StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How to get my split all the way down..

• How to get my split all the way down..

Posted by Shellectra on November 3, 2011 at 6:31 am

I have been stretching for a few hours in total every week, I do lots of basic stretches and then end up trying for splits and I have gotten very further down with my own routine (see my photo in my album!) but I am stuck however a few inche from the ground 🙁 I have realized the problem is not my muscles but the hip flexor in my right leg (back leg in the split) thats the discomfort that stops me pushing further.  How can I fix this?

Dancing Paws replied 12 years, 6 months ago 10 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • VinterVild

November 3, 2011 at 6:41 am

If it is your hip flexor that is stopping you then you need to stretch it more 🙂 The hip flexor is a muscle, or rather a group of muscles, and they need to get stretched as well to achieve the splits, especially if you want to have splits with square hips.

What kind of exercises do you do?

• Shellectra

November 3, 2011 at 6:48 am

Thanks!! It takes me about an hour all up… here goes..

I warm up and then I use my foam roller on calves, quads, back of quads, and glutes. Usually 8 rolls each. Then I start with straddle type stretches, one leg out and one bent in, then straddle stretches each side, then straddle stretches forwards (I pull on pole to pull me down), then pike stretch, lying leg grab, lunge stretch, the opposite one to lunge stretch, then on knees I have glutes near pole and slide one foot up pole to stretch back and quads, then I sit on my leg stretcher machine for ten minutes, then I try for front and middle split, then I do some pigeon poses.  I only recently started the pigeon pose, it seems to stretch those little flexors, maybe I'll just do more pigeoning? lol

• VinterVild

November 3, 2011 at 7:25 am

That were a lot of stretches, you are very ambitious! 🙂 Yay!

Well, I see that you do lounges, that is for the hip flexor. Does it feel the same when you do the lounges as when you get "stuck" in the splits? You are supposed to get a kind of burning feel in the hip flexors when you stretch them.

The pigeon is good for the hips if you are not stiff in the glutes, I use pigeon for glutes but they are super stiff for me 🙂

• glitterhips

November 3, 2011 at 8:15 am

If you are tight in the hip flexors I do an awesome HF stretch with my foam roller – put it under your tailbone and then lay down and bring one leg to your chest bent. Make sure the leg not bent stays straight and on the ground otherwise you will cheat the stretch. This can be done without the roller too but I don't feel a stretch unless I use the roller, I think I am lucky and didn't have super tight hip flexors.  

• PaulettePoles

November 4, 2011 at 4:58 am

I am dying to know what a leg stretcher is! Please tell!

@Glitter- can you post a pic of that stretch w the foam roller? I had trouble visualizing it

• Shellectra

November 4, 2011 at 7:34 am

Thanks glitter I'll try that! So when I'm lying on my back, is the roller above or below the tailbone??

paulette its a machine and you sit on a seat with legs out on either side on two 'ledge' type things and you wind a wheel and the ledges seperate with your legs and you go as wide as ou can and sit like that for a while, i have a pic in my stretching album 🙂

• RoseMay

November 4, 2011 at 10:40 am

If you'd like to buy a dvd I can recommend Aletheas Pure Splits dvd. It got me down to the ground in my front splits from maybe 4 inches off the ground within 2 weeks!

• HollySatine

November 4, 2011 at 12:33 pm

@rosemay – how often were you using the dvd, and did you alter the routine at all? did you do any other stretching besides the dvd routine?

• RoseMay

November 4, 2011 at 1:06 pm

From the day since I got them to the day to my first split I used her pure splits and stretching for pole dvds alternating almost every day. I did them 11 times in total (it's like 55 min per dvd) until I was down to the ground.

I didn't hold the poses any longer than Alethea does in the dvds. And I did not do any other stretching.

The only thing I changed in the routine was that while she does her freedance at the end of the dvd I stretched for the front splits again for a few minutes. I'm really happy with the results https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

Though I think the pure splits dvd does a lot more for the splits (of course). So if the main goal are the splits I'd concentrate on that one 🙂

• HollySatine

November 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm

that's really helpful, thank you!!! 😀

• glitterhips

November 4, 2011 at 6:37 pm
  • glitterhips

November 4, 2011 at 6:39 pm

OK it's not working but if you do a google image search for "Hip flexor stretch foam roller", it's the third photo that comes up. It says "fit sugar" on top of the photo. Veena's lessons have some awesome hip flexor stretches too and I have been making very good progress using her splits routines for front and middles!

• heathalynne

November 6, 2011 at 1:02 am

The one thing embedded in my mind from all flexy gurus is NEVER STICK TO THE SAME ROUTINE EVERY TIME. If you’re always focusing on same hamstrings and same hip flexor stretch, it’ll make you less flexy. Change up the routine or split your current routine into 2-3 different sections, work on diff areas of the body, even quads bc that helps with splits too.

Try over splits with yoga blocks, even if you can’t full split. Adds more pressure to the hip flexors. And split with knee against the pole/wall, back leg bent, and grabbing foot to head. I just got full front splits a couple weeks ago bc of that one. Serious deep stretching.

• Cherished

November 6, 2011 at 1:26 am

Hi Heathalynne

For stretching against the wall do you mean something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9iflFhEWng

• heathalynne

November 6, 2011 at 8:22 am

@Cherished – No but that’s another good stretch too. You’ll actually get more stretch doing that way but standing split with your hands pushing the floor to make your body closer to the wall.

The one I was talking about in my previous post was where you are in a split on the floor, with your back knee and shin against the pole/wall. Front leg is straight. Then just arch back and grab your foot or pole. Emil Valentino taught this.

Page 1 of 2