StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Handspring help!

• Handspring help!

Posted by michaelaarghh on October 22, 2013 at 1:15 am

This is well and truly my nemesis move. I cannot for the life of me work out what to do to get my butt up there. 

I think because there is so much going on with this move (leg sweep, head down, twist hips, tuck legs) I just get confused and only ever half get it. 

My hand positioning is correct, and my head is getting low enough (According to my teacher), but I cannot twist those hips and bring those knees to my chest. 

Does anyone have any tips for this one? Ways to maybe work through the motion slower so I can get a feel for it? I have been drilling it in practice and that's not helping at all so I don't think it's a case of I need to keep practicing. How long did it take you to get this one? What made it click?

Veena replied 10 years, 7 months ago 7 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • danisita

October 22, 2013 at 1:50 am

Yes please!!! Need help on that move too! I tried with different variations on cartwheel, handspring, so many different grips and hand positioning…I try and try and try with different teachers and also different tutorials. It's just not clicking  🙁 I also would like to know if it's good to be able to do the Ayasha move / split grip first??

• Mary Nightingale

October 22, 2013 at 4:31 am

Here are some pointers that I found helpful:
    1. Use your stronger hand on the bottom. My right hand is the upper in the twisted grip handspring, and my instructor said to me to use that hand on the bottom.
    2. Upper (and weaker) hand at eye level, at least, but not much higher. Lower hand at the base of the pole, not a feet higher like I was trying to do, but really as low as it gets.
    3. Don’t try to tuck your knees at first if that doesn’t work for you. Try to get it with a V or straight legs. Straight legs pointing to the ceiling is what worked for me.
    4. And after all the positioning is correct, this is what finally helped me get it – dive into it. Your head needs to get upside down, and I instictively kept it horizontal dispite my best efforts. Thinking about really diving into it like jumping into a pool head first really tricked my mind to stop doing that, and I got my handspring right there.
    Good luck!

• Krista Bocko

October 22, 2013 at 7:30 am

My tips…first, have you video'd yourself practicing this? The vids don't lie, and might help you see what you THINK you're doing vs. what you're actually doing.

Have you tried cartwheels? Maybe that would click for you and in turn help you handspring.

Can you aysha? I learned aysha first before I ever tried handspring. I don't KNOW that it's necessary but I think it's tremendously helpful, because once you spring up there it feels familiar.

Have you tried both sides?

For me personally…I don't get fixated on nemesis moves. I have nemesis moves of course, but those are the ones I revisit here and there and see if they finally just click. So it takes time…lots of time. So much of our pole learning (esp these advanced moves) has to happen organically. Your subconscious/muscle memory needs time to mull it over and figure it out….so working on other moves definitely helps when it's time to get those. 

In my case…handspring was not a nemesis (let me point out that this is rare, I tend to acquire moves pretty slowly). But I had been working on asyshas, handstands, elbowstands, ex butterflies, etc etc….moves that require that inverted core balance. One day in practice I just went for it and it clicked. 

Just some thoughts off the top of my head. GL!

• michaelaarghh

October 22, 2013 at 11:23 pm

I think I definitely will film a practice of this and upload it, maybe you guys can give me specific advice if I can't work it out for myself what i'm doing wrong. 

I can do cartwheels on the ground, and have tried both sides. I'm stronger with dominant arm on top, but I can't do it on either side and have been trying both sides equally. 

I guess everyone has their own idea of a nemesis move. I have plenty that I have not yet achieved and am still working on, but I don't count them as nemesis moves because I can understand what I need to do the move. It might be that i'm missing flexibility or it might be that I'm missing strength or it could be that I'm scared…but in every one of those moves I know what it is I can work on to get there. Of course I don't expect to get everything straight away! That would be silly! 

Handspring is a nemesis I guess because I feel I still don't understand how it all clicks together…there's just so much going on, and I don't really 'get' what I'm not doing right. 

But ! I will try all of these tips and upload a practice vid! 

• Veena

Administrator
    October 22, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Have you worked on the half handspring yet?

• michaelaarghh

October 22, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Is a half handspring when you hook the foot? At the moment, I can't even get upside down. We're taught to work on as soon as we swing that leg, and swivel the hips then tuck the legs so you're upside down in a little  ball? 

