StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Really? REALLY?

• FlyingFireBird

April 23, 2013 at 10:26 am

I’m going to repeat what everyone else said about the scale – ditch it. My scale just told me I gained 6lbs but my pants told me I dropped a size. If your current pants are big you’re doing something right.

• yrngrl

April 23, 2013 at 10:31 am

I wouldn't ditch it… by the time your current pants don't fit you've probably gained 10+ lbs already. That said, don't obsess over it either, it's normal for weight to fluctuate for a lot of reasons (for me, I can be up 2-3 lbs one day if I ate Chinese food, but it's gone the next, and so on). I weigh once a week, same time and day, and just keep my eyes peeled for trends. I don't freak out if I'm up a bit one week, but if I'm up the next week, and the next… well, then, something is up and I can adjust before it gets out of hand.

• LucilleHighball

April 23, 2013 at 10:34 am

As far as MFP goes, I don't eat 1200 calories a day. I calculated my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and I am eating at a 20% deficit. I eat almost 1600 calories a day and if I need more on my days I work out, I do. If you don't eat enough you wont gain muscle, and I think everyone who poles wants to be strong.

If you want to calculate your TDEE this site is one of the best: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

• abcollins1

April 23, 2013 at 10:48 am

You wont build muscle on 1600 cals a day, it just wont happen.

When you diet, your body downregulates your metabolism in response to the lowered energy coming in, or it engages in a little recycling, which is how people can lose lean mass as well as fat. Your body literally slows down your metabolism to a point and stops any unneccesary bodily process (building muscle). Eating too little cals or incorrect macros, can cause the body to break down muscle tissue.  So other than those who are just beginning in their workouts (aka newbie gains) your body is not designed to build muscle while it is not getting sufficent calories to do so.

Many people incorporate a  'refeed' each week to negate the downregulation and re-set hormones such as leptin (which controls hunger), T3 and others so that we can continue to burn fat.(often times called a cheat meal or sometimes a free meal)

Lyle McDonald has a lot of information on these processes in his books and on his site- 'A guide to flexible dieting' is a good one if you're interested. He backs his reasoning with real science, very informative and great reading to understand the processes of the body.

If you are dieting, then you dont "eat back" the calories that you burned through exercise. This takes your 20% deficit and makes it more like a 5% deficit. You should be eating the same amount of calories each day, no matter the workout. The workout doesnt make you lose fat, it helps expend calories to make the deficit bigger. You lose weight by being in the correct calorie deficit, not from working out. That 20% and TDEE should take into consideration how much work you are doing each day, so there is no need to eat extra cals or to eat back the calories.

• LucilleHighball

April 23, 2013 at 10:53 am

I think there are tons of opposing opinions out there, with science to back it up. This is working for me. I eat clean and tons of protein and good fats. Everyone is different. I was just trying to give some advice that has led me to successes. I was 220 pounds and now I am 160…

• abcollins1

April 23, 2013 at 11:17 am

You must understand, taining an untrained and overweight individual and getting them to lose weight is quite easy. Its not that complicated. You get in a calorie deficit, you move your body, and then you lose weight.

If you are not losing weight, then you are no longer in a cal deficit.

Eating clean doesnt mean you will automatically lose weight. You can gain weight eating clean as well, if you are eating more than you expand. Also, eating clean is a marketing ploy. There is no real definition of what eating clean means. Ask 10 different people and everyone of them will give you a different answer. While i agree that for health we should limit processed foods, eat lots of fruits and veggies, get good cources of proteins and fats in, its not the reason you lose weight.

If it were, then how did people los weight before clean eating came around?? why can people lose weight eating only potatoes or junk foods?? Because they are under their calories.

I dont think there are tons of opposing sciences out there for weight loss. The body only works a certain way, and barring any abnormal medical issue, the body will continue to only work a certain way. Metabolism is metabolism no matter what animal you are looking at (human or otherwise) the body only breaks down proteins, fats and carbs, and transforms it into ATP, the body only makes certain hormones and applies them in certain ways.

While everyone is different in their structure and genetic makeup, their muscle shape and attachments, no ones body is different in the way we break down foods and use it to fuel the body. We are not all that special or all that different from any other animal on the planet in that regards.

• LucilleHighball

April 23, 2013 at 11:19 am

Thanks for the info.

• portableninja

April 23, 2013 at 11:49 am

I think what Lucille meant is not that there are opposing approaches to the scientific study of weight loss and metabolism, but that there are different philosophies to the same basic layman's approach – eat less (but well) and do more.

• abcollins1

April 23, 2013 at 12:03 pm

No, most "diets" are the same concept repackaged to get people to buy into a "quick fix" and make tons of money. All diets are eat less, move more… they just change one thing to make is sound "new" and "different". From The Zone, Atkins, South Beach, weight watchers, jenny craig, keto, paleo, curves, HCG, blood type. low fat no fat, low carb no carb….. the message is the same Eat less, move more….

