StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Invert conditioning

• Invert conditioning

Posted by Emilywellsperritt on August 11, 2018 at 5:09 pm

Can anybody recommend conditioning exercises or have other tips for getting the hips high in inverts? I can invert, but getting my hips high enough to clear my hands is s struggle.

Emilywellsperritt replied 5 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Runemist34

August 11, 2018 at 7:18 pm

I struggle a lot with this, as well.
    Some conditioning tips I have are to work on your fan kick, as the movement is similar (and a nice, high fan kick can look frigging awesome).
    There are also holds, in which you simply hold the pole as if to invert, your hips in front, pick up your legs, and see if you can bring your shins parallel with the floor. It’s quite difficult, but it works a lot of similar muscles as well.
    A lot of core conditioning, of almost any kind, would be super useful, as well as anything that works your shoulders, arms, and especially your lats (the muscles you use to pull your shoulders down, away from your ears).
    Otherwise… frankly anything you do for strength and practice will help. I mean, one-handed spins will help, since it works your shoulders. Fan kicks, as I said. Floorwork, because that’s a lot of core!
    And don’t be afraid to practice your inverts as conditioning for better inverts. The best way to get better at a skill is to practice that skill often!
    Best of luck 🙂

• Webmaster

Administrator
    August 11, 2018 at 7:41 pm

One of the best ways to condition and prepare for your invert/s is with Veena’s invert program. https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view_category/Nailed_It_Pole_Programs

• Emilywellsperritt

August 12, 2018 at 1:14 am

Great advice! You’re so correct about the lats, Runemist34. I keep forgetting to engage them! And I’ll practice more fan kicks as well. 😀

• Veena

Administrator
    August 12, 2018 at 4:59 am

Yep, webmaster is correct, the Invert program isn’t just for newbies, it’s wonderful to help strengthen your inverts. Also I suggest working on several of the strength based routines here. The conditioning routines will help too! Improving lines and strength in the lower body will make for a stronger invert too 💪

• LatinPoler

August 12, 2018 at 5:17 pm

Besides the Invert program, if you need something that requires less commitment, I would recommend knee tucks and leg pikes (bring straight-ish legs toward your chest) in a side pole hold position. You can start with 5 of each type each side tapping your feet on the floor between reps, then progress to do them all in a row without touching the floor, then aerially from a climb into side pole hold. Or combine tuck-pike-strade x repeat the sequence. You can add heels for extra difficulty, or maybe even light ankle weights. I personally do this after my warm up in most of my pole sessions, along with shoulder mount conditioning exercises.

• Nat

August 12, 2018 at 5:48 pm

Off the pole I like to do reverse crunches (pike, straddle) really lifting those hips towards the ceiling. If you have pull up bar, you can do knee tucks etc. Also v sit, L sit, you can try sitting in a straddle and lift your legs up, or use yoga blocks to move them over them. Hth

• Emilywellsperritt

August 13, 2018 at 6:00 pm

Thanks for all this great advice! I admit that I’m guilty of just repeating the invert obsessively, rather than doing specific conditioning exercises. I’ll definitely work on those tucks, straddles, and pikes, and take another look at Veena’s invert program.😄