StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Lightening hair that has been dyed dark

• Rachel12345

February 9, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I had been dying my hair black with Live XXL colours for year and my sister used the purple ones, we didn't just do the roots either. We both decided we wanted to go lighter so we used something called colour B4 that we got from superdrug in the UK. It shrinks the dye molecules so they can be washed out. Both of us ended up with very ginger/orange hair which she died over with a light brown and I chose to bleach my hair to a light blonde. I took me 2 bleaches (the first was cheap stuff I got from boots that didn't do anything, the second time I got professional stuff online and it worked amazingly) that I did 2 months apart, but I didn't mind having ginger hair. My hair was a bit dry afterwards but a haircut fixed that in no time. 

The only problem with the colour B4 was that it wasn't supposed to work with the Live dyes because they contain something that when heat is applied sticks itself into the hair and becomes almost impossible to remove. Though it worked for me perfectly and I have been straightening an dying my hair for 5 years now. 

How much you would have to bleach would depend on the colour you wanted to go so you might not have to bleach it as much as you think. I dyed my hair intense copper after a few months of being blonde, then died over it a few months later with bright red and it came out very vibrant. But lighter colours would need pale yellow hair first. 

• elizabethflrs

April 28, 2012 at 5:38 pm

HELPPPPP!!! i have been dying my hair dark brown for years my hair is graying now so i want to go sandy brown just to hide it a little how can i do this??https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• kayleighashton19

January 28, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Well hello everybody im looking for some rather quick advice as I should be dying my hair this week . I want to go a light candyfloss pink , so right now im a darkish brown and ive most probably got still abit of colour build up underneath that , but ive ordered 30 vol bleaching creme and also the developer powder , so I already know for a fact that as soon as ive applied this bleach my hairs going to turn white at the roots and bright copper ginger at the middle section of my hair and a dark copper ginger mixed with a darkish brown at the ends , so if I was to do this and im trying to get it as close to being as lift as I would possibly need it to go to make sure the candyfloss pink turns out the way I want it to rather than it turning out a darker pink but a bright pink , its suppose to achieve the look of looking almost a salmon pink or as known a flamingo pink 🙂 so if I bleach it a second time lets say the next day would this lighten my hair or would it just make it a brighter orange colour ?

• Frankline

January 28, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Hi i m not sure if this helps you but if i understood you right you want the candy color by bleaching not by dying?
    My ends are bleached ..they re nearly white. Afterwards i dye my whole hair bright red the bleached part is pink…but it fades out after a few times of washing so at the end it s like really blond which is the look i want to achieve.red at the top with blonde ends.
    Personally i d say bleaching down to a certain color is super hard .i would really recommend that you get your white first then apply a semipermanent pink color or a permanent red color (with fades to pink).
    I dont think that a natural color can turn into a pink just by bleaching. But i m not an expert!
    Hope i could help a bit..if not sorry
    Ps you can mix semi permant colors to the shade you want 🙂

• Reyn

January 28, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Does anyone have experience with Henna hair dye? I was looking into lightening my hair as it has gotten to a pretty dark shade from my henna but I am always nervous to even look at bleach. Does anyone know if the Color Oops would work on Henna dyed hair?

• Medamaid

January 28, 2013 at 5:46 pm

If you bleach the hair the next day it will lighten it more. The only way it will go bright orange is if you take it off too early. The problem with bleach is that it dries out the hair so you have to be careful to not over process it.
    For your first application I would suggest applying it to the midshaft and ends first, then once it starts to lift then apply to roots. ( more work but prevents your roots from going white and potentially breaking off while waiting for the rest to lift). I would also suggest using a plastic bag to cover your hair, it will keep the heat in, which helps process faster as well as preventing bleach fron drying out, which stops processing all together. Good luck!

• goldendiva

January 29, 2013 at 2:06 am

Reyn, I’ve been a stylist for 10 years and in all of my experiences with henna color it is not recommended to use lighteners (bleach) over it. Since henna is a vegetable based color it can react poorly with other types of colors or lightening agents. I have seen several occasions where people have tried to lighten hair dyed with henna and the hair literally melted within 5 minutes of applying the bleach. If you really want to lighten your hair I suggest growing in as much of your natural color as possible and having the color done by a professional hair stylist.

• Reyn

January 29, 2013 at 5:35 am

I wonder if you know if the henna you've worked with is PURE henna? I have heard tons and tons of horror stories about mainstream henna that has added metallic salts and other reactionary chemicals, and every time people use it and try to dye their hair at all with it they have complications. But what I use is pure henna, and from everyone else who's used it I hear that it is fine to dye over it, though I expect some brassy undertones from the plant dye if I try to lighten it. I will definitely be doing a sample test before I try to do anything with my whole head (better safe than sorry), but I don't want to spend the money on Color Oops if it's really just bleach I need to use to lighten it. 

