StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Sore shoulder

• Sore shoulder

Posted by LatinPoler on January 26, 2019 at 3:01 pm

My right shoulder is sore. Not injured but sore, probably from overtraining. I feel it when I do very specific movements like lifting and internal rotation. I’ve been resting from pole for a few days and it feels almost normal, so I would like to start training again.

Question: What are the moves that are easier on the shoulders? Grounded flow may look easier but I think all those pirouettes and spins require a lot of shoulder. Maybe inverts and leg hang things are easier on the shoulders (even if they are harder in general!!). Thoughts?? Thanks!

Veena replied 5 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • mystical

January 27, 2019 at 6:01 pm

my opinion would be that inverting might irritate it more, you could do a side pole hold, if its fine then do as you please. You could do some dancing, hula hooping, cause you dont have to use your shoulder as much.

• StrangeFox

January 27, 2019 at 6:20 pm

Yikes! Sorry to hear your shoulder is still sore. With pole I feel like everything uses every part of the body so any injury means taking a break until there is no more pain. 🙁

Leg hangs and laybacks use the legs more than the shoulders, but you still have to use your shoulders to climb and get inverted. My advice would be rest up until your shoulder feels 100% better (however, I know if it were me I would probably still be on the pole – it’s so hard to stay grounded). I think there are some floorwork moves that involve mostly the legs and abs you could work on. Stuff like leg waves, heel skating, and any splitty moves (the flip split). Perhaps doing chair would work, too.

I’m kind of in a similar spot with my hamstring right now. It’s almost 100% better but it still likes to remind me every now and again it was injured. It’s so frustrating having to accommodate an injury – I really hope you heal up soon. 💕

• LatinPoler

January 28, 2019 at 1:20 am

Thanks ladies! I’m feeling way better but not 100% yet… maybe 90%? I can only feel it in very specific movements.

@Mystical, yes! The side pole hold test is a great idea!! I usually do several leg tucks and pikes in that position before inverting, as warmup and conditioning. I will probably try tomorrow. I’ve been doing floorwork this week mostly which is easier on the shoulders, but still a lot of pushing. But pushing is OK, it does not bother my shoulder.

@StrangeFox I hear you… so difficult to stay away!! Yes, all that leg centric floor work is a fantastic suggestion and you know I love floorwork, leg waves and splits!

In any case, the good thing is that I can still dance… not like when I hurt my oblique muscle… because it was the core and the core is always working, no way to avoid it. So I will try carefully tomorrow, maybe do a short session if it feels OK. If not, I will stick to floowork and chair. Honestly, lately I’m more into dancing than into tricks.

Lastly, I wanted to add that I got a massage and the therapist told me it could be one of the rotator cuff muscles irritating the front of the shoulder, that is where I mostly feel it, somewhere between the deltoid and the biceps. Makes sense as all is connected and actually I foam rolled the back of my shoulder today and the front felt better… crazy. Also, one of the movements that still bothers me a little is the internal rotation, and the rotator cuffs are involved in this. I need to research this more.

Thanks again.

• Veena

Administrator
    January 30, 2019 at 1:08 am

Sorry I missed this! I have a ton of more in depth training coming I wish it was ready to release!! For now I’ll tell you this….Shoulders are my week point along with wrists so I’ve done a lot of studying and training this past year and I sure can tell the difference!

Quick suggestions for now, make sure you’re avoiding the whole shoulders back and down when reaching far overhead…it’s a good cue when arms are at shoulder height or lower, but you need to let the scapula move fully up, making the space between the shoulder and ear smaller, not bigger, to avoid any pinching in the shoulder capsule. This positioning is best when doing moves like downward dog and handstands too!

I will make a quick video with my favorite exercise for shoulders and post it here sometime this week. You’ll want a very light exercise band and your pole or door.

• LatinPoler

January 30, 2019 at 2:17 am

Thanks Veena!! I look forward to that video, I guess shoulders are a weak point for many of us…

Quick update: I’m feeling OK now. I researched the rotator cuff suggestion, and I found that there are several trigger points on the Infraspinatus muscle (back of the shoulder) that when active can cause pain on the front of the shoulder, basically where I was feeling it. So I did self-release with a tennis ball and it worked wonders! Pain mostly gone, besides, I felt the arm/shoulder more relaxed.
    I used to foam roll my upper back more but lately I had not been doing it because I was feeling fine, no soreness. Maybe that lack of massaging encouraged the trigger point activation… besides overtraining, I have to admit it.
    Lesson learnt (I hope). It sounds like it was a warning from my body to take things easier.

• Veena

Administrator
    January 31, 2019 at 1:18 am
  • LatinPoler

January 31, 2019 at 4:36 am

Thank you Veena! I’m going to add this exercise to my training. How many reps do you recommend? 10? Thanks.

• Veena

Administrator
    January 31, 2019 at 4:47 am

15 to 20 reps 2 to 4 sets….if you can’t do at least 12 with good form go lighter on the weight 😁