The difference is that they spread misinformation, people latch on to this as "it worked for me so thats how it works, you must only eat clean, no carbs, no fat, take a pill, only eat the foods they tell you"

They all work to a point because the basic concept is "eat less move more" except they dont teach you how to eat healthy for life. They dont teach you how to make meal plans (as someone else said they were struggling with), they dont teach portions they dont teach calorie control or awarness.

It takes work to lose weight, the underlyiing concept is simple, but yes you have to track foods, be aware of what you are eating, think about how to cook it and what you can make. It is work to be healthy and to lose weight…. there are no quick fixes that these diets promise and that is why people will gain weight after they stop doing the diet. They eat more and move less….. it didnt become a lifestyle, it became something they did or were on.

So really there is no "opposing approaches" it is all eat less move more, just different ways of making money for the "inventors: of the latest movement.

• LucilleHighball

April 23, 2013 at 12:10 pm

@abcollins1 I completely understand what you are saying, and not disagreeing with you. I actually think we are trying to say the same things. I don't spend money on any dieting sites. I count my calories and try to get the most bang for my buck, ie protein to keep me full. I eat things I want but balance them out. Its not a diet, but I didn't learn proper nutrition growing up, so its a learning experience. And, like I said, it has worked for me. I think you have extremely valuable points and anyone looking for a quick fix will gain more weight back and have less money in their pocket.

• portableninja

April 23, 2013 at 12:32 pm

This is really interesting because I can see the differences between the scientific, data driven approach to diet and exercise, in conjunction with the idea to keep things realistic and achievable for the widest variety of people.

I think it's important to consider the emotional consequences of making changes in your diet. So much of our daily lives revolves around food, and more importantly the sharing of food. Although it is possible to control your food and activity choices in your own daily routine, life has a way of throwing curve balls and not always in a negative way. We attend weddings, go to dinner with old friends, and derive pleasure from trying new and exotic cuisines and engaging in activities that are not strictly exercise. To deny ourselves these experiences on account of health is counterproductive, in my opinion. But we can make smart choices to minimize the damage, so to speak.

I feel like it takes a certain type of person to derive satisfaction from religiously counting calories and eating optimally for maximum health benefits. Some people are really into data-driven fitness. My husband is one of them – he wears a Fitbit, tracks his calorie consumption, wears a heart rate monitor, counts his reps and times his rests and keeps a big spreadsheet of personal fitness data. For him his progress is very measurable and real and most importantly the reasons for his progress can be pinpointed with hard data. He's a scientist by profession, so it makes sense.

For me, it's really draining to spend all this time and effort on having a 100% optimal eating and exercising experience. It also leads to me getting very down on myself when I make one small mistake (like going out for coffee with a friend after I've already had my calories for the day, having to refuse offers of home cooked food, having a day when I feel tired or ill and don't finish my workout, etc.). Living in such a regimented fashion would lead to emotional consequences for me that I think would outweigh the benefits.

That doesn't mean my approach is more scientifically sound with regard to health and fitness… I know it's a lot less effective than doing everything "right." But it works for me, and it's better than nothing. I try to look at my diet and exercise plan as a set of guidelines rather than hard fast rules. For me, it leads to greater success and full body health in the long run (meaning for the rest of my life).

• portableninja

April 23, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Sadly, I have to agree with you too MemphisKitten… I wasn't going to mention it, but I began to develop a very negative and unhealthy relationship with food as well. I'm wary of going down that road again. The middle path is the one that works for me – treat my body with respect and honor, but let myself live a little too.

• poletrickster

April 23, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I've dropped 70 lbs by cutting wheat and gluten out of my diet which helped regulate my insulin level which was the reason why I could not get under 200 lbs. Aside from that learning that hunger is not an emergency helps keep me from overeating. If I have eaten then I know I wont die of starvation if I deny myself that extra meal or food. I don't count anything and I no longer weigh I just use clothes as a tool to know if I am still where I should be. If I cannot fit into my tight jeans I just evaulate what I have been eating a little closer. With my blood sugars in check I no longer crave sweets at all so that makes it really easy to avoid the obvious fattening foods. But if I want something I allow it and don't allow any guilt or worry about it. Do things now at your current weight and size that make you feel good about yourself. If you haven't already get a checkup to see if insulin or thyroid could be a reason for your struggle with weight loss.. These are just what helped me finally lose weight after trying everything and having no success. most importantly is I feel great, if you feel ill or miserable and deprived all the time then your chosen weight loss methods are not right for you. best wishes

• Serzi

April 23, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I hate having to eat. It is a huge financial, mental, physical, and emotional burden on my life. So, I put down the freaking books, calculators, and scales. I eat only when I need to and I work out whenever possible. There will be days where I indulge, but not many. I do enjoy food, I just hate having to eat. Diets are miserable because it makes me focus on something I absolutely hate and I’ve never seen much change counting calories.

So, I work out frequently and I mainly eat just to replenish. It’s never been easier to control my weight and stress levels than now. lol

• Serzi

April 23, 2013 at 1:54 pm

And bread sucks. I avoid bread and all forms of it.

Page 2 of 3