StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Scared of a move?

• Danielle Tillie

May 8, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Oooh Pankake, you just outed yourself! Would you trust me to catch your legs? I’ve caught so many legs! 😉

• SpyralBound

May 8, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Maybe if we practiced a little at home first and not at the studio, I think having an audience adds to my nerves, especially when they're all flipping up like it's no big thing. 

• portableninja

May 8, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Funny, an audience always helps me. I'm a big chicken (and a big baby with regard to pain) when I'm by myself. But someone's there to see it? Hey, look what I can do!

• SpyralBound

May 8, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I guess I feel silly wanting to pull out the crash mats for the freaking warmup, lol.

I have an inferiority complex among my classmates that I'm working hard to get over. Part of is that I kinda snuck in the side door at this studio – I didn't work my way up from the beginner classes like most students, due to my connections. : ) I feel like as an intermediate student, I'm expected to be able to do this, and my inability to do so points me out as a "cheater" who didn't have to level up like they did. 

• Danielle Tillie

May 8, 2013 at 4:03 pm

You are not a cheater! It’s just that the girls who moved through our beginner all had to work to get over their fear of handstands (trust me, many of them had that issue) because we required a solid handstand for them to advance. You can DO a handstand! You just weren’t pushed to flip up into it over and over again, that’s all. We’ll work on this! 🙂

• SpyralBound

May 8, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Thanks Danielle! I know it's mostly a mental block related to my wipeout last summer. Some days I feel up to it and some days not so much. I think I mentioned this to you before but I'm probably going to start mixing in some beginner classes with my intermediates so I can work on polishing my fundamentals as well as learning new tricks at the Int. level. As long as the studio doesn't mind me straddling the line, so to speak, and doing a bit of both levels. (Don't I just love to buck the system…) 

• CarissaRose21

May 8, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I've been able to do a CAR for almost 2 years now, it's a move that I feel very comfortable with. Yet for some reason now when I go to do it I get a quick moment of panic, and I get scared! Once I get over that fear and lay back, I'm fine though. I think for me it's because I've been practicing the move higher than I usually do, because I've been working on the iguana/pencil grip from CAR and that requires you to be higher up on the pole. So I guess mentally, because I'm higher from the floor than I normally do it my body just starts to freeze and I get nervous.

• LillyBilly

May 9, 2013 at 1:25 am

@Pankak – What I discovered is that when you learn to "fall backward" from your hand stand/elbow stand correctly, it is much less scary. Basically what you do is you turn it into a forward roll.

• Silver Rea

May 9, 2013 at 2:32 am

I am scared of everything what has to do with letting the legs go off the pole.. Invert of course. Somehow the fact I have to let go and stay lean only on my arms let me struggle. I hope I will get used to these moves as I am pretty new and its been only few months poling behind me 🙁 Btw I know stupid question but what is CAR ? thanks <3

• Beckypolegirl

May 9, 2013 at 3:19 am

Cross ankle release x

• Silver Rea

May 9, 2013 at 3:26 am

ahhh I see, thank you 🙂

• Mary Ellyn

May 9, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Bow and Arrow is my worst! I don't even try it.

CAR scares me but I do it.

• chemgoddess1

May 9, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I have yet to get over my fear of a freaking cartwheel mount.  I am typically fine with head back moves but face forward moves mess me up.  Part of this also has to do with my inability to do an inverted split grip….I am afraid if I cannot even successfully get into that move then how am I going to control an invert into it?

Page 3 of 3