StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Outdoor DIY Pole

• LyraPole

September 9, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Could someone post a link to the original post to which you’re referring? I need to build one for height outside and would love some good quality instructions! Also what is everyone talking about putting “finish” on the pole? Does this get costly? Is it a DIY process or something you have to hire out for?

• WebJunk

September 9, 2014 at 12:24 pm
  • zuzulya

September 9, 2014 at 10:19 pm

I went to Home Depot and bought a ten foot galvanized steel pole. I also bought a three foot section and a coupling. I threaded them together, used a posthole digger to dig a hole in my backyard, mixed one and a half bags of quickrete, sunk the pole so the coupled joint was below ground, shoveled the concrete in and waited for it to cure. My husband rigged up a plumbline so it’s straight…now I have a ten foot pole in my yard. Super easy!

• WebJunk

September 10, 2014 at 10:30 am

You will want to check it before each use. I don’t IMO think you used nearly enough cement. The dirt will shift over time. Also a threaded coupling is not designed for movement. The threads will wear out although if you used loctite/thread sealant it would help. Most of those are cast metal and prone to cracking from movement. Hope it works out for you safely.

• zuzulya

September 10, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Thanks for the input but the pole is in good shape….the coupling was sealed and tight and the concrete is solid. The pole doesn’t move and I went over details with both my pole instructor who has a similar setup as well as checking with an engineer. Safety was and is my priority. The pole doesn’t move and I’ve not had any difficulties with it. If the ground shifts or the pole moves, well, then we start over!

• Prplegrl10

September 11, 2014 at 7:45 am

zuzulya- did you do anything to the finish of the galvanized steel pipe?

• Girl On A Pole

September 14, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Oh wow. Answer to my prayers. No space or height for an indoor pole. Book marking for future reference. I’d LOVE that pole ❤️

• zuzulya

September 15, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Prplgrl10-I haven’t done anything to the finish…it’s different than the studio and definitely reacts to the temp! Certain times of the day are better than others. So far, I’ve had fun with it but we’ll see how it is after a cold and frozen winter!

Page 2 of 2