StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Plus Size/Beginner

• Plus Size/Beginner

Posted by JessMcG on October 1, 2019 at 3:48 pm

Any plus size ladies here?
    I just installed my pole last night and began watching some basic moves and floor work.
    I was super quick to get discouraged as ANY moves that involved lifting myself and spinning were just not possible. I knew it was going to be hard, but I didnt think it would be this hard.
    I see women my size and bigger doing wicked moves on the pole and it make me excited!
    I think my plan is to first strength train using the pole, as well as stretch. Anyone out there been where I am? Since I’m feeling a little discouraged I’d love to hear how much work I’m in for, and how much time it’ll take before I can get myself up off the floor doing basic moves. I cant even do a back spin or a fireman spin! I love the grace of Pole so I’m really hoping with time I’ll get there.

Veena replied 4 years, 3 months ago 10 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • mystical

October 2, 2019 at 1:04 am

Hi, i havent been on the pole for 3 months but been on and off for years, consistency is key. Veena has the 30 day take off which will build your strength. I do get discourage to but im sure a lot of people that pole do. dont give up and dont compare your progress with someone elses. Consistency is key.

I moved and been busy but going to get my pole up tomorrow, im going to get on the pole again.

good luck to you

• StrangeFox

October 2, 2019 at 1:29 am

Hey! I don’t think what you’re experiencing is related to size. I started pole a couple of years ago with very little fitness background (only distance running) and although I’m petite, I could not for the life of me do any basic moves. I couldn’t backhook spin for the longest time, actually, and everyone else in my class seemed to do it fine. Even fireman spin, I couldn’t keep myself up off the floor for long enough to do much more than 1/2 a rotation when I started. It was pretty disheartening, especially since everyone else in the class seemed to be a natural.

I’m not crazy advanced, but I can do some pretty cool inversions now and I still find basic spins to be so damn challenging. If you keep up with conditioning, you will get stronger, and just because you’re struggling now doesn’t mean everything is going to be a struggle for you. Some things will come more naturally than others.

I recommend Veena’s conditioning programs, or if you’re near a studio, see if they have a pole conditioning class. I needed to do both. Class helped me correct my bad form and stay accountable, and Veena’s lessons helped me build strength quickly and safely.

• JessMcG

October 2, 2019 at 12:06 pm

Thanks ladies for the input!:)
    I am very determined and eager to learn and I think the 30 day challenge will be the perfect start. I wish I had a studio near me but unfortunately I live in a smallish town and the closest one is an hour and a half away. I have a fairly busy lifestyle but if I can get even an hour in every other day I would be happy. Hopefully within the first month I’ll see positive improvement to keep me encouraged and motivated to keep going.

• Charley

October 5, 2019 at 12:36 pm

Hi! Pole teacher for over a decade. I’ve seen many plus size pole dancers accomplish tons of great stuff. Size doesn’t matter when it comes to creating your pole plan. Start with transitions and dance. Regardless of size most people have a tough time lifting themselves up in the beginning. I’d look at the conditioning stuff on here and start with transitions. Get comfortable with gripping the pole – there’s totally a technique to it. Just start dancing with it and learn how that feels. In no time you’ll see progress.

• amelia2000

October 7, 2019 at 8:57 am

I would also recommend encorporating non pole things like modified press ups, planks, dips etc into your pole sessions. Think there’s a good core workout involving side planks of Veenas in the lessions which you can use as a warm up. Also working on climbs improves strength no end (I still find moves such as chair spin hard and hate static spins).

• Jihaleh

October 19, 2019 at 9:26 pm

Yes! I’m a plus size beginner too, lifting is hardd but in the words of one of my favourite pole instructors when I was getting super down on myself when i couldn’t do any spins at all

“honey when you can lift yourself you will be twice as strong as most people in this room. You are as strong, if not more so than the people you are comparing yourself to, for you there’s just more to lift, and that’s okay, you will get stronger like everyone.”

