• Posted by Dadgirl21 on November 17, 2011 at 11:30 am

I lost my job, Reduction in Force, last hired first fired. So looks like I won’t be getting my pole anytime soon. ;0{, sad

Dancing Paws replied 12 years, 6 months ago 8 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • Dancing Paws

November 17, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Start hopping on craigslist NOW! When you submit resumes on craigslist, only have your e-mail and phone muber, NO ADDRESS, since there will be creepers on there. If anyone responds asking for personal info, just ignore the e-mail. Legit interviews will call you to set up the interview. Once they set up the interview, go online and look up the company to make sure it is a real company. Keep resumes in your car and hand them out wherever you go. Most places that are hiring will not have signs. Hand out resumes even if they aren't hiring. Most places are takig resumes and will call you once something opens up. Fill out all the online application that you can. Most places have application online now and will accept application ecen if they aren't hiring.

• ORGANIC ANGEL

November 17, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I would be extemely careful about craigslist and posting any info! Myself and ton of people I know experienced a lot of scams on it. People want your info and can steal it etc. They also use it to meet and rob people. There have been instances of meeting for jobs and them really being human trafficking and adult entertainment movies when they meet instead.(sorry,I have been home lately and watching the news wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much, along with Investigation Discovery  channel T.V. shows). Reply to any that you see, but I would use it to post ANY info. Also be leary of anyone asking for social security information, banking info. or anything like that.

In the mean time, can you spring some extra cash by selling anything on ebay? I love to see clothes lots. They always sell. I sell books too and that helps.

Sorry you lost your job and hopefully you'll find something soon!

• ORGANIC ANGEL

November 17, 2011 at 4:51 pm

supposed to say, would not use it to post ANY info

(for me personally- I ran into the scams about identity)

• Dancing Paws

November 17, 2011 at 7:01 pm

You NEVER give personal infon craigslist. EVER! Like I said, look up the company to see if it is legit. I had several interviews off of craigslist (like 4 or 5) all real companies, but I did it safely. they never asked for persoanl info. Their companies were searchable online.

• Webmaster

Administrator
    November 17, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Craigslist is one of the top ways to procure a job now.  It's not as scary as everyone makes it out to be.  Just keep in mind that most legitimate positions will not ask you to submit to an email address but instead will link through to the companies website with a hiring portal and method for submitting your resume.

• Dancing Paws

November 17, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I'm from a medium sized town where most of the companies are from the stone age, so none of them have websites. I had to actually email them all my resume. Hopefully you don't have to do that though. The job I have now, I got it off of craigslist. I am now an office manager. You can create a special craigslist e-mail if you are paranoid, but you still need to have your phone number for them to contact you if they are interested in an interview. All the ones who were interested called me the next day are so.

• nymphdancer

November 17, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Craigslist I think would depend on the type of job your looking for. Hubby is looking right now but is mainly going through linked in, the almuni association, and special job fairs the hold just for Veterans and military academy grads. If I was looking I would check all the on line resourses for job hunting this area has to offer. But I will openly admit I have only looked on Craigslist a few times for anything. I don't know whether it just isn't a big thing here or what but there is never much of anything on it.

• PaulettePoles

November 18, 2011 at 4:29 am

I advertise for emplyment all the time on Craigslist. It is my #1 choice anymore.

Persoanlly if someone just emails me back their phone # and says call me- I wont.

I use Craigslist and the online convenience to read through resumes before I invite them for an interview. I wouldnt be offended if someone were to block out their address for safety reasons- but I definitely need their resume and work history, before I will waste my time contacting them to meet in erson for interview. I want to know that they are qualified for the position I am offereing.

I also like Craigslist because I can choose to have my email annonymous- I also DONT post my business name or address upfront. I email them that info once I make the decision to go on the next level to set up an interview. Otherwise, my busineeses are swamped w unqualified applicants stopping in or calling and wasting my time.

