StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Really? REALLY?

• Crystabel

April 23, 2013 at 2:31 pm

LOL Serzi, I have to disagree on the bread. I LOVE IT! I will keep bread in my diet up until 3 days out from a figure or bikini comp- at which point I am on No Carbs anyway 🙂  It has never held me back, but people respond differently.

Jolene, don't get discouraged. Weight loss can come in big drops, then plateau, then will drop again. If your diet and exercise are good stick with it. From the posts on this thread you seem to have good nutrition choices. Make sure to get in plenty of water because that will help clear out the extra junk.

Hormones are a big factor and the few days leading up to the start of your cycle, and during ovulation can cause several pounds of water weight to show on the scale. If you weigh in every day you should mark down your cycle date (CD) with it. Track it for 2 or 3 months. That way when you are later only weighing in maybe once a month (or week if you feel the need to) you can see if it is just hormones.

When weighing in often you have to take hormones, hydration, sodium intake from previous day, carb intake, etc….. It is a pain and it really isn't that effective unless you are weighing in under the exact same circumstances each time. Too many fluctuations and variables to be reliable.

Hang in there!

• JoleneBell

April 23, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Wow! Thanks for all of the contributions of knowledge, you guys!

I am, as a matter of fact, hypothyroid. I was diagnosed a year ago and I am on levothyroxine (a thyroid support medication, and according to the most recent blood tests, my thyroid is now stable. A plug: Please "like" my Facebook page, Thyroid Disorders Awareness), progesterone and testosterone as well (hypothyroid issues cause hormone issues). The progesterone has been adjusted repeatedly over the last year, it's tricky to get to just the right dose. Too much can make you draggy and lethargic, too little can not help much at all. Switching up the doses has messed with my cycle for sure, causing me to bleed during ovulation sometimes, and have premature periods. Don't worry though, it's a process and it is gradually getting straightened out.

Therefore, Crystabel, I think you have a point when it comes to hormones. This may explain why my weight keeps fluctuating so extremely! It's likely mostly water weight changing as my hormones are trying to keep up with things. I happened to get on the scale this morning ( I know, I know!) and I have dropped two pounds now all of a sudden. 

I stay away from bread (carbs, as you know, turn to sugar in the body, causing insulin to spike and some of it stores as fat) as much as I can, though not completely (I don't really believe in 100% eliminating anything from your diet). Once I started doing that, I was amazed at how the weight's been dripping off! And let me tell you, carbs have always been my best friend. Potato chips, pasta, pastries, french bread… oh my goodnaaaassssss. 

ANYWAY, it seems that carbs were my Kryptonite.

I think Veena put it well in this thread, to look at the long term decline, like the stock market. (Or something like that 🙂 )

• Dwiizie

April 23, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Everyone has given great advice, anything I could say would probably be a repeat of something. But I will say, I have lost a LOT of weight, and I suffer hypothyroidism as well as PCOS (too much testosterone, not enough estrogen.) There are times I gain 10 lbs in a week, then I lose 12 in 2 days. ALL hormones. But the long term results, more strength, flexibility, less pain, better mindset, are well worth all the hard work. I started out at around 200 lbs, considered obese for my height. I am now around 145-150 depending on the day, and I find that the weight I "go back to" is the one I watch. I was hung on 151 for a while. I'd have a 148 day and feel great (149.9 is the number that says I'm healthy and not overweight, by BMI standards) then I'd see that 151 again. It wasn't too long before that "fall back" number was 147. I'm hoping the next will be even lower, but for the moment, I'm stuck there, but recognizing is what keeps me from feeling hopeless or helpless. And yes, if my thyroid level gets off, I WILL gain 30 lbs in an incredibly short period of time, and it is HARD to work them off when they get your levels right, and as soon as your levels are right, well, you lost x amount of weight so they need to adjust your dosage. I feel you. Just keep on keepin' on, you will overcome!

• Serzi

April 23, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Never said I hated bread. My ass and thighs on the other hand…

And water is awesome. Drink tons of it! It’s the best invention pre-dating sliced bread. lol

• SpyralBound

April 23, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I suffer from hypothyroid too, I was diagnosed at birth and have been on supplements all my life for it, though I don't take anything for hormones. 

For a while I was seeing an endocrinologist who turned out to be a quack – he put me on a much higher dosage than I needed. I dropped weight easily (I was also on the South Beach diet at the time) and felt better than ever. But his office closed all of a sudden, and I had my primary doctor take over my thyroid management. When I finally found a new endo, she winced when I said the quack's name and said he was known for over-prescribing. She said that while I may have felt better on the higher dose, over-dosing over the long term can be fatal. I had no idea! 

