• ORGANIC ANGEL

November 19, 2011 at 9:07 am

I am not sure just how uncommon the negative things are. Like I said in an earlier post, I personally ran into identity theft on a daily basis with it(with only 1 out of 10-12) ads being real, and friends and family have been robbed by craiglist users. These are the unfortunate, but not extreme edge cases, b/c of the constant with them. While it may be more likely to die in many other ways, it is still important to point out what and how to handle situtations, especially for women, because these things DO happen. We can help prevent them. If I never used this resource before, I wouldn't know to look out for certain things and that is my only intent for posting. It isn't to scare someone away from it, but be smart about certain activity. I wish all who do use it well, and I even still use it, but I am cautious and know what to look out for.

• chemgoddess1

November 20, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Holy crap!  That stoy happened in the city where I work!  Well. at least that is whre the kids was from.  Thing is, people who are this sick are going to find any means they can to unleash their venom.

• nymphdancer

November 20, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I agree Pam. Checked out Craigslist just for amusement the job section on ours seem to have little in the way of jobs other then nursing that pay aboove about 11 bucks an hour.

• SpyralBound

November 21, 2011 at 7:38 am

I've never had anything good job-wise come out of Craigslist. I only got scammed once, and luckily it wasn't bad, I didn't LOSE any money, I just started working a job (from home – ghostwriting articles for the web) and didn't get paid after the first month. Luckily, very easy to quit, and they didn't go after my PayPal account or anything.

We're trying to rent out our condo right now using Craigslist and Zillow. Got burned BADLY by the last tenant we got off of Craigslist, partially because we didn't do enough homework on the person. She moved in, paid the first month's rent and the security deposit, and then stopped paying us and trashed the place. We had to replace the entire carpet because of her. 🙁 So I am definitely wary of Craigslist after that experience.

CareerBuilder.com has been my best resource and is how I found my current job (and scored all the interviews that preceded it). There ARE scams, but it's less like Craigslist in that the scams usually come to you. There aren't very many illegitimate job postings, but you will get emails from random people saying they saw your resume/CV on Craigslist and then usually point you to a link to set up a time for an interview, or try to entice you by promising a certain amount of pay up-front or the perk of being able to work from home. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between legit inquiries and spam, though.

Good luck!

• Dancing Paws

November 21, 2011 at 8:47 am

I'd be wary of "work from home" jobs personally.

Page 2 of 2