StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions New to Pole Dancing, wondering if there are any Christian Pole Dancers?

• New to Pole Dancing, wondering if there are any Christian Pole Dancers?

Posted by AmandaSigmund on January 8, 2015 at 9:03 am

HI,
    My Name is Amanda and I am 25, just started pole dancing and I am HOOKED! I also am a Christian which seems a bit controversial. I just feel like Pole Dancing got a really bad rap because of strip clubs and now when people who know nothing about pole dancing hear a Christian is pole dancing, they automatically assume it is wrong. I believe pole dancing is an art form just like any other dance and it can be made sexual but it can also be beautiful and not sexual at all. I was just wondering if there was anyone else who feels the way I do?

Laurencampbell8173512 replied 5 years, 8 months ago 20 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • azblanco

January 8, 2015 at 9:35 am

hi Amanda! Welcome!
    You’ve come to the right place. You’ll notice that the pole community is one of the most diverse communities you will come across.
    We are the least judgemental and you’re right, it doesn’t have to be sexual.
    We also do not put down others who choose to make it sexual either. It’s all about you and how you like to use pole in YOUR life.
    You will see some of us like to strap on our 8 inch heels and slink around on the floor in a sexy outfit-/ and others like to keep it purely athletic.. It’s all ok and you’re safe here.

Welcome to StudioVeena.

• poleisnewtome

January 8, 2015 at 9:39 am

Welcome! Without getting too much into religion, it’s important to realize that sexuality is beautiful and dancing in a sexualized way can be beautiful. Of course, like anything else, it can be made raunchy or tacky. But even that is not inherently “wrong.”

Having said that, what I have seen so far are people who choose to pursue pole dancing as an overtly sexual dance form and others who downplay the sexuality and pursue the gymnastics/acrobatic side of it.

I think either is up to personal preference. It only matters that you have fun and get a good workout out of it. It also doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.

• AmandaSigmund

January 8, 2015 at 9:49 am

Thank You both for the welcome, I agree it is completely up to the person dancing if it is sexualized or not. I have no problems with it being sexualized, I just hate it when people automatically assume it is always sexual. I like to think of it as an art form but, just like any type of dance it can be sexualized. For those who are doing it either way I have nothing but admiration! I am a big fan of Anastasia Sokolova who does it very sexual. She is awesome and does things that I could never do. I just wish the stigma of it always being about sexuality would die down a little.

• luvlee

January 8, 2015 at 9:52 am

Hello and welcome!! I myself am a Christian and have even danced to a couple religious songs. Do what makes you happy. I am typically a more sporty style dancer, but have recently been trying to get more graceful in heels. That is a skill in it’s self. You will see all styles here. I hope you like it and decide to stay.

• tblue41945

January 8, 2015 at 11:18 am

Welcome! Like the others have stated, there are sensual, sporty and everything in between styles of poling. The important thing is to do what you like and are comfortable with. As far as what others think, that’s their problem.

• Veena

Administrator
    January 8, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Welcome to the site! You’ll find pole dancers from all backgrounds, shapes, ages and religions too! The members here are amazingly accepting and supportive!

• Cuwoody

January 8, 2015 at 4:13 pm

I am a Christian and live in the Bible Belt. Some have real issues with it (including my mother), some don’t. My philosophy is what you do is between you and God. When others want to weigh in, I usually say that to them. I also tell them to let me worry about my salvation and relationship with God because I am sure they have plenty to worry about in relation to their own lives. I do try to say it as nice and diplomatic as possible. It is not about doing pole but what you choose to do with and whether those things are in line whith what you feel God wants for you. Other can’t determine that. Only you can.

• Anonyma

January 8, 2015 at 7:08 pm

take me to church!!

• denisedh2730

January 8, 2015 at 10:36 pm

My first pole instructor, 2 other instructors I know are Christian. My first instructor moved to Tucson and has a studio there.

• Dars

January 9, 2015 at 4:56 am

You wont win a battle arguing with them about it. But, if if helps correct them and say that you practice Pole Fitness. I have no problems with pole strippers, it is a job and must have huge confidence to do it. It is beautiful when it is not raunchy of course. There is nothing wrong if you add sensual moves to your fitness routine after all you are a woman and it comes natural in my opinion. I embrace it and when I have parties at my house we bring it out. Even the men hurt afterwards from the strength and effort that it requires on certain skills that I coach them to try, lol.

• pr1nc3ss

January 11, 2015 at 12:37 am

I am Christian and the studio I go to incorporates prayer before performances. Not everyone will understand pole but all we can do is ask for open mindedness.

• yssac

January 11, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Hi! Just wanted to chime in and say I’ve struggled with this as well. I rarely tell people that I love the art of pole because of my age (and I moved from Vegas which doesn’t help! Haha). I don’t believe anyone who is faith based should be judged in a bad way because they enjoy pole…. People of faith(any faith) shouldn’t be judgmental at all!
    Of course that’s my opinion 🙂

• Marie Hale

January 13, 2015 at 12:07 pm

I don’t know why your question struck me, but I felt it in my core to respond. I myself have been Christian for most of my life, even in the way of ‘being saved’ and proclaiming Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I do not practice Christianity at this time, and have had some time of being angry at the religion in general after my personal journey, but I am coming back to peace, (not back to Christianity but to peace with it and appreciation for it) with a renewed perspective and general calm of spirit and unity. This is my choice, as all are on a spiritual journey whether we choose to admit it or not, and all have choice. We are all on different journeys, however, as are you and the people that you feel would judge you because of pole.

I feel you. I know the feeling of judgment as we all do and I hope you will indulge a couple thoughts. I applaud everyone else’s responses with respect to pole, and won’t repeat them.

1. Bless you for having the courage to ask the question.
    2. I applaud that your faith means that much to you that you want to reconcile two important loves of your life, Christianity and pole.
    3. It doesn’t matter one single damn what other people think about you and what you do. (This is not in a ‘F everyone else’ sort of way, it is in a no one controls your love and gifts and power but you sort of way)
    4. It is none of their business. There are three types of business. Your business, God’s business, and other people’s business. There’s only one you are capable of being in (guess which one?)- when you spend time worrying about what other people are thinking, you are not in it. If you know God’s love, then you don’t need to worry about his.
    5. If you choose to eroticize your pole practice… God Bless you. Sexuality IS spiritual. (Sex itself is not always spiritual, but sexuality is inherently so) It is an ancient gift from the most ancient spirit (God) and the opening and freedom that you can give yourself by expressively, openly, sexually dancing is huge- you have perhaps already felt this. I believe God loves dance, and beauty, and creation, and connection, and joy. Pole is all of these things, above all connection with your own beauty and strength and body. Dance. And thank him/her/it for that gift.

Religion a touchy subject that not many want to talk about openly. There is much fear, much judgement and much uncertainty even as people are told they must be certain. I wish you luck and joy and peace in your journey and walk with God. And dance.

• Veena

Administrator
    January 13, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Marie Hale, beautifuly said and I can relate to your story so much. Xoxox

• yssac

January 13, 2015 at 12:47 pm

I agree with Veena, well said!

Page 1 of 2