StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Poling over 40?

• Poling over 40?

Posted by Ttmontes on January 5, 2018 at 7:57 pm

Hello I’m new on here was wondering if anyone’s over 40? I’ve been to a few classes locally and they’re supposed to be beginner but each teacher teaches a different lesson so it’s hard to learn anything and they seem pretty advanced at times. I’m also the only one my age there everyone else it seems in in their 20s. The teacher last week commented that we had been to 3 classes and should know how to climb a pole. I felt really discouraged and haven’t been back. I Bought a pole and now have one at home and am starting the 30 day beginner lessons and I’m going to try to do 30 days to flexy also. I have zero dance background 2 left feet and have zero flexibility and a hard time remembering dance routines. I have been serious about Kettlebells and strength training for years now and am in decent shape. Is there any hope for me at my age to get somewhat good at this I absolutely love the beauty of pole fitness and want to know I’m not the only one in this boat! Thank you

Ldadams426622 replied 6 years, 2 months ago 22 Members · 26 Replies
  • 26 Replies
  • polegramma

January 5, 2018 at 8:18 pm

Veena’s lessons are the best way to get good basic skills on and off the pole. You will have a great foundation with the 30 day take off. And then just keep practicing, after a while maybe you could go for a private session every now and then with an instructor you “click” with. I’m 65 and Veena’s lessons have helped me come back from injury, and keep poling happily when I’m in an area where the lessons I need are hard to find.

• Rachel Osborne

January 6, 2018 at 12:48 am

I’m 47 in two weeks 😁🙃
    You might find this thread interesting
    https://www.studioveena.com/forums/view/534f2546-1450-43f1-808f-22d60a9aa0eb
    Enjoy your pole adventures!
    ❤️

• Veena

Administrator
    January 6, 2018 at 1:01 am

Hi and welcome! There are TONS of polers over 40! I didn’t start pole dancing until a month before I turned 30, I’m now 40 and it’s still the best exercise I know of. I have never been a dancer or gymnast. My background is in personal training, which is why I’m focused on strength building first and technique to prevent injuy.

If you start with a good foundation (like the method I developed) you can start learning pole dance anytime, it doesn’t matter what your age or fitness background is. Keep in mind that all lessons are place in order so no matter what category you look at always watch the first lesson and it will answer many common questions and get you started off right.

As mentioned, the 30 day take off was created for those with no background in fitness or dance so starting there is a great option.

• NettieMarie79

January 6, 2018 at 2:22 am

I started when I was almost 35. I’m 38 now. There are also many professional competitors and instructors that didn’t touch a pole til after they were 40 or 50. There’s even a Japanese woman that was on one of those “gots talent” shows that was over 70 years old and had only been doing it for 1-2 years! She did amazing!

• grayeyes

January 6, 2018 at 3:07 am

I’m 48 and started in my mid 40s. You’d be surprised what us “seasoned” gals can still do–though I do wish I had started younger as I do have some unwelcome limitations, flexibility being one of them. The other I would say is I’m more prone to injury (never got hurt when I was younger) and it now takes FOREVER (it seems) to heal so do be careful and smart but enjoy..and welcome.

• Sandra Pole 1

January 6, 2018 at 3:36 am

Welcome on SV ….I’m 53 in few weeks and I dont have any background 😉 no age for poling … lets Go ;))))

• StrangeFox

January 6, 2018 at 4:47 am

Welcome! I’m not over 40 but I hope it’s still OK if I comment on this. There are a lot of 20 year old girls at the studio I go to but there are also girls in their 40s and 50s that are incredible. Age doesn’t make much of a difference. The body awareness and attention to muscle engagement that comes with weight lifting will be immensely helpful. Veena’s lessons are excellent and the community is so supportive so you’re in a great place.

It doesn’t sound like the studio you went to is very good. 3 classes is FAR too few to have climbing figured out, in my opinion. There will be some girls that can climb on their first class, but the vast majority of us weren’t climbing until at least 8-12 classes in and even then it was so clumsy – we had to go over it a lot.

