StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions “I’m NOT a stripper!”

• SpyralBound

February 19, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I may be at a slight advantage in my area because pole fitness has gained a decent public profile, there are at least two studios that I know of in our greater area, and there are often pieces in the newspaper about pole fitness gyms and stuff. I think the idea of “pole fitness” isn’t all that alien to people around here so there isn’t always the automatic jump to “stripper.”

• JoleneBell

February 19, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I definitely agree that following a declaration of pole usage up with “but” anything, is a defense of sorts, which would cause folks to think you are ashamed, which you don’t need to be, and/or actually have something to defend, which you don’t!
    I always say “I do pole fitness. Amazing workout.” Whatever they think after that is whatever. I truly wish everyone would try it and love it as much as I do, but I’ve had to accept that some people just aren’t going to get it.
    I cringe whenever it’s referred to as a “stripper pole” because it’s such a limiting title. I think that when people think “stripper” they’re likely not thinking “great athletic ability and acrobatic skill,” they’re just thinking of heels and sex. Pole is, obviously, so much more than that, sometimes not at all that, sometimes completely that, sometimes everything.
    Can I just say right now, thank God for pole?

• Charley

February 19, 2014 at 2:55 pm

In general I will not use the “I’m not a stripper line” unless I am very uncomfortable. I was at the Drs. Office a couple of months ago seeking treatment for a cyst on my groin and I explained this thing is painfully getting worse because of pole and I was my wits end. I explained I teach and perform pole and that I am infact not a stripper the Dr. responded “so what if you were?” I loved her instantly. My surgeon on the other hand who happens to be male needed the clarification I felt like. I’m set up for removal on Wednesday and he wanted to book an OR room because he thought I’d be uncomfortable with him being close to my business. I realized in trying to clarify and make the point to my Dr that he somehow thought I was extremely conservative. As long as he knows he’s not seeing it at its best I’m cool, hahaha.

So yeah, I’ve learned it’s never necessary to clarify how I pole just clarify what I do on a pole. No one cares if I have clothes on or not.

• Veena

Administrator
    February 19, 2014 at 3:12 pm

When I talk about pole dance in the midwest, almost everyone replies with “I hear it’s a great workout”. Here in Vegas most people assume you are a stripper, some think you’re in a cirque show or something like that. I usually just let them assume what they will… what my “deal” is…. they can sit at the park and watch how good my kids are and wonder how a “stripper” can have such nice “normal’ kids!! If it’s someone I think would like to learn more about SV I tell them what I do for a living, as in this website and I teach.

• scorpiotrickster

February 19, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I find that I have to explain myself even less and less lately, as pole has grown in popularity and is much more mainstream (showing up on stage at awards shows, in music videos, etc.)and pole studios are literally popping up left and right in New England. When I tell people that I take pole classes, the more common responses I get these days are “I heard that’s a great workout,” “I tried it once at a bachelorette party-it was HARD!” or “my friend/sister/coworker takes pole classes”. It’s nice to see that most people are now familiar with and respect the non-stripping side of pole.

When I do get the more ambivalent responses like “You pole dance? REALLY? What does your husband think of that?”, I tend to leave stripping out of the conversation unless they bring it up specifically, and will usually say something about how challenging and great of a workout it is, how it lets me use my childhood gymnastics skills, and how I go to a studio with a great group of women.

• Charley

February 19, 2014 at 3:40 pm

My regular doctor actually asked for cards and info about it. She is telling people who want/need a more active lifestyle to pole. One of the student doctors wants to take classes too after I made her watch vids on my phone hahaha. I need SV business cards, I swear, because I tell everyone to come here because you can see all types of pole. I even heard a story about my dr doing a chair class and how hard the stripping aspect was! It’s not easy to strip and still look sexy. So it’s not like stripping in of itself is easy. I think people don’t understand how hard it is to she’d clothing and remain sexy and in movement, it’s tough!

• Veena

Administrator
    February 19, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Very cool! I always keep SV cards in my wallet 🙂

• Sparklie

February 19, 2014 at 3:59 pm

There is less stigma now then a few years ago. I am an industry girl and I teach in a studio, both for fitness and for women to rediscover their sexiness. In my experience I can tell if someone is close minded and going to have a stick up there ass and those are the people that I say I teach dance to in a studio. Also, being a pole dancer and being an exotic dancer doesn’t always go handin hand.

• MD5677

February 19, 2014 at 4:05 pm

People just start laughing when I tell them that I pole. 🙂

• litlbit

February 21, 2014 at 10:10 am

I never explain. When I’m asked what I do, I tell them I teach pole. When the question that follows is…”Are you a stripper?” I smile and invite them to drop in to the studio and see what I do. I leave it right there. I love the look on their face when I don’t give them anymore than that, PRICELESS!! I prefer to be an example, not an explainer! HA!

• BonnieAndClyde

February 21, 2014 at 11:57 am

I love all the comments and I agree with everybody. I teach preschool and unfortunately the stigma that is attached to pole is stripping. People need to be better informed of the extent of pole. If I happen to tell a parent and they look at me funny I explain to them the fundamental side of pole and the physical challenge is exhilirating!!To all my co workers who found out by way of gossip, I just smile and say yup, i dont make enough money teaching!! lol I just let them believe what they want. I dont have time for ignorant people.

• Legs4Days

February 22, 2014 at 9:16 pm

My 86 yr old mom finally saw my SSA and she said “Now….what do call this? This isnt what you exercise on is it? You said it was in the garage…THIS is it? What do u do with it?” My step dad, who is also 86 chuckled oh so quietly lol.

• Legs4Days

February 22, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I should mention that I am 53 so she was even more puzzled at what someone my age could do with that hahaha!

• LaTecha LoveSpell

February 23, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I typically just say that I do Pole Fitness, but I don’t compete. That usually makes it clear that it’s a sport and I’ve never had anyone ask me if I worked at a club. Of course, nine times out of ten I’m standing there with my stethoscope around my neck so that could be it too…

• polergirl

February 24, 2014 at 10:07 am

I feel like this has been such a good and positive discussion. Thank you all for your insights! 🙂

Page 2 of 2