StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Deadlift Elbow Stand Help

• Phoenix Hunter

June 25, 2015 at 9:55 pm

pole cat diva, Veena has few lessons on these specifically that will really help if there is any way you can get those. I havent found anybody who can explain as well as veena does. but hopefully we can all help you figure this out. 🙂 I just wanted to tell you that even if you arent able to get the lift by time you do your routine- that the way you are getting into them without the lift looks really pretty from what I can see in your second video ( cant view the first one). you seem to sweep up into it very smoothly with your toes pointed. it looks pretty and graceful. I’m sure it just some small adjustment your missing that will help. I hope we can help you get it.

• pole cat diva

June 25, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Alright perhaps u can try to view again – https://youtu.be/AGsV6LI-VCo.
    Thank you so much for the encouragement! Appreciate it 🙂 I’m so stressed whenever i reach this part during my routine.

Alright i will search for the lessons by Veena.

• Phoenix Hunter

June 25, 2015 at 10:27 pm

ok! I can see it on my phone but not my stupid computer. hopefully Veena will see your video too cause I know she will have good advice. with your hands in front of the pole, I think you still need to move a little further away from the pole. it doesnt sound helpful but it usually is. I think your upper back is touching the pole before your butt does. I really try to concentrate on getting my butt to the pole and I can only do this if I have a little distance from the pole to do so. I think your upper back is touching the pole because your still a little bit too close. and when your upper back is resting against the pole, you have to really arch back to get your butt and legs up and that is why your elbows are lifting. you actually dont have to arch as much when you are a little further away from the pole. so it could be that youre too close to the pole and that is why your elbows are lifting or it could be hamstring flexibility. but you actually look like you have good hamstring flexibility. you are gonna get this! dont get frustrated.

• pole cat diva

June 25, 2015 at 10:53 pm

Ok i will try to move further away from the pole. I think my tight hamstring also plays a part. I don’t really have good hamstring flexibility. In fact my hamstring is still recovering from a strain early this year.

Let me try tonight and see if it works. 🙂

• Phoenix Hunter

June 25, 2015 at 10:58 pm

oh goodness, sorry about that hamstring. yes those play a big role in this. if you cant get all the way to the pole you may be able to just get as close as you can and gently push off the ground with the toes. I wouldnt do that if you have to push very hard. but a small gentle push might be just enough to activate the lift without having to have all that hamstring flexibility. just make sure youre all warmed up and stretched a little bit before trying. I had a hamstring injury last year so I know how that is. your tuck that you did also looked very nice and might be an option to work on too. I think a beautiful sweeping leg or tuck is prettier than a strained lift. work with whatever you can do and just make it look pretty. if you dont get the lift now, I think you will definitely have it soon. I wish you lots of good pole vibes. 🙂 be careful with your hammy.

• Veena

Administrator
    June 25, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Sorry for the delayed reply, I was out of the world of internet access for the afternoon! 🙂

The link isn’t working for me either, however, it’s common for people to feel they can’t keep their elbows on the ground. One of my dear friends insisted her arms were too short, even had an instructor tell her they were, BUT, I was able to coach her into the correct form. So, when I hear that elbows are coming up that usually means you are not engaging the shoulders (scapula) correctly. Doing so will open up the space between the ears and shoulders (think more space between) this allows the elbows to stay on the ground and protects the body.

I wouldn’t work on the deadlift until you have the elbow position down, there’s nothing wrong with reaching one leg up at a time, that can be very pretty too.

Once you understand how to hold the then you can focus on reaching the back to the pole as Phoenix mentioned. In order to have an easier time lifting you need to get your hips over or past your head. I do have several lessons that will help you with this if you are interested. Good luck with your performance!

Page 5 of 5