I have to admit I was frustrated because I really liked the idea that if I could just get back on that dosage, I'd get back down to a better weight and would feel all happy and energetic again. Obviously it's not worth the risk, but still. 

I did find out, during the process, that I can't be on the generic levothyroxine, I have to take Synthroid. Something about the way generics can come from different manufacturers and can vary a lot from batch to batch, depending where your pharmacy got it from, while Synthroid is more steady and stable. After struggling for a long time to level out my dosage, my doc finally said Let's just put you on Synthroid and see if that helps. So far, it has, A LOT. 

That's one thing that continues to confound me when it comes to my weight. How much of my struggle is my own fault (not doing the right things, or not doing enough of the right things) and how much is because of my lazy thyroid? If my thyroid hormone levels are under control, does that cancel out any effect that hypothyroidism would have on my weight? Questions I need to be asking my doc, not you guys, obviously. 

• Dwiizie

April 23, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I also find the Levoxl (brand name levothyroxine) was MUCH better than generics. Both my endos insist upon it (though my insurance company always "recommends the cheaper generic alternative). I am currently on Synthroid. It manages fairly well. More predictable release/absorption. 

• rbcaul1679

April 24, 2013 at 5:58 am

Hi would just like to mention that cardio will give less results over time in terms of weight loss. As you become fitter you are more energy efficient, meaning you burn LESS calories for the same amount of exercise. I say this as the OP has pointed out she went from around 15mins walking to 50mins. When you finish your cardio workout, the calorie burn stops.

Strength training will build muscle, which burns more at rest, and when you finish a strength training workout your calorie burn is increased for the rest of the day unlike cardio. It is more bang for your buck.

Calorie tracking can be an immensely useful tool for some especially those who actually have no idea of the actual number of calories they consume, its educational, but as others have shared it may not be for everyone if leading to obsessiveness.

PS you can still build muscle whilst dieting at a (sensible) calorie deficit if you are overweight. 

• HyperHorsegirl

April 24, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I use My Fitness Pal and love it. I went to a nutritionist in January and she tested my metabolic rate. She told me I should be eating 1400+ calories per day without exercise in order to lose weight. MFP lets you customize your calorie goals, so I plugged in 1400 and that's what it goes off of. You're not stuck with a 1200 calorie goal.

I have a coworker trying to lose 120 lbs in a year (she's down 50 in 7 months so far) and she's seeing the same nutritionist. When she wasn't seeing any progress at a certain calorie level, the nutritionist actually told her to INCREASE her intake. It seems counter-intuitive, but your body needs a certain amount of fuel to function, regardless of what activity you do. If your body is receiving less than this, it will begin to stagnate and hold on to nutrition where it can, to have guaranteed fuel. My coworker was burning more calories during her workouts than the nutritionist originally thought, so she wanted her to eat more to give her body more fuel to handle it. Sure enough, the next week, my coworker started losing weight again.

The nutritionist also told me that if I was going to work out, that I would need to eat more and add on some calories. I assume that this is what you mean by "eating back" calories. She explained that your calorie goal is a NET (input-output=net) goal, so I don't feel like I'm "eating back" calories. I focus on getting my NET number to what I was told it should be, through a process that was scientifically measured by a professional. That net number is already set at a deficit, I don't need to make a bigger deficit which might put me at unhealthy levels. You can disagree (and even think I'm stupid), but this is what I believe and that opinion is unlikely to change. If I work too hard exercising and don't eat to meet my net calorie goal, my energy goes down and I feel like I'm starving over the next few days, regardless of what I eat. My body is telling me I need more! I've gotten pretty good at listening to what my body needs, so now that I've been doing this for several months, I can tell when I don't eat enough and when I'm overeating. I have to "eat back" calories or my body feels miserable. I know there's a lot of debate around "starvation mode" and all that. All I know is that I trust this nutritionist, she's very qualified, she has lots of happy clients (including some very important people) who have seen results, and her advice has worked for me and my coworker.

I've lost 10 lbs (when I was weighed last month – I don't own a scale) since January. She helped me see what I needed to do, and I've been doing it and have seen a change. It's been slow, but change is happening. From January 14th to April 1st, I have lost 10 lbs! That is SOMETHING! I hope that when I get weighed again at the end of the month I can add another 3 or 4 lbs to my total lost. I think I can.

Everyone is different and what works for me and my metabolism may not work for others. Even though we saw the same nutritionist, my coworker and I are on very different plans with different goals, even though we both want to lose weight. I just wanted to share what I was doing and what has worked for me.

Page 3 of 3