• Veena

Administrator
    October 23, 2013 at 12:15 am

Yes you hook the foot. What grip are you using? I’m wondering if it’s the twisted grip because you’re told to tuck?

• michaelaarghh

October 23, 2013 at 12:48 am

Nope, just standard split grip. Don't know if I have the ab strength to lift into the twisted grip, and our teacher will only show us that one once we've got the normal split grip down. 

I think I'm being told to tuck so that a) it's easier to balance and b) easier to get up and swivel those hips without worrying about what your legs are doing, until you have that balance and can then extend the legs. 

if that makes sense?

• Veena

Administrator
    October 23, 2013 at 1:10 am

Yay that’s good your not staring with the tg!! Nothing wrong with tucking either, just not something you hear other instructors use. I use the tuck method too. However I think the tuck works best for handspring and no so much for cartwheel. Handspring is stepping under the body head moves back. Cartwheel is stepping forward head moved foreword and down.

Fear is a huge issue for both the handspring and cartwheel so watching others do it and literally telling yourself you can do it is very helpful. Again if you have the chance check out the lessons for the cartwheel and handspring here.

• michaelaarghh

October 23, 2013 at 5:57 am

I think tucking makes the most sense. I say this, of course when I still can't do it hahahaha. But I feel it's less daunting because it would be easier to balance. 

Okay so I think what I am doing is a 'cartwheel' because I am moving my head foward and down. How confusing. I will try to upload a video tomorrow! 

• Krista Bocko

October 23, 2013 at 6:48 am

**I mean cartwheel. I get confused too!

I count moves as nemesis when they cause me issues. When I know what I *need* to do and I just *can't*, & I've been working on it for some time (flexy is what I struggle with), it's a nemesis. 

Video would be extremely helpful!

• Veena

Administrator
    October 23, 2013 at 9:57 am

Yes, a video would help us help you. 🙂 

Here is an OLD tutorial I made for YT doing the cartwheel mount. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTxwC6v14Pg Pay attention to the "wrong" examples, other than holding the hands too high, keeping the butt out and not getting the butt and hips up over head is the biggest issue. 

Here is a video showing the differences between cartwheels and handsprings. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sag8kwfYBmU

• danisita

October 23, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I try both – handspring and cartwheel and each on both sides. With tucked legs and straight legs, all the different grips and standing closer or further the pole…ahhhh and it still is not feeling right. it’s still some technical problem or the balancing. I know I’m strong enough. The other day there was one time I tried cartwheel and could hold it for a second – have been sooo happy but after failed again and again. But something really clicked at that moment, the ‘diving into it – head first and facing the seiling’ and before my lower hand was too high, now I know it really has to be deeper. lately I get really confused with my strong side…so many moves I can do better on my weak side. So I’m really really struggling on ‘the left and right issue’ lol.
    Well I really think it just takes a little more time to get the hang of it 🙂 and yes as you all say it’s always good to try other stuff in between and than eventually one day (hope sooner than later) it just clicks 🙂

• danisita

October 23, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Oh and to add I don’t do the tg grip, I tried first with that grip because my instructor can only do the cartwheel with tg and it looks at first really impressive…but after watching all those different tutorials and reading so much about the different grips I understood that I have the same issue with that grip as many others, it just feels not comfortable for the shoulder and wrists. So I won’t try that any more, just on the aysha or when I’m upside down already getting into the v-position….but I anyway can’t hold that for a long time either – that’s the balance problem 😀
    Ahhhh so at least I have something that keeps me busy

• FlyingFireBird

October 24, 2013 at 12:06 pm

There are a few things that helped the handspring “click” for me.

1) This will look and feel silly, but set your grip and just practice turning your torso from facing down at the floor to facing up to the ceiling with your feet on the floor. This helped my body “remember” to go upside down instead of facing forward.

2) I would recommend practising an Ayesha of any grip. I have my split grip handspring, but I don’t have my split grip Ayesha. However practising my elbow and twisted grip Ayeshas helped me better get the feeling of what position my hips were supposed to end the handspring in.

3) Play with how far apart your hands are. Everyone’s proportions are different, so this varies for everyone. If your hands are too close together, it’s really hard to get up, but if they are too far apart, it it is really hard to hold steady.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2