read and understand, you're supposed to refuel your muscles straight after a workout? So it's not like I expect to take these powders / supplements and magic will happen. 

I guess as well, I don't know if I'm taking in enough calories to build up a lot of muscle. I very rarely eat breakfast (although I am trying to work on this one… so tricky when you can't eat bread and don't like cereal!) so I'm sure I'm missing out on energy intake there.

It's tricky because I am technically still in recovery for an eating disorder I had for 5+ years. (by in recovery, I mean the same way an alcoholic would say they are in recovery…I am fine now, but I still have thoughts sometimes…I can just deal with them better and not act on them now) I've put on a little weight recently (although I don't know my numbers I can just feel it / not see bones I used to see) and while I'm still learning to cope with that and love my muscles (which I do!) I don't want to gain fat unnecessarily…if that makes sense? I want to stay lean. So that is a long and convoluted way of asking, would adding protein supplements help with getting extra calories in, in a convenient way, like right after class? And I would probably be better off going with one that is low carbs and definitely low-no sugar?

Thanks so much for the brand recommendations guys! 

• abcollins1

September 24, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Having an ED past is a tricky thing, because as you are aware, you are never really "cured". And the thing is to gain muscle, you have to eat at a surplus which does mean some fat gains. This doesnt mean it will need to be a ton of fat, but you are not going to be able to "stay lean" and gain any real amount of muscle. Women can only gain around 5 pounds in a year, and that is if everything it done perfectly.

Typically you will look to see a around a 1.5 to 2 pound gain a month. And with your ED past, it might not be wise to do this without some help.

I would advise to seek out professional help to get to your goals. You do not want to trigger any past habits and you want to stay healthy but adding muscle is a hard, slow process and is not easy even without an ED.

To answer your questions: A protein shake can help to get cals in, but you need to be more focused on eating whole real foods and not relying on shakes to make up calories at this point. You do not have to eat "straight after a workout", hitting your cals and macro needs is more important to you now than timing.

I can not advise too much more than to seek help IRL with professionals. This type of lifestyle usually attratcs and can make EDs "reappear" and I doubt many here, if any, are qualified to give more specific advise over the net.

• michaelaarghh

September 24, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I am at a healthy weight currently, and I could probably gain a little more and still be okay with it. I am lucky that I had a great therapist, who has taught me to identify if I feel I will relapse, and I am comfortable getting help. I am at the point where I love being healthy, and I love my new body shape. Of course I have 'off days', but so does everyone. 

I just thought I'd mention it because it's not going to be as easy as eating / consuming an extra whatever amount of calories a day, as it would be for some others, it is something I would have to plan and slowly introduce..which is fine. 

I am eating "normally" atm, (apart from breakfast but that's something I am definitely working on..it's more a convenience issue) so I'm not really asking if I can rely on the shakes to make up calories, but if it would be able to supplement my current diet?

If that makes sense? Sorry, I don't mean to get defensive. I detected a lot of concern in your post, and I really appreciate that but I do have a team of pros who can help me out if I need it (and I would seek that advice!) 🙂

• abcollins1

September 24, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Even in women without ed's the gain is hard and the concept of gaining some fat freaks them out. I see lots of it all the time, where girls will claim they want to gain muscle, gain 2 pounds, freak out, and then slash cals and add in cardio until they lose the 2 pounds. Then they wonder why they never get the results they want 6 months later.

This is also where you get the "im a hard gainer" or "i just put on fat when i up my cals" (none of wich is true). Its hard to convince women to eat to gain muscles.

So really its a mental issue of coming to terms that your body will change, the scale will go up, you will not stay lean, and some fat will come. Usually this is a process where you gain and then lose, but again, its not something i can advise you on with an ed history.

Typically, if i have a client with an ED history, I work with their MD and RD and will not work with clients who do not have that support. Its also not something I  would do over the internet. Im not trying to be offensive, its just a whole other ball game that requires more than just giving a plan to someone and letting them go. Even though I am not a MD, i take 'do no harm" seriously.

If you have a team al ready, then i would say the best place to ask your question and get guidence is your team. They would know your situation better and would be better informed to give you the answers you need.

Hugs and good luck!!

• michaelaarghh

September 24, 2013 at 8:23 pm

For me, knowing my weight was a massive trigger and a massive problem. So I choose not to have a scale at home. I choose to not know how much I weigh. So gaining little bits here and there is a lot easier for me to manage. Especially because muscle weighs more than fat. I probably weigh more now than I ever have, but I have a lot more muscle now. Anyway, point is; I do not concern myself with how much I weigh. Because that is not healthy for me. 