If you want a businees owner to notice you- you HAVE to give them some info to make a decision on and spark their interest in you. I know for me, Just an email and phone # gets deleted. I understand privacy and safety- but if someone refuses to send me a resume- they dont get hired! I have had people offer to bring by in person- but by then, I have ususally already found a qualified candidate who was wiling to share.

Just my 2 cents as a businees owner! I dont have time to persue them. They have to supply me w the info or I just move on! So I would give as much info as possible while still protecting yoruself.  I dont think someone would be offended if you disclosed your true identity nce you have sparked some interest in your potential employer.

• ORGANIC ANGEL

November 18, 2011 at 7:10 am

@ Paulette, It's great that you can rely on Craiglist as the business owner. I don't doubt that there are true companies looking to search for qualified candidates this way, but as someone on the other side of the fence-unfortunately, there are a ton of scams. 1 out of 10 listings is FAKE where we are. They are not limited to a certain catagory of jobs either. The sad thing is that people also pose as companies, sending them to a site that looks legit and askes them to fill out information on it. Thesse comapies pose as famous banks and other comapies that would recognize names. If I ever saw a job listing that I liked, I have to have a new protocol. I call the company itself first(usually by looking up the true address and phone number) and asking them if they did post a link in craigslist. If they did, than I'd have no problem sending them a resume. Even though you can block out certain information such as your email, it still gives the person a lot of personal information about you-enough to do searches to find out your true identity and such.

@nymph-Ya, I experienced the same with the way people post. There isn't much for this small town that I flocked to- and unfortunately that goes to a two hour radius! BUT in big cities, it does seem to work better. I have lived in Miami, DC and Annapolis, all of which are a little better with real postings and better luck. BUT there also have been a ton of thefts from people that I know in those cities! (For example, people were selling things on craigslist-when the people would show up-they would rob them! One meeting was at a house-so their house was messed up and their dog was injured in the attack.)

Always meet in a public place if going to meet one on one. I am sure that craigslist is a great tool when used properly, but unfortunately-I have seen too many horror stories because of the criminal activity associated with it.

• chemgoddess1

November 18, 2011 at 7:20 am

I learned about Indeed about a year ago.  It will pull postings from all the major job sites and also local companies.  It is kind of like Kayak but for jobs.

And a quick note on Craigslist, it really depends on your area.  There are quite a few legitimate postings here in Ohio for jobs and I have even been on an interview with one.

• Dadgirl21

November 18, 2011 at 9:04 am

Thank you everyone for your advice.  I have filed for unemployment, and I have spoken to my lawyer friends to get the word out and I have sent resume's to numerious companies. Now it is just a waiting game.

• Dancing Paws

November 18, 2011 at 9:24 am

I looked at indeed as well. Where I am at, it didn't have nearly the hits as craigslist did. The online job boards require businesses to pay, and with the recession, businesses want cheap options. It all depends on where you are from. Check every option.

• ORGANIC ANGEL

November 18, 2011 at 5:55 pm

http://www.fox8.com/news/akroncanton/wjw-news-stow-student-arrested-craigslist-ad-murder,0,2288320.story?htp=ju_bn5 

Here is proof of a bad ad posted. This is like the third bad thing I have read in the news this week about the site. Just sayin-be careful.

• Dancing Paws

November 18, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I just gotta emphasize the need to verify that they are legitimate businesses in legitimite locations. That example was not something I would have thought to go to. That screamed dangerous. I would NEVER go to someones house. Not in a million years. Never go to a business that is remote either. It has to be in town in a busy area, business buiding, etc. Drive by the interview location to check it out.

• Webmaster

Administrator
    November 18, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I think it’s important to note that the negative stories you hear about Craig’s list, while unfortunate, are extreme edge cases. Each of the very few stories are one out of millions upon millions of users. It is more likely that you will be killed by falling airplane debris or lightning than by applying for a job on Craig’s list.

Always use common sense but don’t let media sensationalism scare you away from a very valuable resource.

Page 1 of 2