StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions DIY outside pole

• DIY outside pole

Posted by jAyJaY12 on July 29, 2014 at 3:53 am

I had been lurking on this side for a long time, so I don’t consider myself a newbie.

I’d like to put a pole outside making it from “scratch”. I was intending to get a steel pipe, covering it with a layer of brass, and digging a hole in the ground, and using concrete to keep it in place.

Had anyone tried a similar thing? If so, how was it?

I already have a 50mm X-pert chrome in the garage as well.

chriswarner replied 9 years, 9 months ago 8 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • ksthies2805

July 29, 2014 at 9:48 pm

I built mine inside with conduit It is very strong! and cheaper 🙂

• jAyJaY12

July 30, 2014 at 1:11 am

That sounds awesome!!

It is coated with something else? I’d like to coat it with brass.

• ksthies2805

July 30, 2014 at 2:18 pm

I just sanded it and coated it with lacquer (like clear paint) I haven’t seen one with brass but I am sure you could do that! (mine is also on a lazy Suzanne so it spins!)

• Dolce Vita

July 30, 2014 at 2:21 pm

ksthies2805, can you upload a picture of the pole you made? I’d love to see it.

• Prplegrl10

July 31, 2014 at 7:49 am

I’m interested too as I would like to use one outside because my ceilings are so low in my house.

• WebJunk

July 31, 2014 at 10:57 am

I can’t find pictures right now (fighting off pneumonia this week) but have put a couple of them up outside. A note on painting, galvanized pipe or conduit is extremely difficult to paint. It might stick initially but often will start to peel. You would need to sand it a lot and use a cleaner to remove the oils and there is still no guarantee it will hold up. And plain galvanized can give you some fantastic leg burns. Otherwise there is stainless pipe.

I went an easy route. Took a 5 gallon bucket and drilled four holes but slightly off-center (that allows later for the main pole) at different angles. This is to stick two pieces of pipe about 3-4 feet long through the holes in the bucket. Dig a hole in the ground so the top of the bucket is inches below ground level and wide enough for the pipes sticking out. Now mix concrete to sink the bottom (underneath) of the bucket and the outside where the pipes stick out covering them over them. Make sure the bucket is level! Near the bottom of the main pole I added a piece of rebar close to the diameter of the bucket through the pole. When the first concrete has almost set bring the main pole and place it in the bucket centered. Pour cement to fill the bucket completely. Make sure the pipe is 100% level! I add a couple of pieces of wood in the ground temporarily to help keep it centered until the concrete has cured. Cover the rest with dirt and add any type of floor.

I know people who have done this without adding the pipes through the bucket and over time it looks like the Leaning Pole of Pisa 🙂 I myself used three pieces through the bucket (triangles are strongest!) but tend to overbuild everything. It really is not that expensive and does not take more than a couple of hours. Let the concrete set completely before using. Would put one in my backyard but I live in a very conservative area.

• Sarahb69

July 31, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Mine is made of 42mm black iron piping…the hole was dug to 5 feet deep and filled in with concrete. The pipe itself was sanded then primered and painted with a Tremclad type paint. Grip is really good on humid days, and the height is just about 18 feet. Due to the height of the pole, we attached 4 guy wires anchored to various points around the house/yard to prevent the excessive swaying. You can see the pole in action here: https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/4fc37ff9-8f08-4d1b-8e5d-088f0ac37250

• zuzulya

August 2, 2014 at 11:15 am

I just did this recently. Mine is 13 feet of galvanized steel sunk 3 feet into concrete. It’s 1 1/4″ inside diameter which makes it about a 45….In the evening when the temperature drops it’s less grippy but other than that it’s been great. I use Defining Gel from It Works! if grip is an issue….it really makes a difference! I love being able to work on things outside. Good luck!

• chriswarner

August 2, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I did this a few weeks ago using the same concreting method as WebJunk and a 3 metre length of 40mm stainless steel handrail. I put a mirror finish on the pole using Hyfin polishing compound and buffing mop on an electric drill. This mirror finish made all the difference to the grip, it is now about the same as a 40mm chrome X-Pole, but is completely weather resistant.