StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Poling over 40?

• Sparky 3

January 8, 2018 at 12:33 am

Don’t ever let your age hold you back from what you truly want to do!!!! I am definitely way over 40 and I am always reluctant to tell anyone my actual age because there is way too much age discrimination in our society!! People think I am at least 20-25 years younger than my age cause I tackle life with the enthusiasm of a child! I started pole dancing in September 2014 with no dance back ground and some of the younger women would criticize me behind my back. They would often say I was the worse student in the class and some even said I don’t want to be in her group when the instructor split the students into two groups. I ignored them and kept going for a year. Then i quit the pole dance studio and had a pole installed in my home and started online lessons with Studio Veena. The best thing i ever did !!!! I truly blossomed then!!! I don’t practice as much I as I need to, but I am enjoying my pole journey in my own way, at learning the moves at my own speed. Some of the other online polers may scoff at my snail progress but I just keep going. Just focus on having fun and enjoying Your Pole journey… ☺️progress takes time and it will come! Don’t get frustrated with yourself! Celebrate your progress no matter how small!!! Happy poling and wishing you many hours of fun on your pole!!! 💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

• Misti Hurrikane

January 8, 2018 at 4:20 am

I have zero dance background (really, zero background of movement of any kind other than moving forward in a straight line–I am a former cyclist, oarswoman and current runner/weight lifter), hardly any flexibility at all, and I started pole dance when I was ***50***. Way older than you! Haha. I still consider myself a rank beginner, and I look like a beginner, but I have definitely made progress. I have declared 2018 my Year of Mobility, so we shall see what happens to this “old” body when I give it some real attention to flexibility and mobility. I haven’t done a whole Veena program yet (just an issue of time; I love love love the lessons), but I am thinking I will do the Flow program soon. I am lucky b/c the studio at which I take classes is run by a woman about my age. Everyone in the classes themselves is younger than me, but I feel very supported and encouraged. I am really, really slow to learn though. I don’t think this is so much about my age as about my complete lack of experience moving my body in these ways. That is why I love the Veena lessons. I can practice over and over and over again, and when I do that, and go at my own pace, I get better.

• dustbunny

January 8, 2018 at 4:47 am

I am also not 40. I’ll be 35 this year but i wanted to say a couple things.
    First, my mom went through my level 1 program at 55 or so and did awesome. I made a routine for her to “Lady in Red” by Chris Deburgh, she got dressed up in a little red baby doll and we filmed it for my dad. He was so impressed, I’m pretty sure he got laid that night. Lol 😂
    Secondly, I’m going to agree that 3 classes is nowhere near long enough to learn to climb. I couldn’t do a single pull up or even a pole sit at that point so please don’t be discouraged. Everyone’s journey is different some might be able to climb after a month and some might take a year. There is NOTHING wrong with that. Veena’s lessons are the best you can get as a total beginner. Do the 30 Day take off and you will see vast improvements in the month! Hope to hear more as you progress because I know you will be great.

• flyingover50makeda

January 8, 2018 at 6:53 pm

blessings – please dont be discouraged – i just turned 57 this weekend and started poling at 50. i can say that in the last 7 years since i’ve been poling a lot has changed. when i started – the beginner classes were actually beginner classes. we didn’t learn to climb or invert until 6 months or so later – there was no rush and attention was paid to setting up a good foundation. i sent a 57 year old friend of my to a beginner class last year – and she told me she was never going back – it was her first class and the instructor ( a 30 year old ) had them climbing a pole – she was so discouraged ! and yes – i was often the oldest in class as well – and that alone can be intimidating – combined with learning something knew ( fyi – it took me weeks on end to learn the fireman spin – literally weeks of classes – while the 20 years old were moving on to next – lolol ) Veena’s online course are a beautiful resource for you and this is a great community. per studios – you can research ( yelp is helpful ) to find a location that teaches real beginner or starter classes or secure private lessons. I started teaching my FlyingOver50 dance classes in my community for women over 40 for just this reason – we have our own special nuances and needs. In my classes i teach exotic movement – as a gateway to pole and aerial – as a lot of older women – especially over 50 – need to relearn sexy movement in a safe environment and not feel intimidated by younger women in the room – lol! all the best to you and stay encouraged – you are not alone !

• Veena

Administrator
    January 9, 2018 at 2:35 am

Ttmontes. If you’re asking about if you can lift weight and pole yes! I use to lift and pole, now I just pole or do body weight work cuz it’s fun. I suggest doing any strength based work on the same day when first starting pole. This will give you enough rest days. However, if you’ve been seriously lifting for a while, feel free to continue with your normal weight training and add pole in 3 times a week. The most important thing is to listen to your body and if you’re not recovering it’s time to back off.

• Cherished

January 11, 2018 at 7:53 pm

Sasja Lee started pole at 38 and is now in her 40’s and amazing! Also to be able to climb in 3 lessons doesn’t sound right to me. It took me months to be able to climb the pole.
    I love the lessons here if you do them consistently you will definitely progress.

• Akaye1126616

February 14, 2018 at 6:54 am

I am so glad to see this thread. I just found this page and joined. I danced when I wa younger, and regularly ride horses for exercise now. Seeing all you ladies makes me think I can do this!!!!!

• Akaye1126616

February 14, 2018 at 6:54 am

Oh, and I’m 42!!

• Veena

Administrator
    February 14, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Welcome to the site Akaye!

• tielz18896

February 15, 2018 at 12:09 am

I am 51 and have been poling for about 3 months. I started poling at home with Jamilla’s dvd’s and my Xpole back in ’10. I only did it for about 3 months back then, moved, and had nowhere to set up my pole so I quit. Now I moved again and pulled it back out to start all over.

• Ldadams426622

February 15, 2018 at 8:45 am

I just turned 50,

Page 2 of 2