StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How to get my split all the way down..

• Cherished

November 6, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Thanks for clarifying Heathalynne. I'll have to try it out 🙂

• jade s

November 8, 2011 at 12:15 am

Hi Shellectra, remember to use your exhale when sinking into your stretches/splits. When I’m warming up and stretching, I always use my exhale to sink deeper towards the floor. For your side splits, warm up with a lunge, one knee up, and one leg straight back with your knee and top of your thigh touching the floor. Inhale deeply, and as you exhale sink your hip closer to the floor. Use the same inhale/exhale when doing your splits. You can use the same inhale/exhale technique for your straddle splits, lying on your side and pulling your leg up towards your head, or doing a “split” lying on your back. Just pull towards you or sink deeper on your exhale.

• Shellectra

November 8, 2011 at 2:00 am

Thanks jade!! I seem to have trouble with the whole exhale thing, I don’t seem to find it much helpful so I must be breathing wrong! I’ll keep concentrating on my exhales 🙂

• jade s

November 9, 2011 at 1:30 am

Just inhale deeply through your nose , hold it for a second and exhale through your mouth from your throat. Expend all the air. Repeat the breathing and sinking lower each time. You’ll get it, both the breathing and the lower splits! I have faith in you!!!

• Shellectra

November 9, 2011 at 3:45 am

THANKS! What a lovely thing to say.  I feel I'll never get them, I've been same distance from the floor for months!!! My hip flexor just won't let me go lower 🙁 I'd give anything for full splits!! hehe

• PaulettePoles

November 9, 2011 at 4:39 am

Any advice for increasing front / middle splits? I seem to be so stiff here- but side splits 2in from the floor now. I am doing Veensa routine as wella s Althea and VB. But is there one specific stretch I can throw in everdayon off days to help?

• Dancing Paws

November 9, 2011 at 12:26 pm

A guy in my silks class told me that to get the splits, the best way to stretch is to stretch for OVER splits. You align your hips, flex both your feet, straighten your legs, engage your leg muscles, and stretch that way.  After stretching that way, you should be able to relax and lower into the splits. I am nowhere near the splits, but it may benefit you since you are so close.

Page 2 of 2