StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions My competition routine – please critique

• My competition routine – please critique

Posted by Kira on January 31, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Hey guys I took part in a competition last saturday and although I didn't place I was pretty happy with my routine considering the pole was really wobbly, it was freeeezing and it seemed like I was the only 'advanced' student there which didn't have a dance or gymnastics background!

I hadn't poled much for a few months so only had 3 weeks to knock this together so apologies for the lazy inverting and if you have any (nice) criticisms please let me know, I'm always up for improving my routines…. next up will be to learn some dance moves and engage with audience a bit more 🙂

http://youtu.be/G8mHqIr03jU

ShonaLancs replied 12 years, 3 months ago 12 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • emotioncatcher

January 31, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I really loved your routine. It fitted so well to the music, you had an "easy" intro which I always like and also showed some more unpopular tricks like the u-bend!

as you already noticed your execution wasn´t always perfect, but still very pretty. =)

you did a great job!

• VinterVild

February 1, 2012 at 2:16 am

I think you did a great job, lots of interesting combos and a nice mix of power moves and more mellow stuff.

The one thing that will lift the performance is if you point your feet when climbing, doing CAR, in inverted crusifix, whenever you can! I have problems with that too, but it gives so much to point your feet 🙂

• chemgoddess1

February 1, 2012 at 6:03 am

The one biggest thing I saw is that you seemed rushed through the entire performance.  You have a slow song however you are moving from trick to trick to trick….some of those could have been heald quite a bit longer.  On the trick front….it also seemed like you were trying to throw every single move that you know into this perfomance.  Every single move you do should be something you don't even have to think about.  It is not always about the tricks but how you accentuate them.  By the middle of the song I had already forgotten what you had done at the beginning because there was just too much there.

• eebee

February 1, 2012 at 8:10 am

Overall, I thought you did a great job! I love that you packed the routine with tons of tricks. The routine flowed alot better towards the end with the music and your transitions. I do, however, feel that the routine was lifeless at times and didn't showcase any personality or evoke a feeling. Some of your transitions seemed a bit choppy. I would have liked to see them flow together more and see you feel through the music better. Take time to smile and have fun. You looked a bit robotic at times, almost in a trance. Your routine seemed more like a practice session than a performance, where you're more focused on hitting every trick.

Just work on the performance aspect of your routine. I've seen tons of videos of polers with alot less talent, but they were more enjoyable to watch and memorable because of the level of their presentation. It can be grace, fluidity, style, expression, your love of poling shining through, or anything. I hope this helps.

• HollySatine

February 1, 2012 at 8:18 am

I agree with all of the above, and as far as the "lazy inverting" goes, it would be awesome if you could work on cleaning that up because (in addition to the non-pointed toes in some places), it really took away from the routine.  It's almost hard to watch you do all of these graceful moves – including a perfectly beautiful split grip crazy-advanced move – and then see you not being able to execute an invert with the same ease, especially because the rest of the routine was so beautiful!  And the ending was perfect – I LOVE that spin!

• Kira

February 1, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Thanks guys, sounds a bit weird but it's what I wanted to hear! getting critique off you professionals is always very helpful 😉

VinterVild – when I did most the moves/spins I was pointing the heck out of my feet but they never look as pointed as other dancers because they hardly have an arch when I am pointing – and I am pointing by tightening all my leg muscles down from the thigh allll the way down to my feet but they still just look like wooden planks :/

Chemgoddess – I agree. I know there were probably too many tricks (and probably added to my downfall as I was really tired halfway through) but I always panic about that in competitions. I know floorwork/dance is not my strongpoint so all I have is the pole and I worry that the judges think I am not capable of doing anything if I just do some pretty holds or spins so I go at it full force and cram in things I think will impress. Which I know is the wrong way about it but it's a habit I will have to learn to break! I panic about if I go 'too slow' for the music I will miss a move and then I will have to freestyle and I just freeze…

eebee – I also agree to an extent. I really felt that music when I was dancing to it and to me the music and my moves were one, so I guess I was in a sort of trance. However I know there is a difference between dancing for yourself or dancing for an audience. And that's the part I have a problem with and again, will be working on. I seem to get embarassed and feel more self-conscious when I try and include the audience into my routine, I much prefer to go into my own pole bubble and dance for myself but I know that is really boring for someone just watching….. 

