StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What do your workouts REALLY look like?

• Phoenix Hunter

November 11, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Lucca, I dont always listen to music either! haha! sometimes I will have what ever show I like to watch playing in the background. haha! Im glad i’m not the only one. And I definitely watch tv while i am on the ellliptical trainer. πŸ™‚

• Runemist34

November 11, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Wow, you guys work out a lot! It’s awesome to see that we all go at this in our own way, and that so much can work for so many different people!
    I know we’ve had lots of discussions about rest days and how many times a week to pole on the forums here… I’ve actually found that pushing myself too much can really mess with my enthusiasm, and I become disheartened, and eventually stop for a while. At current time, I’m poling 3 times a week, and running 3 times a week. One of those days overlaps (wednesday) so I do a run in the morning AND pole in the afternoon. That way, I have two solid rest days so my whole body can recover!
    It seems to be working well for me, though I do occasionally feel like I’d like to pole more often. I’m trying not to push myself too hard, though.

I have a follow-up question to all of this: With all the strength training, trick training, and everything else we do in a structured (or unstructured!) workout, how do you ladies translate this into the beautiful, polished pieces that you would put up as a video, or as a performance?

• missym357

November 20, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Runemist, I have a hard time putting together entire polished pieces! But, I try to work polishing a move into my practice when I combo it. So I work on it, pretty or not, over and over until it is nice, then I try to combo it. I will dance the combo to music until I think it looks good. Recording this really helps me to see what I could do differently to make it look better. Just from reviewing my videos I can see the difference between simply doing a move and dancing it.

• Rachel Osborne

November 20, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I just stuck up a video of how I typically practice – take an idea/move (today it was E for elbow things because I’m doing a pole alphabet challenge) and record it and just play with variations of the theme whilst dancing and spinning about, sticking in a few other tricks that occur to me as I dance. It’s pretty unstructured. I had just done an hour of very hardcore barre class though so I didn’t feel need to warm up or strength train, it was more about flow practice and experimenting.

• arijack

October 19, 2015 at 10:31 pm

I LOVE this thread and would love to see more people post their workout routines on it for more inspiration. I’ll add mine too! It took me a long time (um, approximately 6 months!) to really find a schedule and routine that works and where I’m not making myself susceptible to muscle strains.

1-2 days a week I have my “Strength” days (lol, all pole is strength!). It has three parts:
    -For 2-3 (somewhat slow) songs I do isolations, top to bottom. Neck, shoulders, torso, hips, booty pops, body rolls. The 3rd song I free dance focusing on fluidity and snake-like movement.
    -Then for 20-25 minutes I do a yoga flow. It’s mostly sun salutations with lunges (knee down), light hamstring and quad stretches, and heavier on the chest opening and upper back strengthening. I’ll include dolphin poses to elbow planks, things like that. Along with progressively more intense chest and shoulder stretches. All of this I do specifically and with a lot of intention because I’ve found my time on the pole is a lot better if my shoulders are open and my upper back is fired up to be used!
    -Then for strength training, on and off the pole! I pick 5-6 pole strength exercises to do (fan kicks, inverts, pull-ups, anything that doesn’t require skin grip cause I’m sweaty by this point) and do however many reps and two sets of each. In between the pole strength moves I get back on my yoga mat and do a core exercise. I continue switching off until I’m done with my pole strength moves πŸ™‚ Then just for my legs and booty, I do a set of 20 squats, and a set of 10 one-legged squats (with pole to assist) on each side. This all takes about 20-25 minutes!

If I have time, I’ll do longer hamstring, adductor, quad, and shoulder stretching. Just one or two for each area.

1-2 days a week I have my “Tricks” days.
    -Same warm-up as above. 2-3 songs of isolations/free movement.
    – Then I easy free-dance on pole (just walking, pirouettes/other fun stuff with at least one foot on the ground) for 1 song. For a second song I keep free-dancing adding in simple spins.
    – For my actual “tricks” portion I have 5-6 tricks I want to focus on, a mix of tricks according to what limbs you’re hanging off of or what kinda purely strength trick it is so I am not overusing or over-bruising (LOL) a certain part of my body. I do all of these 3 times each side.
    -Long stretches after of same as above πŸ™‚

If I do any other workouts throughout the week it’s a longer home yoga practice, or a short barefoot run on the beach.

• Jenn1989

October 20, 2015 at 5:19 am

I usually pole 2 times per week, sometimes 3. I usually warm up first by doing 5 minutes or so on my stationary bike because I have issues with my hips and I find that it really helps to loosen up the muscles. After that I throw on some music and do 15 minutes or so of basic spins, dancing, and climbs to get the pole warm.
    I try to focus on free styling with moves I already know one day, then working on a new trick or strength training the next day.
    The days that I try to freestyle I usually get tired really fast and the session only lasts about an hour. On strength days it’s usually more like 2 hours. 😊

Page 3 of 3