I’ve been REALLY working hard on daily shoulder conditioning with a resistance band and extra core work (my strength is in my legs, i could climb in my first lesson) – low and behold just 1 week later I can hold. It’s only for a moment, and there’s still a way to go, but it’s very possible! Even the spins, while sloppy, at better already too.

• JessMcG

October 20, 2019 at 12:07 pm

Thanks Jihaleh!
    I’ve been quite consistent and I have noticed improvement from when I started, most importantly I’m feeling stronger! I’m still no where near lifting myself, and I have not attempted to climb (I feel like that would be impossible lol)
    I’m working hard so I’m hoping I keep seeing improvements over the next few weeks.
    It would be sooo much easier to go to a class but I’m over here trying to learn from these videos hoping I’m doing it all right! Xo

• Jihaleh

October 20, 2019 at 12:22 pm

If you’d like I can post a video of the shoulder conditioning routine I’m doing if you would like? It’s about 15 minutes with warm up and approved by a physiotherapist friend and my studio instructor 🙂

• JessMcG

October 20, 2019 at 1:10 pm

OH MY GOSH ID LOVE THAT!! ❤

• Jihaleh

October 20, 2019 at 5:33 pm

Heyy! So it’s being uploaded to my videos at the moment to show the actual motions but the work out is as follows
    Warm up – 20 seconds on, 5 seconds off – big arm circle forward, arm swings ( swing arms back and forth like you’re trying to hug yourself, I released I forgot to film that one!), big arm circles back, neck stretches shoulder and tricep stretch.
    Routine – 50 seconds on, 10 seconds off (mostly for change of position, avoid resting as much as you can)
    External rotation
    Arm openings
    Bicep curl R
    Bicep curl L
    Row
    Overhead tricep R
    Overhead tricep L
    High pulse
    Low pulse
    Lat pull down (also forgot to film this one, have your arms overhead like high pulse and all the way down your back focusing on squeezing your upper back)
    Rhomboid Row/Alternative row
    Static hold

Let me know if you have any questions 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    October 22, 2019 at 4:30 pm

I hope your journey is going well! As a new poler regardless of size you should spend the first few weeks focusing on moves that build strength. Moves like pole holds, climb, side holds, scapula and shoulders strengthening. They can be done in a fun way and it doesn’t have to be mechanical. All of this is planned out for you in the 30 take off program and all other programs here. 💜

• JessMcG

October 24, 2019 at 10:33 pm

Thanks Veena!
    I’m really having so much fun with it and I can safely say I have never enjoyed movement as much as this!
    I’m going to make sure I stay committed for a month or two, gain a bit of strength and then I’m going to subscribe here to get more access to videos. Very thankful I found this site!

• Veena

Administrator
    October 24, 2019 at 10:53 pm

Awesome! If you’re wondering what to work on for strength building the 30 day take off program (as mentioned) is perfect or just follow the lessons in order starting with conditioning and strength. Also check out all of the routines, many are focused on building strength and conditioning. Keep you’re eyes open for a Halloween sale! When you purchase the lessons online you also have free access to the app.

• kristenmarina

October 28, 2019 at 10:29 am

When I started I also couldn’t do any basic spins! And I’m pretty small. My problem was that I never worked out my arms. I played soccer growing up so my legs were strong but my arms were super weak. It took me several classes before I could lift my feet up off the ground and that’s with an intructor. I also really struggled through the warm ups. The warm up was like a work out to me. But when I did start gaining stength in my arms I noticed it outside of pole too. Suddenly it was much easier to open doors haha! 😅 As long as you stick with it you’ll get there!

• Davedeeking9167

November 1, 2019 at 1:53 am

I too found it difficult to spin and that step around was Soo confusing to me. It took me 6 months of two classes a week to finally do that step around to wear it was graceful and pretty and I can even get airborne with it now…I love doing that!!! I thought it would be impossible but now I look back and think wow…I’ve come so far. Soo glad I kept at it and didn’t give up. I’m skinny so weight has nothing to do with it.

Page 1 of 2