StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Scared of a move?

• Scared of a move?

Posted by Beckypolegirl on May 5, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Are you scared of a certain move? I am very anxious about doing a brass monkey as I fell out of one when learning it. Trying to gain confidence with it but its a slow process. My friend won’t even attempt a CAR as
    she is too scared even though she can do a CKR and a remi. So are you scared of a move and why?

chemgoddess1 replied 11 years ago 22 Members · 43 Replies
  • 43 Replies
  • azblanco

May 5, 2013 at 3:13 pm

CAR and advanced plank scares the fuck out of me (sorry for language, haha but its the truth)

I can do both moves but never feel secure. Its a hit and miss for me. I almost fell out of advanced plank and i wasnt close to falling out of CAR but it still makes me very uneasy.
    Its a move I have to go at a few times and feel really secure before i lean back.
    I really should practice it more and invest in a mat. I think it would help

• Beckypolegirl

May 5, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Getting a mat is a good idea wouldn’t be without mine. I am trying to do at least one brass monkey each practice to feel more confident. My advanced plank took ages to click but I loved CAR from the first attempt lol

• CrazyKosters

May 5, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I second CAR, I can't do it yet but ive been practicing with hands on and it scares me to try to lean back, I always feel slippery with that one. Don't know if i'll ever let go lol

• azblanco

May 5, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Yah Im thinking a mat is going to be my next investment. i want a second pole but a mat would probably be smarter to purchase first.
    What mat do you have?

• Beckypolegirl

May 5, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I got mine from a British company called ceetax. Really good quality and loads of colours to choose from I love mine its purple and silver 🙂

• CrazyKosters

May 5, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I need a crash mat too, but the ones ive seen are like 2-300 bucks and ? I know its worth it but i can't afford it right now. Is there anything good enough to use thats cheaper, like a foam mattress or something? would it be safe if you were lower on the pole? Ive tried pillows but not comfortable with that either…My floor is like cement to 🙁

• Beckypolegirl

May 5, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I know people have used foam mattresses before so should be ok. I used to use my bed duvet but that was rubbish lol

• CapFeb

May 5, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Hummingbird and downsplits I saw a girl once doing downsplits and her foot slipped off the pole and her face went right into the pole. She had done the move a thousand times, and still messed up. So I am terrified of that one, and won't do it unless spotted. 

Hummingbird is the same thing (humingbird is cupid, but your back is directly away from the pole instead of being to the side of the pole like in knee hold). I saw a girl fall out of it to her face.  You can drop from hummingbird into downsplits, which is like, ultimate terrifying. 
    Althought I'm afraid of anything and everything, including jellyfish, elevators, and bridges that go over water. |: 

• LillyBilly

May 5, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Everything that requires balancing while up side down used to really scare me (handstands, ayesha, straight edge – you name it). I was always afraid to fall backward.

• michaelaarghh

May 6, 2013 at 12:22 am

omg yes!! im trying so hard to do an inverted pencil (not sure what everyone calls it, but when you hold an upside down pencil in split grip)

im strong enough and feel secure enough but its like my ankle is too scared to let go of the pole haha!

• tacha666

May 6, 2013 at 1:00 am

Every inverted move without at least one leg gripping the pole really scares me. And I don’t know where to start. Extended butterfly? Ayesha? Any suggestions?

• michaelaarghh

May 6, 2013 at 1:38 am

@tacha666 – can you do a  normal butterfly? i'd start with that and then move to extended butterfly 🙂

• tacha666

May 6, 2013 at 3:07 am

Yes I can, but straightening the leg and only hooking with the ankle really scares me! But I’ll keep trying.

• Beckypolegirl

May 6, 2013 at 3:08 am

You will get there 🙂

• calipolepixie

May 6, 2013 at 11:48 am

Several. Extended butterfly, Ayesha(All grip styles), Pencil, Bow & Arrow & Hand & Elbowstands. Pretty much any move where my feet or legs have to come completely off the pole & am completely dependent on my arm/hand strength to execute the move. I like the look of the inverted thigh hold & recently got it but it still scares me to execute & I still struggle with it a lil now & then. I even fell out of it recently (first fall in pole), which scared the bejesus out of me.

My husband spots me sometimes but I still feel scared. Plus, I feel like I’m not always going to have a spotter there, so I need to get it confidently on my own without a spotter.

For me, time is usually a factor, in other words, eventually I work/push through the fear when I hit a pole dead end ie: I can’t progress further to other moves unless I learn the move. However, if its a move that I can put on the back burner for awhile until I am ready to work on it, then I do lol I also think having a crash mat will help & I plan on getting one soon.

Page 1 of 3