StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions My competition routine – please critique

• Kira

February 2, 2012 at 11:52 am

that's why I prefer wearing heels hahaha – it makes me feel more confident, corrects my posture and  I still straighen my legs but you can't see my ugly plank feet 😀

tbh I hate competing but there are rarely any showcases so the worry of being judged is VERY much on my mind when I perform and is often my downfall.

I've taken all your wonderfully helpful critique on board and next performance will hopefully be heaps better! :)) mwwwaaaah thanks guys!! xx

• Black Orchid

February 3, 2012 at 9:29 am

You have lots of amazing vocabulary! Nice.

I think I would say the same as most people here…for the next one, consider taking out about half the tricks and instead work on transition and maybe storytelling if that's part of the choreography. It's like that classic fashion tip about looking in the mirror before you go out and taking off one or more things. WHen I start choreographing a routine ( of any kind) I know I throw in the whole kitchen sink because I get so excited. When I calm down I start thinking about what I take out in order to make room for transitions, audience connection and the ability to hold a move long enough to impress.

Good luck! I am thinking about entering a competition in the summer and then I'll be in the same boat as you 🙂

• ShonaLancs

February 4, 2012 at 9:33 am

Ollie,

well done for competing, you are very brave. My pole exam was nerve wracking enough, I have no idea how you manage to control your nerves to compete in front of all those people. I wish I had know you were competing I would have come to watch, was it in Manc?

I am by no means an expert, but to pass comment anyway…as a newbie to poling I appreciated how difficult the moves you were doing were but I dont think an unknowing audience would have been able to appreciate the difficulty of them, as you didnt seem to hold each move for very long.

You're routine looked LOADS better towards the end…you'd probably got rid of your nerves by then, huh?

Well done… 🙂

Page 2 of 2