StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Any tips on practicing pole dance during pregnancy?

• Eden Body

July 10, 2012 at 11:28 am

Yes! I totally agree about the pushing thing. My midwives were so cool. They ran a warm bath for me and told me when I felt like pushing I could come out of the tub (I didn't want epidural). It was amazing how my body pushed on its own with no help from me. Another thing I love about midwives…….my daughter NEVER left me and my husbands sight. They did everything in the room and they encouraged me to keep her on my chest the majority of the time we were there. WHY aren't more women delivering this way?………………..I like how we totally turned this discussion to midwifery and child birthing LOLhttps://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• Reyn

May 9, 2013 at 11:01 am

Hello everyone! I want to revive this thread a bit, though I know that a lot of what can be said already has, I just need a little support.

Hubby and I are talking about the possibility of having a baby in the somewhat near future. I have been pole dancing for three years but I feel like I only got serious a year ago, then had to take several months off after that to plan my wedding. I've been hardcore training since November 2012 after my wedding, but now I'm thinking about WHEN I want to have a baby. 

So honestly, the biggest thing keeping me from having a baby right now has been my pole life. I feel like I'm finally making breakthroughs in my pole strength, and plus I just started teaching pole a month ago at my studio. So I'm trying to consider if or when I'm ready to step back from that for a while, or how much I'll have to step back realistically.

I am hoping that when I do get pregnant that I would be able to continue teaching beginner pole for a while, and perhaps after that modify some of the other classes we offer to continue teaching through most of my pregnancy- or even create a class that isn't so strenuous in the wrong places. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? 

I feel weird talking about this, its not something I have openly talked about with anyone except Hubby and my best friend… I spent so much energy on wanting to find the love of my life and my career goals that I never really focused much energy on the idea of being a mom… but that's where I'm at now.

• Buffy Diamonds

May 10, 2013 at 9:43 am

Hi Reyn! I would say if you really want a baby, start trying and everything else will fall into place. It might take a while to get pregnant and while you are trying you can keep poling. I was sick everyday during my first trimester and couldn’t pole, but I’m at 20 weeks now and have been teaching regularly. When I got pregnant my students were familiar with basic inverts so having them demonstrate is effective. You can demo inverts from the floor and also right side up. It’s been working well for my students. I suggest doing a prenatal fitness study through AFAA. That gave me confidence that I was being safe for myself while I was teaching. And yes you can always teach a simpler class that focuses on flow and dance. If you have anymore questions feel free to message me. I love being pregnant and can’t wait to meet my baby girl!

• PixiLouBell

June 7, 2013 at 1:55 am

hi, anyone have experience with doing cocoons in the first trimester?? i didnt even think abt the pulling of ligaments, muscles, attatched to the uterus where baby is in the process of imbedding. i wish i wud have thought more abt this trick before doing it, now im all worried i disrupted the embedding process :/ i had a miscarriage last time and i poled thru the first 7 wks till it happened. my last two pregnancies were healthy, surely poling doesnt cause miscarriages!?

• Ninja Sarah

June 7, 2013 at 9:00 am

You shouldn't just stop all Pole play for sure. But at least for the first 3 or 4 months you should probably just go super easy on everything you do. And, really if you think about it, by doing that you're concentrating on your patience, muscle control, and fluidity; instead of just attempting any old strong arm thing or throwing yourself into serious tricks that could potentially harm you and your baby. Keep stretching but don't push it, as I know you already know everything you feel your baby feels in one way, shape, or form. Listen to me, I don't even have kids and I'm trying to give you advice. I have taught pregnant women before and found out most of the above advice through trial and error. No miscarriages or anything like that, just more strain and exhaustion than should be with pregnancy.

• drsltfl2978

March 14, 2014 at 8:36 am

I had my first miscarriage recently. I cannot say pole was to blame, but next time, I won’t be poling in pregnancy. This was the first pregnancy I poled and the first where I did not substantially reduce my exercise intensity in the first tri. I envy women who can, but for me, it’s not an option anymore.

• adAstra

March 14, 2014 at 7:11 pm

I was too sick to pole my first two months of pregnancy. Through my pregnancy I actually was able to increase my pole trick arsenal and flexibility, but I did it very slowly and without inverts (I could never invert before so I didn’t try to do it then). My little boy is now four months old yesterday and thriving! I didn’t know about pole for my first pregnancy but strength trained and ran while I was pregnant that time, too.

Being active does wonders for reducing back pain related to pregnancy so I would not completely eliminate it but it is a personal decision. As Veena said, listen to your body. Do what you are comfortable with and don’t be afraid to take it down a bit–after all, you’re lifting a lot more weight with every move! 🙂

• Nusa1987

April 14, 2014 at 12:37 am

wooow finally got some answers. I had some questions i just found im pregnant n Im only 5weeks , and im So active in pole almost 9 months , im just worried can I invert or air invert ,do shoulder mount , handspring or twisted split aysha ; splits on pole · I’m also teaching So i have to show my students moves but u know being a teacher means I should do moves million times or holding them !! I also did in Instagram with two of my friends April challenges but im not active i feel so bad , Im not sure if Im able to do it· other can I go into side splits or middle splits is it advisable? ·last one Handstands and Headstands is it ok i hope i get an answer 🙂

• drsltfl2978

April 14, 2014 at 8:17 am

I miscarried for the first time pregnant poling. I can’t say that was the CAUSE, but personally? I won’t risk it next time.
    There are plenty of ladies who have successfully poled to different degrees.
    I think just like anything in pregnancy, there are no guarantees. You have to assess your own priorities and decide how much you’re willing to risk.
    Best of luck, and congratulations

• johnssdeere

April 14, 2014 at 10:45 am

My personal discovery with pole and pregnancy. I continued to invert and teach until around 30 weeks. At 30 weeks I stopped teaching and just worked out from home. I had the okay from my doctor, and would in no way recomend it without discussing it with your doctor. Obviously I had to give up a few things… Ie no Iron X or geminis. My body bounced back much faster than with my previous pregnancies. There are plenty of ground and upright exercises you can do to help maintain a workout regiment and pole strength without exhausting or hurting yourself. (I stole this from my post on the other thread)

Page 3 of 3