Plus Size 4 month Update & Question

JessMcG Paid Member
Hey ladies! (Long post, guidance needed at bottom)
First off I'd just like to say that my entire life I've HATED movement. All kinds of movement( I've tried so many things) and ESPECIALLY anything that made me sweat! Also I'm plus size around 260 pounds so I have a lot of weight to pick up off the ground!
I've now had my pole 4 months and I am so proud that I've actually stuck with it.
It's so satisfying to enjoy working your body gainging strength and having fun with it! I can see this in my life forever and I've never felt that way about exercising before❤

I had all these great thoughts and ideas in my head about how learning to Pole dance would be like. When I first installed my pole I realized all of my thoughts would be shattered because it's a hell of a lot harder then it looks! So thankful I found Veenas Lessons.

That being said, I'm a very impatient person, and if I get frustrated I tend to quit. I couldn't believe that lifting both feet off the ground was so difficult! But I followed Veenas 30 day take off for a while, and I try every other day to condition my arms/shoulders.
I have finally been able to do a fireman on static. It may not be the prettiest fireman but when I got both feet off the ground I felt so proud because just 4 months ago I couldnt do a thing. I can also do a front hook spin on static. Back hook spin is getting there.
*Now if I change the pole from static to spinning I can't do any of those moves. I'm really not sure if I need more strength or if I'm hesitating because I'm nervous?

**Does anyone have any guidance on what moves I should try to do next? I've browsed through the videos on here and watched a few but there's so many to choose from and it's a little intimidating to try and figure out what would be a good next move to learn. (I have briefly tried to climb but I'm not sure I'm into it, also my ceiling is super short so there's no where to go haha)

Jan 6, 2020
Veena
Hi! I'm so glad to hear you've been enjoying pole so far! I've never stuck with anything this long in my life lol

After the 30 day take off head over to the beginner section and starting right at the first lesson.[www.studioveena.com] Remember all of the beg. inter. and adv. lessons are listed in the order in which to try them. It's not random. Think of those individual lessons as self guided programs.

Also the climb may seem boring, BUT it along with the pole sit will be super important as they become transition moves for cool tricks. Not moving up the pole in a climb isn't a big deal, it's understanding it and moving into crucifix that is super helpful.

Can you do a pole sit and climb? If so try some of the routines here. When looking at the routines check the related lessons to see what moves I'll be using. Then you can see if it's right for you.
Beginner routine [www.studioveena.com]
Beginner sexy routine [www.studioveena.com]
Sexy pole strength routine [www.studioveena.com]

As far as spinning pole, yes, it will change the dynamic of the moves you've learned, I introduce spinning pole in the beginner section. Once you can pole sit and climb you'll see some more challenging beginner combos at the top of the bonus pole move section. [www.studioveena.com]

Let me know if you have any questions!
Jan 6, 2020
amelia2000 Paid Member
About climbing with a low ceiling, try starting the climb from kneeling. You need more strength to start it as you can't jump to help (I know you should only lift in anyway, but we're all lazy sometimes) as you have to lift, and is harder to get momentum.
I used to have my pole under a 2m ceiling so know the feeling.
Jan 12, 2020
Veena
Amelia, great idea for short pole users, I like it! For a beginner this might be too much of an upper body challenge though. When climbing we use our legs a lot to lift as well, not just the upper body. I know the basic pole climb is placed first in the lessons, but only as a strength building option. A good climb will use the legs and often if a plus size dancers has trouble with the basic, I'll teach them the performance climb instead. :)

Here are 2 different climbs:
The basic pole climb is for strength building, this uses the upper body more. [www.studioveena.com]

The performance climb is the most used climb and is great for performing and dancing in general. Here the focus is using the legs just as much as the arms. [www.studioveena.com]
Jan 12, 2020
JessMcG Paid Member
Once I get stronger I'll definitely try that technique Amelia!
And thanks Veena, I haven't tried doing pole sits or climbs very much because I'm having so much fun trying to get the spins, although from what I have tried I havent been able to climb. I can sort of do a pole sit but it feels like my thighs are going to rip off haha
I just watched the performance climb, and I think I should be able to get that one if I spend some time working on it.
Jan 13, 2020

Just4Pole
I just wanted to drop you a note because I continue to be impressed with your lesson plans. Not only to your attention to details, but your focus on preventing injury.
more testimonials