I am fine with increasing my calories if that's needed to build  muscle (which makes sense, but I hadn't though about before until I read it here tbh), and I was just clarifying if taking shakes would be a convenient way to do that, especially because I don't eat breakfast (not an ED thing). 

I think I will maybe try adding it to my diet after my pole workouts and see if I notice a difference. I just want to make sure I'm providing my body with what it needs. Obviously food is the ideal way to do that, but I get home so much later after my class, I want something for in between then. 

My understanding is as well that shakes / powders would be better than bars, which are very high in sugar? 

• symonesal

September 24, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I use and also endorse YOR health products through my pole studio. This product I swear by and so do many of my students. They have really felt a difference when using the products, not only the protein powder. The thing that sets these products apart from the others is their unique patented NDS system (Nutritional Delivery system). You guys can try it and the best thing is that they have a 30 day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied but I do not know anyone who has return the products.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRZSJlcqCKM

Here is a youtube video to explain more about the mine of products. If anyone is interested in trying them out then please let me know and I can help you to get started.

• CrazyKosters

September 25, 2013 at 12:29 am

I didnt read all the posts but i use Vibrant Health Pure Green Protein. It is plant based, gluten free, vegan, soy free and low in carbs and sugar.   it has an essential amino acid ratio closer to human muscle then other forms of protein. I use the vanilla flavor and mix it with milk and take it right away after working out. I also use MRM's 100% all natural Reload for post workout muscle recovery. It is BCAA's (branch chain amino acids) and I take it right away after working out as well as my protein. Since taking the bcaa's, I notice i do recover quicker and am not as sore. Here is a quote from a pdf article ( there is this same/similar info on other fitness sites) "In the 20 minutes immediately following your workout, your body is most open to restocking lost glycogen. Aim to consume a 3:1 to 4:1 ratio of carbs-to-protein, in a snack or beverage within 20 minutes post-workout to optimize recovery benefits (studies suggest that the window for replenishment is quite small – by as early as the two-hour post-workout mark, muscle glycogen resynthesis is 50% less effective than in the first 20 minutes)"  I have read that the best time for protein is within 20min-60min post workout. I buy both of these at super suplements. The protein powder i use also has a full disclosure label and no proprietary blends.

• abcollins1

September 25, 2013 at 1:19 am

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

Studies support that overall calorie intake is more important than any nutrient timing, Also the whole ED thing supports this as well.

BCAA's also not effective.

• CrazyKosters

September 25, 2013 at 2:04 pm

To each their own, I have personally had success and don't have delayed muscle soreness as bad when I do take BCAA's vs not taking it. Of course calorie intake and proper nutrition is important. It's also important to properly fuel your muscles before and after working out when strength training. When I take it during a workout, i have been able to workout longer and harder. This protocol works for me so just thought I would share. I could barely climb my pole 7 months ago and now i can do an Iron-x. My strength really started to soar when I added the BCAA's. I have also lost around 20lbs and all i have done is pole. I do not do much cardio at all and I do not go to the gym. I eat properly and make sure i get enough protein during workouts. To much protein though just turns to fat. Most protein powders as well as protein form food sources contain bcaa's and they are essential for muscle growth and repair.

"According to College of New Jersey sports nutrition researcher Jay Hoffman, Ph.D. Your muscles readily convert leucine into energy during exercise, which prevents the breakdown of muscle tissue. While BCAAs are the most crucial amino acids for muscle development, the World Health Organization emphasizes that you need to consume all of the essential amino acids in your diet to maintain proper nitrogen balance in your body."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/493886-bcaa-vs-protein-powder/#ixzz2fvqnIw47

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bcaas-the-many-benefits-of-amino-acids.html

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1005-BRANCHED-CHAIN%20AMINO%20ACIDS.aspx?activeIngredientId=1005&activeIngredientName=BRANCHED-CHAIN%20AMINO%20ACIDS

http://www.hchs.edu/literature/BCAA.pdf

I notice a difference when I take BCAA's. With them being some of the most important amino acids and is required for many body functions including the prevention of muscle breakdown, and all the literature supporting the use of them, I don't see how you can say they are ineffective whether you get them from food or supplement. I will continue to use them, they work for me. I could post links to research and articles about this all day but I thought the ones i posted are pretty straight forward.

• nymphdancer

September 25, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Page 1 of 3