and your point is proven right on the night as someone that was in intermediate did hardly any pole but because she was so engaging and funny she won the audience over

• poleprincess89

February 1, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I love watching you on youtube and i love your tricks. The routine was impressive and i liked all your graceful tricks. however, i do agree with what someone said about working on the inverting. it helps a ton. also, i would add more dacey things to transition from trick to trick. another important thing to add was that I didn't care too much for the music. It's not a song that most people would like. it didn't even look like you were too into the song yourself. you have to find a song that moves you and moves the audience as well. also, you should look at the audience every once in a while while you're holding a great trick to get their attention. this will help u engage with the audience more. hold the really impressive tricks a little longer while looking at the audience and stroking your hair or something, like you're accentuating it. i'm not an expert or anything but i watch alot of youtube videos and it's obvious which ones were great performances. hope that helps

• poleprincess89

February 1, 2012 at 1:01 pm

i meant dancey** and between combos not tricks

• Kobajo84

February 1, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I didn't notice anything wrong with your feet.  It's a pet peeve of mine and I'm easily distracted by the feet when watching a performance and I was specifically watching yours and your points are beautiful.  The one thing that was distratcing to me was that it was rushed (nerves can do that to you) and your transitions from move to move were choppy.  The transitons should be seamless- slowing down in certain areas will help create a seamless flow.  This is just something you work on with time.  The routine was very lovely- it just needs to be slower to match the slow song. 

• glitterhips

February 1, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Ok, I will tell you (and everyone) the NUMBER ONE thing for competition routines. I feel like this is one of the most important things to remember besides pointing your toes.

DO NOT do any move you cannot do perfectly, in your sleep, backwards, while you are knitting a sweater and cooking dinner for your family. I have heard so many pros and choreographers say this and it's so true. People would rather see a beginner move done perfectly, beautifully and effortlessly than a harder one done not as well. However, that being said I think you did great but I will also agree with whoever said it had a bit too many tricks. That is funny to me because I actually came in third in a competition where I could have placed higher but my routine didn't have enough tricks, the judges told me later! We had the exact opposite problem 🙂 But I thought you did amazing and I give major respect to anyone who competes, I only did a regional pole comp but the whole experience was way harder than I thought, but rewarding. What I said about about the difficulty level is probably the explanation 99% of the time when people ask "Why did the less advanced girl not win?!" It's really good you are asking for constructive criticism I should do the same with mine! In my eyes you are a winner just for competing 🙂

• glitterhips

February 1, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Oops I meant to say "why did the less advanced girl win"

• chemgoddess1

February 1, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I also want to thank you for actually listening to the critiques without getting upset.  After the recent events I was hesitant to post anything but at the same time in order for us to grow I think we need others to look at our performance and see where we need work.

• Ember

February 1, 2012 at 10:59 pm

That was really pretty!  I know most of the comments on here were about the number of tricks you did, but I think it comes down to personal preference.  I like to watch tricks, and I confess that when I watch a video, I usually skip through the floorwork. I have two critiques:

1.  When you do a trick, try to count slowly in your head to 10.  That way the crowd has time to register what you are doing, and there is adequate time to react (clap)  I have a hard time with this too, I feel like sometimes I am in a pose forever before I hear people start to clap. 🙂

2.  Transitions:  at one point in the routine, you did a hood ornament, then came down, then lifted back up into a Jade.  Instead, try to group poses like this together (from hood ornament, you could lift right into jade) so there is less time spent coming down, it helps conserve energy too.  By saving time you can add larger bits of floor stuff if you wish, or you can use that time to hold your poses longer.

https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gifhttps://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gifhttps://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gifI applaud you for putting yourself out there and asking for criqitue!  You rock Ollie!

• VinterVild

February 2, 2012 at 12:23 am

I know just what you mean, I point my feet all the time but it barely shows 🙁 You just have to keep on trying! 🙂

• HollySatine

February 2, 2012 at 8:51 am

Me too – my feet are super flat, so I feel your pain!

Page 1 of 2