StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What do your workouts REALLY look like?

• What do your workouts REALLY look like?

Posted by Runemist34 on November 8, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Something I’ve been thinking about recently is the difference between what we may THINK other people’s pole workouts are like… and what they actually are!
    I seem to have this weird belief that everyone else is doing some kind of amazing thing every time they touch their pole; be it dancing some kind of fantastic and beautiful freestyle or routine, to nailing moves left, right, and center each time they practice! It’s all pole-oriented, and I don’t seem to “compute” that other things are necessary sometimes.

My own workouts consist of some light freestyle (usually grounded, few spins) for about 15 minutes as my “warm up,” which then easily transitions into struggling my way through my current move-focus, which is currently the chair spin. I try to add some dancing to it, but it doesn’t often go that way. Then, I get into major strength-training, with side-pole-hold knee lifts, an actual workout routine for about 15-20 minutes focusing on either my arms or my core, and then lots of flexibility training.
    This all takes about an hour, and then I’m done!

It doesn’t FEEL like a lot of pole-oriented workout. I’m not working on a routine or anything, so I suppose it’s tough to get perspective!

So, what do you REALLY do when you go to “hit the pole”?

Jenn1989 replied 8 years, 7 months ago 15 Members · 37 Replies
  • 37 Replies
  • msusagi

November 8, 2014 at 5:49 pm

There is only so much a beginner like me can do… Lol! But what you describe sounds like what I do! To me, the warm up means I don’t do serious strength or flexibility training yet because I want to operate at my optimal strength and energy when trying out the new moves. I try to warm up using the pole because well… it’s there and in doing so try to figure out ways of moving my body around it, all with at least one foot planted on the ground. But there are also a few warm up exercises I do away from the pole like planks.

Then work through the basic hook spins that I learnt, then the new ones, and intersperse with trying out various landing and transition moves. I do a bit of light stretching and conditioning in between because being up in the air is tiring. I think my arms and legs would also appreciate a different position or move to just lubricate the joints and release the tension from having to hold on tight. When I feel like I am done with the technical learning and practice, I do my serious strengthening, then stretching and a little bit of a cool down just moving around with light stretches.

• grayeyes

November 8, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I warm up my muscles for about 5-10 minutes (neck rolls, arm stretches, a few lunges and leg stretches, some hip rolls, etc.–nothing major). Next I usually do some static spins like carousel and reverse grab to try to warm up the pole alternating with some climbs and V-leg lift type things to further warm up my muscles and build a little strength.

Here’s the part I think I need to change. I then sort of run through every trick I know because I’m afraid I’ll lose them if I don’t practice them. I need to stop this or I’ll never learn anything new. By the time I’ve done this I’m pretty worn out but I do usually try to learn one new trick or at least start learning one. I rarely freestyle but I do like to put my heels on usually at the end and dance around a bit or do tricks in them because I LOVE THEM AND THEY MAKE ME HAPPY!

• Rachel Osborne

November 8, 2014 at 6:35 pm

At home, I warm up fast and hard (mountain climbers or similar to get body warm then roll head shoulders wrists waist hips do plies and kicks) then start freestyling. Sometimes this turns into me playing with a single move over and over, videoing its variations and entry/exit, and watching clips back while I stretch a bit, then dancing it into a freestyle, then dancing some other moves I have down into another freestyle, then stretch (not as much as I want/need) then I rush off. I have to cram my workouts in to under an hour because I have to collect my son from morning preschool. I shower and eat later once he’s home and had lunch. I try to grab a bit of foam rolling when I can, I keep the roller close at home!

I also do 4 morning pole classes which are more structured. I try to fit in yoga and stretch time in evenings but there’s not much time as I have to make dinner and after dinner I am not up for it. If husband works late I eat dinner early with son and then I have free time once son in bed to do yoga etc

• Anzia

November 9, 2014 at 3:20 am

I more-or-less do Veena’s 13 min warm up, and I focus particularly on knees, ankles, feet, wrists and fingers at the end. I also stretch my hip flexors and calves lightly as they’re often a bit tight. Then I do the beginner and novice spins/holds from my studio’s guide book to warm up the pole. Then I try to focus on 1-3 newer intermediate moves and practise those with my crash mat out. Then either a few more basic spins or some stretching. I prefer to stretch after running though, when I’m REALLY warm!

