StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Lightening hair that has been dyed dark

• Lauren503

April 4, 2013 at 8:22 pm

My hair..also too dark..my recommendation is to put some highlights in it..slowly put in more and more then when you have a lot ..do an all over toner over them if you want to give you overall lighter look..working on it mself..have dark brown hair and just added goldish/caramel highlights in ut..just a few to start.skinny ones. Highlights even around face wil brighten you up and slowly work your way up to lighter like I said by doing all over highlights and toner on top.

• HellOnHeelsNH

April 5, 2013 at 12:35 am

I Just went lighter from black and it wasn’t easy. I used Loreal high color for dark hair only which is available at sallys.the colors seem to go from light blonde to red…(i went red) if you have really dark hair and its healthy use a 40v creme developer otherwise 30v is recommended. By a deep conditioner pack again for after, it did not Deandre my hair u love the color! The smell is strong though so good ventilation its a must

• Sugar Tanqueray

April 5, 2013 at 1:37 am

maybe I can help.. I'm a licensed cosmetologist.. I don't understand why the salons turned you away! I can tell you that for every problem there is a solution.. it might be a long drawn out one.. but theres a solution. You CAN bleach your hair out. It will take two or three tries to get it the right color. In between each lightening you need to let it sit for about a week and put conditioning treatments on it every other day at least before lightening it again to the desired shade. The conditioning treatments will provide strenght to your hair so it won't be completly dead by the end of this. I even suggest doing them on your dark hair before you even start bleaching. It sounds like youre damaging it every six weeks with your all over color. I would spend two weeks at least doing conditioning treatments which by the way you can buy at your local beauty store in little packets.. I suggest henna n placenta or something with keretain and argan oil. You also need to wait ad do MORE conditioning after you bleach it all out to the desired lightness, after another week I'd then say you could go ahead and apply color. I suggest getting joico bleach if you can and a 30 vol. Apply to midshaft then roots and ends. Please use treatments! they'll save your life! 

-Sugar.

• brittshair25

April 6, 2013 at 11:27 pm

I have some questions that hopefully someone can help with. I am new to hair color. For the past 4-5 years I have put highlights in once a year and then would cut it all off before the next time. This year I had low lights put in my red hair (I would describe my natural color as new penny red). I hated them so I decided to take the plunge and have it professionally colored to match the dark red low lights. Unfortunately it cam out waaay darker than expected. My hair grows pretty fast so I have dyed it twice over two months since I had it done. It is now a combination of dark red and dark brown. What can I do so that I can dye closer to my original color. Bleach? Color fix? And then dye? And if I use bleach\colorfix how soon after can I dye it?

• HellOnHeelsNH

April 7, 2013 at 1:42 am

With the color oops its made so you can dye it the same day just follow instructions in box

• lunamonroe

April 29, 2013 at 11:24 am

i used to be quite experimental with my hair, iv died it blond, dark brown, red, then brown, then blond again and even blue, but after dying my hair blond i decided i wanted to go darker, so foolishly i bought some dark brown hair dye from the $ store, and my hair ended up going blue black!!, i used color-before twice to try and get rid of the black but its still so dark, my friends so i have black hair and as im quite pale my grandparents say i look like an emo!, i dont want to bleach my hair because iv dyed it so much im scared it will fall out, but i need to do something?!?!?!

• blessedmommy332741

February 28, 2016 at 7:01 am

Hi, I need help. My hair is dyed black now for a few years, last year I decided to do a red and black ombre…and since doing it I went lighter on just the bottom portion of my hair. I used bleach and noticed my hair became very hard and broke very easily. I had a lot of fallout as well. When i let my roots grow out they are mainly greys…so Ive decided that I want to dye my whole head grey. Well the bottom part is bleached but the top part is still black and now with greys. I havent dyed it in about a month but the mix of colors is driving me insane. Is there any safe way to get the rest of the black out without further bleaching? Will the color fix work on my hair since the bottom is already bleached? I cant afford salon prices and the situation with my hair has me depressed. Plz any help is greatly appreciated

Page 3 of 3