StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Are you over 40 and up a pole? Check in here :)

• SimplyHappy

April 17, 2014 at 5:20 pm

I am 44 and pole makes me happy. Started at age 40 and took two years off because of a bad car accident. I enjoy bring back and learning new things. I have limitations due to injuries but working to push past them and loving every minute.

• Cuwoody

April 17, 2014 at 7:35 pm

I am 44 and have been doing pole for a year. I love to have people closer to my age to bounce things off of. I am by far the oldest in the studio where I train. I feel my age gives me advantages in some ways but creates obstacles as well. For me flexibility is one of my biggest challenges.

• Cuwoody

April 17, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I have no background in gymnastics, dance, etc and I haven’t kept myself in shape so this has been great for me. Like many of you I am surprised at how much strength I have gained. I am a little timid at times bc of the fear of injury and a lengthy recovery since my “old bones” don’t heal like they did at 20. I am glad that I have had the opportunity to do this. It really has changed my life for the better.

• zuzulya

April 17, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I’m 51 and I started about a year ago….it’s been a great journey and I am stronger today than I have ever been! I’m excited about all the things I learn and it’s so much fun when my body suddenly “gets it”….as the “chubby” girl who never got picked for a team sport and who everyone thought couldn’t possibly be athletic, I find a very profound sense of accomplishment with each pole session. I’m not so sure that as a younger person I would have been able to appreciate it the way I do today! You’re never too old and I intend to pole for a very long time!

• ntrujilloc41719

April 17, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Can’t wait to read everyone’s replies. 42 here and no plans of stopping! Hope to be doing this at LEAST 20 more years or more if the body holds up. BEST workout ever! where else can you dance, wear heels, look hella sexy and learn some bad ass moves all for fitness??!! The tricks are getting harder but we go hard or go home! Pole on ladies!!!

• Cactusgirl

April 17, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I am 54 and just started last year. Took me awhile to get over always being the oldest woman in class, but finally realized I was the only one thinking about my age. Wish I had found this decades ago!

• Paunobs

April 17, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I started at 48 I am 2 months off 52, last weekend I was the only Nanna playing in the playground with my 3 grandchildren hanging upside down , and swinging on the monkey bars, it has been a tough journey but one I am very grateful to have taken, menopause has slowed me down somewhat with more aches and pains, less motivation and fatigue but I still persist the benefits far outweigh the cons, I work within my body’s physical limitations, if I get injured it will take much longer to heal, so I am careful, fear holds me back somewhat but focusing on what my strengths are is how I deal with these issues. Best thing I have ever done for myself!:-)

• hookedonpole

April 18, 2014 at 1:29 am

Currently 58 yrs old, started at age 50, so it’s been 8 yrs now. I could be farther along, however, did not have a studio to go to for quite a long time. So did the you tube thing, veena’s lessons which really helped me progress, and various workshops here and there. I also tend to pole on the fear side, especially without a spotter, but it’s okay, I have accomplished a lot and love the strength and stamina I get from pole, as well as the toned muscles!

I have a studio to go to now since October 2013 and love the consistency, excellent instructor and gals to have fun and encourage each other.

• MartyS

April 18, 2014 at 2:51 am

Awesome girls 🙂 52 now, Started just before I turned 48 and never looked back. I hated any form of exercise but absolutely love poling.. just wish I coukd trade my joints in for rubber ones. I have osteopenia and that fear of faĺling just sits there permanently grrrr, so extra caution steps in when trying certain moves.
    Intend on poling for a very long time 🙂
    Happy poling everyone.

• chriswarner

April 18, 2014 at 3:16 am

I am 61yrs 6mths old and started poling 2 years ago. It was the best decision by far that I have ever made in my life. I have never felt better and as the weeks go by I notice how I am becoming stronger and more flexible. What a wonderful sport to enjoy in my retirement in 3 1/2 years time.

• watergirl

April 18, 2014 at 5:18 am

57 here. On a break due to a back injury and I miss it. Like many not as flexible as I’d like but I stretch daily and hope to be back at the studio soon.

• Junes Pole Dance

April 18, 2014 at 7:07 am

43 here. Started in autumn 2013, just before i became 43. Just loved it! The best workout i can think of! Wish i knew that before, but, here we go:)

• PJ Piglet Poles

April 18, 2014 at 8:16 am

I went to my first pole class at almost 43 and it was because two friends were taking the class. I didn’t want to go and the thought of it made me uncomfortable but I went. I attended class for 6 weeks, left for Christmas and over the holidays I decided I missed it! From that point I never looked back! I work hard, I train, I stretch and I go to the studio as often as I can. I am NOT bendy but I work at it and try not to let it discourage me. I was not one for exercise and had been a couch potato before the age of 40, I only started to try and workout because I was putting on weight. I hated the gym and would avoid calls from my personal trainer who I had hired and paid to help me lose weight! All that said, Pole changed it all! Since I found Pole I am a different person inside and out, if I can’t get to the studio and train or take a class I am cranky, it’s a new world and I love it! Pole is one of the best things that ever happened to me! Currently, I’m working on organizing my 3rd Toronto Showcase, I placed 3rd in the Ontario Championships in 2012 and I am the Ontario Masters Champion for 2013. NEVER say NEVER! I’m soon to be 47 and find that I am often the oldest in class or during practice time but the beauty of being a “mature” student (and I say that with a LMAO) is I find it motivating to figure out how my body is going to get that trick the 25 or 30 year old beside me just executed! Peace, love and Pole. xhx

• taelm

April 18, 2014 at 9:11 am

I am 41 and started to pole just before I turned 40. I love it. I love the “sexy” it has brought into my life. I love all the stunts and strength moves I get to do. I am definitely stronger than I was a couple years ago! Oh, and I love celebrating with others when I get to see that they accomplish something they did not think was possible (I get to teach pole now – yay! So I get to see this often).

However, I am dealing with some nerve issues in my L5S1 area now (YUCK!) and it is slowing me down. I cannot straighten my right leg. Still, I can pole and work on some advanced moves. Just have to be cautious. I am taking it slow until my surgeon gives me his take. :/

So ladies, no matter the age . . . it is clear, poling is for whomever desires!!!

• Legs4Days

April 18, 2014 at 9:23 am

I was the oldest one in a class one nite and the girls there in their 20’s. They were having trouble climbing and I think it was their first visit…all giggly and embarrased lol. They were really cute! That was the nite that I climbed to the top of the pole (I had been practicing). No offense, but it felt good doing that in front of gals my daughters’ age lol.

Page 2 of 9