StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Handspring help!

• ShonaLancs

October 25, 2013 at 2:26 pm

When I was training for cartwheel (we call all of them a handspring in the uk but I’ll use cartwheel here to differentiate meaning) my left leg or free leg was the problem. I would swing the inside leg for the momentum and then not do anything with my outside leg so I would keep dropping and donkey kicking, which eventually caused me an injury :-/
    Make sure you push off the floor with that outside leg like you are jumping. Also make sure your shoulders are level. That helps you to not tip to one side when you finally do get up there! I think I have a video of my handspring/cartwheel issues and success somewhere on here…
    Also, I don’t agree with tucking into the ball first because after being able to do it for months I have only just mastered going straight into a tuck yet could do any other version, so see what leg positioning works for you.
    I agree that working on caterpillar, ayes has, straight edges will help you build muscle memory for this move. Also extra core work, especially on your obliques to help balance you.

• Veena

Administrator
    October 25, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I remember that video of your attempts! I agree that the tuck doesn’t alway work best for the cartwheel.

Page 2 of 2