• Phoenix Hunter

November 9, 2014 at 5:41 am

I do a 15minute warm-up: I work from the bottom up. squats,plies, then hamstring stretches and lunges for hip flexors, maybe some high kicks. for my spine I do body rolls. 10forward, 10 reverse. then 10 cat/cow stretches while kneeling on hands and knees. for shoulders I do arm circles all directions, various shoulder stretches. then a few shoulder rolls and neck circles. sometimes I do handstands in my warmup. I will do 3 handstands and 3 elbowstands and hold them for as long as comfortable.

for my main workout:45min I usually pick 4-5 tricks I want to work on or maybe a combo or tricks. I attempt each trick on each side for about 5 tries. I always know what I’m gonna work on before I pole because otherwise I just stand around. I will make myself move on after 5 attempts whether they were good or not. I find this important because it keeps me from getting frustrated and sore.

cool off 5-10min: any light stretches, what ever feels good.

on days that I dont pole I do flexibility training which usually consists of 1 hour of following along with cleo’s rock n legs n abs or Get Bendy flexibility DVD

• Phoenix Hunter

November 9, 2014 at 5:51 am

also, some days I only do strength training on my pole, no tricks or spins. on those days I will do Veena’s strength training routine with a few of my own strength training exercises that I like to do. then I will do a quick cool down. on those days it is usually a total 45minutes.

• Rachel Osborne

November 9, 2014 at 6:41 am

Phoenix your training sounds really organised and effective. I need more structure in my home practice, think I will be stealing your ideas!

• CatsEyes

November 9, 2014 at 7:05 am

I work just like Phoenix Hunter 🙂

I do a 15 minute warm-up ending on a freestyle doing some spins and dancing moves.
    I pick 3-4 tricks or combos I want to work on and try them about 3-4 times.
    If there is one I succeed, I try it 2 more times so that i’m sure it’s not luck !
    Then, I work on things I succeeded during my last training and need to be perfected, trying to find a nice combo, entry, exit, etc.
    Then I stretch a little bit and end my training using my foam roller.

I don’t train on tricks or combo everytime.
    Some days, I will just dance around, working my flow, foorwork or focus on gaining strength.

• Phoenix Hunter

November 9, 2014 at 11:29 am

haha! Tropicalpole, I am a creature of habit. I structure my work out very similar to what my studio does. if I dont have an outline to go by I just get lost.

• Tamarinda

November 9, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Sometimes I warm up with pop Pilates if my goal is strength building. Then I do some pole with whatever energy I have left. I always end with at least an hour of stretch no matter what I do. Sometimes I warm up with a feestyle. Then work on pole moves before my energy depletes. While working on pole moves it generally looks like me trying a move, failing then laying on the floor for a bit, throwing my fists up at the pole asking, ‘WHHHHHY’ in a very dramatic manner. Then trying again and generally failing again. My pole practice is quite boring with a lot of lulls. When practicing pole moves I end with strength building exercises on the pole (found on youtube) with what little energy I have left. Pole is very boring especially in the beginning where we focuses on strength, flexibility, and stamina training before we get up and just execute moves after move. The videos we see that are very put together do not show the thousand hours of training. And the sexy floor work we see do not show the goofiness and awkwardness that first begun. Training is a very defeating process that takes a lot of motivation.

• Phoenix Hunter

November 9, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Tamarinda, that sounds dreadful! haha! I think I would get discouraged and give up if my workouts were that tough. you have alot energy and drive.

• Phoenix Hunter

November 9, 2014 at 4:18 pm

there’s no way I could do an hour of stretching after poling. flexibility training drains takes alot of my energy so I have to do it on days I dont pole

• Tamarinda

November 9, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Pole is very dreadful and much harder than it looks. One thing that keeps me going and happy is that I feel awesome after I’ve sweated out all of my guts. My bad moods always turn into good moods after a good pole session where I get my blood pumping and endorphins going. I figure one day it will all be worth it and the muscle memory and stamina will be up 😀

• Runemist34

November 9, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Tamarinda, that sounds… surprisingly a lot like my running! It’s horrible, and painful, and I hate doing it all the time… but I feel SO AWESOME afterward! And, I see progress often and feel like I’m doing something really good for myself- and I am! I haven’t had pain in my knees for months now, and I can actually use them in ways that I haven’t been able to for over ten years.

I’ve considered working on routines and things for my pole workouts, rather than freestyle… or, I suppose, putting together combos and working on those at easy levels to warm up, and then progressively harder as I get all warmed up!

I love seeing how everyone’s workouts are put together, and how different it all is from the beautiful pieces we put together for showing off!

• Tamarinda

November 9, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Phoenix Hunter, the amount I stretch you would never know because flexibility comes horribly slow to me. I try to put work into my weakness which is flexibility. I truly have to force myself to stretch and keep at it. I took part in a 60 day splitter challenge so hopefully that helps… But… I’m not getting my hopes up because even consistency doesn’t get me too far with stretching it seems. Runemist working out does feel great afterward and I guess it doesn’t matter what our training session looks like as long as we do it and feel awesome afterward!!!

Page 1 of 3