Also, check Greta Pontarelli out! She started poling in her late 50s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enfPSJlZxzQ

She’s amazing!

• goshling

January 6, 2018 at 5:57 am

I’m 46 – March will be my 2nd pole-versary. I also have multiple sclerosis (so my memory & coordination are both shit) and when I started I hadn’t done any structured exercise for a LONG time. In fact, one of the reasons I thought pole would be good was that holding onto the pole would stop me from falling over, so since you have a good grounding in strength training you’re already starting way ahead of where I was!

• LatinPoler

January 6, 2018 at 6:10 am

I’m 44, started when I was 42. I had dance and fitness background but not gymnastics, I was quite fit when I started poling but all that strenght did not seem to help much with pole in the beginning, since I was not used to “engage” muscles, just to use powerhorse. Streght did help in the end, for example, I was able to chopper very quickly. I agree that you can be more prone to injury and it can take you longer to recover, so take it easy. Regarding flexibility, I have certainly improved putting in the effort. I am not very flexible naturally, I think I’m average. So yes, you can pole being in your 40s.

Another advantage of being “older” is that you know your body better, what works or doesn’t work for it, etc. so use that to your advantage. For example, I don’t have any interest in learning handsprings, sice my lower body is heavier than my upper and I don’t think my upper can tolerate that, and I don’t want to risk injury.

The downside of brick and mortar studio classes is that you have to do what your teacher tells you to do, regardless you like it or think fits you. Good luck – you can do it!!

• hookedonpole

January 6, 2018 at 6:59 am

I am 62 and have been poling for approx 12 years. I started at almost 50 with no dance background, NOOOO flexibility. I had been working out with weights, strength training, etc., but it was nothing compared to pole. For as long as I have been poling, there are still A LOT of things I have not achieved, and I’m okay with that. I don’t feel I have to do what everyone else is doing if it’s not good for my body, too strenuous, or if it scares me! 🙂 I admire those like Greta Pontarelli and others I know who are just as awesome in their later years, but I feel people like me and many on this site are the norm (that’s just an opinion). We have different abilities, reasons for poling, different styles. As we always say, don’t compare to others and your pole journey is your own. Veena’s lessons are the best so you will get a great foundation, and help from members here. WELCOME!!!

• Tartine

January 6, 2018 at 2:41 pm

I’m 44. I started poling when I was 41. Welcome! 🙂

• Ttmontes

January 6, 2018 at 6:37 pm

Thanks so much to everyone who’s replied and for the videos and threads I will go read that and watch! It’s nice to know I’m not alone and there’s all kinds of different backgrounds. To any women who lift weights (or did) how do you fit that in with pole? Thanks douche for the awesome support!

• NettieMarie79

January 6, 2018 at 11:36 pm

I do weight lifting and pole. But I’m not sure what you’re asking regarding how we fit the two together. Can you clarify?

• chriswarner

January 7, 2018 at 6:38 am

Welcome! I only started poling just before my 60th birthday with the flexibility of a tree trunk and am now a 65year old pensioner. It has been by far the best thing that I ever done as now I feel fitter than at any time in my life. I have only ever encountered support and encouragement from both teachers and students in the classes.

• Neesy118

January 7, 2018 at 5:53 pm

I will be 45 in 2 weeks, been poling since 2013 and proudly, still a beginner! My progress is slow cause inverting scares me! Some moves I just won’t attempt because I know what my body can and cannot do. Veena’s lessons are the best, do them, over & over! I love IG challenges & there are tons of moves I can’t do, but, there’s a variation or prep move for EVERYTHING. I also go to a studio and I promise I’m the oldest in every class and although it is intimidating,I take it as a personal challenge to put myself out of my comfort zone,luckily the instructors and students are wonderful. I never excell as fast as my 20yr old classmates, but it’s ok. And I hope that maybe I inspire them a little to feel they will still be active at my age. Good luck with your pole journey

Page 1 of 2