StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Plus Size/Beginner

• Veena

Administrator
    November 2, 2019 at 7:56 pm

I still don’t understand why some studios feel spins are beginner! Most people will need to strengthen before they can safely spin on static. 😉

• Davedeeking9167

November 2, 2019 at 11:03 pm

The studio I went to didn’t explain any of that so I often got discouraged. I’m so glad I stuck with it.

• StrangeFox

November 7, 2019 at 2:26 am

I have been poling for around 2 years now and I still have trouble with spins. Most girls’ 1st fireman spin looks 100x better than my 100th fireman spin. I’m comfortable with inverted moves, and other aspects of pole, though. There’s more than just 1 thing in pole and chances are some things will come easier for you, and other things will take time.

You might also decide that some things in pole are just not for you and that’s OK, too.
    For myself, I don’t enjoy spins and I just don’t work on them much anymore. They don’t give me the same feeling of joy and accomplishment that mastering an inversion gives me and I find them very stressful on my body, so I prefer to work on things that suit me better. When we work on spins in class I’ve just learned to accept that I may not be able to do everything my classmates are doing.

Nothing in pole is “easy.” The things we’re doing are not exactly natural and so they require some extra strength and practice! To reiterate what others are saying: you WILL get there if you stick with it. 🙂

• Suzanna

November 10, 2019 at 10:49 pm

Not a plus size, but “plus height” 🙂 I am 6 feet tall and somehow heavy (as a tall person, carrying the bones). I was a tennis player when I started pole 3 years ago, and looking fit, and also I thought I was fit. Until my first pole class. I could NOT do anything. I was the slowest learned. “Basic” spins took me weeks or months, all girls were climbing and I couldn’t for many many months. My skinny long arms with tall body spinning around made it really hard on my grip strength. I just had to patiently develop it. I still have problems with two-points-of contact moves, still not strong enough for that, 3 years later.

Just enjoy the journey, don’t compare to others (it’s hard to do, I tried not to, but I always envied the “little” girls how quickly they got the moves) and write down every even so tiny accomplishment you have, in your pole journal. One day you look back and realize how much you have accomplished.

• JessMcG

January 13, 2020 at 6:01 pm

I love this little community! 😍
    So cool to get advice and ideas from so many different people! Thanks everyone.

• Veena

Administrator
    January 14, 2020 at 2:38 am

I hope you don’t mind but I shared your last comment to my Instagram story. Made my day! It’s anonymous, but if you want me to tag your IG I sure can 😉

Page 2 of 2