I don't think I've ever met a stylist who has REALLY looked into the henna I use, I would *love* it if I could finally talk to a professional about it who has done the research. If you DO want to learn more about what I use, go HERE:

http://www.hennaforhair.com

• Krista Bocko

January 29, 2013 at 6:25 am

Absolutely, Reyn. Henna from hennaforhair.com is all I will EVER use. I've henna'd my hair for years and I love it.

Keep me updated on your patch test. I've toyed with the idea of dyeing my hair with some bright semi-permanent color but don't know how it would go with henna, and then back to henna.

• goldendiva

January 29, 2013 at 11:13 am

Reyn, my sister uses pure henna on her hair as a conditioning treatment since she mostly only uses natural products on her hair. When she finally decided to highlight her hair we did a patch test and her hair didn’t melt, but it did heat up in the foil after a couple of minutes. As a result we decided to wait a while until her hair grew out a bit.

From the time a stylist goes to school to get licensed we are taught about the interactions of hair color with other chemicals and compounds commonly used on hair, henna being one if them. When I was in school we actually had to take swatches and do patch tests on hair to test the reaction. We tried hair with pure vegetable color, box dyes, chemical relaxers etc. I can’t say that in every students’ case the hair melted but some did.

Color removers are a safer way to remove color from hair since it causes oxidation without blowing the cuticle as wide open as bleach, which is what causes the fried feeling. If your going to lighten it yourself I recommend using a color remover, especially if you’ve layered your previous color (henna or other color) when touching up in the past. Depending on how much of the darker color has been layered it may be difficult to lift the hair past a red orange tone even with a bleach. Either way make sure to do patch test first to be safe. Also, remember that lightening dark hair can be a process that can take more than one day to do without completely frying the hair.

• Elektra Vallens

January 29, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Just a word of advice about henna: it's really hard to get out.  It binds to the keratin in your hair, and won't be taken out completely by using bleach, or anything else, to my knowledge.  It also doesn't come out very well over chemically processed hair, including bleached hair.  The best thing to do before you henna is cut out a small piece of hair from somewhere discreet, and do whatever you plan to do to it first, as a test patch.  Henna also takes a few days to oxidize, meaning it will turn slightly darker over a couple days, so be sure to let the test patch sit a while to see the final color.

• Reyn

January 29, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Thanks guys. I don't want it removed completely I just want it a little lighter. I was hoping to just lighten it up a bit then reapply if necessary to bring it back to a not gross color =) 

Looks like I'll be patch testing the Color Oops =)

• lilleelea

February 7, 2013 at 5:18 pm

hey maybe some one can help me with my hair colour issue…. had it bleached proffesionally about 3 years ago then dyed it dark brown so bottom half of my hair is bleached but covered up with a dark brown and then had highlights running through it about 2yr ago but only to put purple on it which looked fantastic at the time, now its been darkest brown 2 shades off black for about under 18 month which is 4/6 shades darker than my natural hair colour, so my hair is real dark brown but bottom half has been bleached and about 1" above that has highlights (covered up) now i want to lighten it to a shade closer to my natural colour as im fed up of colouring it… but what can i do that doesnt involve bleach nor peroxide?????

• PrincessPeach

February 7, 2013 at 8:18 pm

If there was bleach under the black there’s no way you can lighten it. If you use peroxide it will just snap off. You’re going to have to grow it out and cut it off!

• Becks23

March 28, 2013 at 10:05 pm

So I find it pretty funny that most of these posts are against it…I have dyed my hair many colors and have been from platinum to black and back. I have used peroxide, lemon juice, and bleach and have only had bad experience with the peroxide. Dried it out and some fell out but to me this is fine, I have very thick hair. I have done most of dying my hair by myself or with help from a friend at home. Hair salons have crazy prices these days. I've bleached my hair 3x from black. It was fine. And through all of that dying and the haircuts and straightening and blow drying, my hair has survived. Yes it takes a toll on it but only if you plan on doing it back to back. I do it about every three months. I've recently been to get my hair cut and they told me my hair was very healthy and bc I got two inches cut, no split ends right now. I'm bleaching my hair tomorrow and a week later, I will be dying it a light brown. I don't see why bleaching your hair seems to be put down as long as you have healthy hair.

Page 2 of 3