StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Any tips on practicing pole dance during pregnancy?

• spoongirl

May 15, 2012 at 3:19 pm

@monary

That DVD sounds interesting. Can you give a bit more detail eg intructors name. I live in the uk and can’t seem to find it.

SG x

• spoongirl

May 15, 2012 at 3:19 pm

@monary

That DVD sounds interesting. Can you give a bit more detail eg intructors name. I live in the uk and can’t seem to find it.

SG x

• kasanya

May 15, 2012 at 8:35 pm
  • spoongirl

May 16, 2012 at 12:35 am

Thank you x

SG

• spoongirl

May 16, 2012 at 12:35 am

Thank you x

SG

• Joalex

July 6, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I just looked up this thread after recently finding out I'm about 5 weeks pregnant. I told my pole teacher today and although she said I could still come to class up to 12 weeks, she strongly advised me not to do any pole at all from now on, not even spins as they still use a lot of core strength. She also mentioned that she had lost 2 pregnancies, and often wonders if pole was the cause, so I can understand that as a friend and a business-woman she wouldn't want to be responsible if anything bad happened.

I think I'll still continue to do spins and moves that I know I can do easily, like I did last time. Even though I'm happy to be pregnant, I'd be so sad to give up pole completely, it would leave a huge void in my life! Does that sound selfish of me?!

• Joalex

July 7, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Does anyone know – Is there any danger in doing moves that use core strength, and also things like stomach crunches? Surely your uterus and your abs are 2 different things?

• Portland

July 7, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I stumbled upon this vid the other day and wanted to share it in case you were interested. It’ s  a video of prenatal hooping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91tw408Zafc

I noticed quite a few people are posting about being pregnant recently; I just want to say congratulations to you all!

Hooping isn’t pole or crunches, but I know quite a lot of pole dancers enjoy hooping and it is a form of abdominal workout. I would have thought a hoop rolling around your belly couldn’t be good for the baby, but I guess some drs have approved it and they even teach prenatal hooping classes in some places.

As always I’d ask your Dr. or midwife before starting any new exercises.  If they give it the ok be sure to listen to your body as well.  

I’ve seen lots of prenatal workouts lately, like yoga, ext. I just thought this one was interesting and if I was pregnant it would be something id enjoy. I am a fairly cautious person though so I’d do a bit more research before I started, as well as  be sure to ask a Dr..  Even if you don’t get the ok to pole, if you look around  and get a little you creative, I’m sure you can find a fun and beneficial to your pregnancy.

I just wanted to share the links because I thought maybe some of you would be looking for more creative, nontraditional workouts to do during pregnancy may be interested.

A link to pregnancy fitness hoops: http://www.hoopnotica.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_naru.tpl&product_id=37&category_id=12&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

It says “Pregnancy Hoop is a specially designed hoop that's perfect for hooping during development. It's lighter in weight (about 1 lb-so as to be gentler on the body, about 40", and of course it's gorgeous, just like all Hoopnotica Hoops! This hoop is decorated with prism reflective laser tape and your choice of hot pink, teal or dark blue, or neon green accent tape!”

The pregnancy hoops come with a ebooklet on the process as well.

Or you can buy the eBook alone ( or download a brochure about it) here: http://www.hoopnotica.com/dvds-cds-and-books.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_naru.tpl&product_id=88&category_id=2

• Veena

Administrator
    July 7, 2012 at 10:38 pm

A good rule to follow, if you were very active before you became pregnant, you can stay active. Pregnancy isn't a good time to take up a new workout activity though. Always talk with your midwife or Doctor!

With my first 3 pregnancies I continued my weight training and I did abdominal work. I was not a pole dancer at this time. With my last pregnancy, I continued pole dancing and modified when needed. My personal rule for pole dancing while pregnant was…..

1 No inverts after the first trimester (keep in mind I was super comfortable with my pole abilities and stayed within them always)

Instead I Worked on transitions, and creating beautiful lines and motion around the pole…no crazy tricks needed. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

Be aware of spins, your body is producing relaxin and this could cause too much strain on the shoulders and wrists. For women who are fairly strong the relaxin can be LESS of a problem. I didn't have any troubles. So be careful when stretching too! Don't get over heated.

Abdominal work will not hurt the baby…..however, you need to be aware of the possibility for worsening Diastasis recti (abdominal separation). Some Abdominal separation is normal, but if you haven't learned how to contract the transverse abdomis when doing ab work, you could worsen the separation. This lesson will show you how to activate these muscles. https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/4df4be6f-3160-46c9-9e73-67a10ac37250 

There are some great abdominal exercise out there that do not require you to lay flat on the back (you shouldn't lay on your back after the 1st trimester.) Using your core is good, you'll need it to push the baby out!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif 

Here is a video of myself at 30 weeks….take note of how I modified by not tucking the legs to my waist during spins. This took pressure off the belly 🙂 

https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/b9b36b30-b880-11df-856f-001b214581be

PS don't forget to do your kegals https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• Mindy4pole

July 7, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Veena has said most everything I would.  I did my home water birth, in part, due to her recommendation!  Plus, my pole was an AWESOME labor aid.  I could lean and pull on it all I wanted, and it never got tired or had to go potty. 

I definitely got lots of comments from other polers (some negative), but bottom line is that this is your child.  What ever choices you make, YOU are the one who has to live with them.  Listen to your body.

I posted a video of me poling the day before my son was born.  He was 2 1/2 weeks late, so I was doing ANYTHING to try to start labor!!  =D He is such and awesome and physically capable baby, too. 

• TansyRae

July 8, 2012 at 7:27 am

Exactly what Veena & Mindy said….I kept going to beginner pole classes up until about 34 weeks then took ballet conditioning classes until about 36 with baby #2….I didn’t try anything new and modified when I needed too (not rolling on to my stomach, limited floor work on my back, etc). I was lucky that my instructor and the other lady (it was a SMALL daytime class) were Moms so we all had a good laugh and renamed some moves after I said I looked like a turtle stuck on its back one day!

By keeping active with this last pregnancy I kept my weight gain to a healthy 28 lbs and not the 75lbs I gained with my son. The difference in L&D was insane. Miserable, epidural & threatened with a C-section with the first vs. a very quick, easy, water birth with the second. My recovery time was much quicker too….I was discharged at 24 hours, at the mall the next day and back at the studio taking silks and pole about 4 weeks after she was born.

I really look forward to poling thru the next pregnancy, when ever that happens….with all the other challenges a pregnancy can sometimes present I see no reason to give up something that makes you feel good and keeps you in shape both mentally and physically which can prevent SO many things that get “solved” with drugs…but I can feel myself going off on my “pregnancy in America” rant so I’ll just stop here 😛

Good luck to you and congratulations to you & your family!

• TansyRae

July 8, 2012 at 7:27 am

Exactly what Veena & Mindy said….I kept going to beginner pole classes up until about 34 weeks then took ballet conditioning classes until about 36 with baby #2….I didn’t try anything new and modified when I needed too (not rolling on to my stomach, limited floor work on my back, etc). I was lucky that my instructor and the other lady (it was a SMALL daytime class) were Moms so we all had a good laugh and renamed some moves after I said I looked like a turtle stuck on its back one day!

By keeping active with this last pregnancy I kept my weight gain to a healthy 28 lbs and not the 75lbs I gained with my son. The difference in L&D was insane. Miserable, epidural & threatened with a C-section with the first vs. a very quick, easy, water birth with the second. My recovery time was much quicker too….I was discharged at 24 hours, at the mall the next day and back at the studio taking silks and pole about 4 weeks after she was born.

I really look forward to poling thru the next pregnancy, when ever that happens….with all the other challenges a pregnancy can sometimes present I see no reason to give up something that makes you feel good and keeps you in shape both mentally and physically which can prevent SO many things that get “solved” with drugs…but I can feel myself going off on my “pregnancy in America” rant so I’ll just stop here 😛

Good luck to you and congratulations to you & your family!

• Joalex

July 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Thanks for the advice and kind wishes 🙂

I really want to keep up my fitness this time, as I found giving birth to my daughter so strenuous. I was pushing for what felt like forever!

Although my doctor has given me the go-ahead to carry on with my usual exercise regime, I don't think doctors truly understand what pole is like, especially at an advanced level, I'm sure they think we just do a bunch of twirling and posing! So it's good to hear from people who really know what they're talking about.

Anyway, it's kind of a moot point at the moment, since all I want to do is sleep!

• Mindy4pole

July 9, 2012 at 2:59 pm

So, I just have to get on my soapbox about pushing…  Unless there is a safety issue w/ you or baby, don't push until your body wants to push.  Too often, women get told to push just because they are at 10 cm, not when they are ready.  Both of my labors had a break in contractions somewhere btwn 9 and 10, and the rest was WONDERFUL!   Your uterus is the most effective muscle at pushing that baby out, but you can't make it do it.  There is an amazing, incredible feedback loop btwn mom and baby's bodies that has nothing to do w/ your conscious, thinking self.  When your brain is trying to direct the action, you use all sorts of other muscles and get exhausted.  But, that's just my opinion that I can't keep to myself!  😉

• Veena

Administrator
    July 10, 2012 at 10:57 am

I love how midwives encourage you to listen to your body! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

Page 2 of 3