StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Does anyone else have a lot of trouble with flexibility??!

• Does anyone else have a lot of trouble with flexibility??!

Posted by Nerdybabe89 on June 3, 2013 at 9:21 am

What method did u use to fix it? How long did it take you to be able to do what? How many times a week do you need to practice… and how flexible were u when u started?

Skullpixie replied 10 years, 2 months ago 18 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Dancing Paws

June 3, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I have never been flexible, but I am becoming more flexible slowly. Honestly, working at a desk is the worst for flexibility. I do flexibility training at least once a week, and I do gentle stretching most other days after my shower. It's taken me a year to get a semi split that is not fully flat yet. The day after a flexy training session you will be sore, so be gentle in any stretching you do on those sore days.

• Kate O

June 3, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I am so inflexible it's not even funny – inflexible back, tight hamstrings, poor range of motion in my shoulders, you name it I've got it! I've just started stretching classes with my pole teacher, will upload the photos of where my "splits" are with no training so far, it might make you feel better 😛

• Lara von Mondberg

June 3, 2013 at 1:19 pm

sweetie, when it comes to splits, I am as flexible as a stick or a piece of wood 😀 I have never been able to do splits, but I just keep thinking positive and i KNOW I will get there, so will you 🙂 I am stretching and stretching and it juts takes time…it gets better, though, I promise. After a while, I got more flexible. I am not ins splits yet, but I gain flexibility compared to when I started stretching on regular basis. I think: rather slow before I hurt myself… maybe have a look at Veena's stretching classes, there are really great lessons. I KNOW you'll get there 🙂 I send you a lot of positive stretching energy form Vienna 🙂 big hug

• calipolepixie

June 3, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I got into pole with NO flexibility, no prior professional dance or gymnastics training. The last time I did the splits I was 8 years old. In HS school, I hurt my hammy permanently, so I probably won't ever get full flat splits ever again. I also have scoliosis so alot of moves that require extreme back flexibility I may not ever get either. I may get only get close and I will have to live with that and/or just make adjustments to certain moves that require splits or just toss certain moves out of the window that require extreme flexibility and I'm ok with that.

However, most people here who have never been flexible work hard and are able to achieve their splits with alot of stretching and conditioning, I'm sure you can too!

• Storypole17

June 4, 2013 at 7:01 am

I do!! I think I’m one of those people who have no trouble at getting really strong, but have the hardest time with flexibility – back, shoulders, calves and hamstrings. I was doing really good with my training until recently – I just didn’t have the extra 30 minutes after my workout to fit it in :-(. After my vacation this week though, I’ll be getting back to it. I started doing 1 day of splits and 1 day of back per week. Then the next week, I would bump it up to 2 times for the next few weeks. Then finally up to 3 times per week. I found too that I got better results with front splits if I did middle splits the next day (along with my back stretching). My middles have always been a lot easier for me to stretch though. Hang in there…and listen to your body 🙂

• doune27

June 4, 2013 at 7:47 am

I have this problem…I can not even touch my toes when i’m sitting with legs straight. So i’m not close at all to succeed the split.

I try to do flexibility exercices almost everyday but i do not see much improvement.

It’s discouraging.

Sorry for my english…this is not my first language…

• Veena

Administrator
    June 4, 2013 at 9:51 am

We have lots of lesson for flexibility here. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif Anyone can improve their flexibility, to what degree will depend on the individual, method used, and time spent. You do NOT need to train for flexibility everyday, that's too much for most people.  

Here's a video that has tips for stretching and will give you an idea of what to expect in the lessons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1ZZE2GTBiQ

• michaelaarghh

June 4, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Flexibility is my main hindrance in pole. I have never been able to do the splits. I had a shoulder dislocation when I was 15 that totally messed u my right rotator cuff so i have limited mobility in that shoulder, which is making it difficult now that I’m in the advanced class at my studio.
    I also refereed soccer for 6 years, which as you can imagine, involved running for about 16 hours every weekend, leading to incredibly tight hammies and calves. So I’m working on those. I’m stretching every night and attending yoga classes.
    It canbe discouraging though because every mm in flexibility that you gain is a mile, but its so small and slow it can be frustrating!

• Danielle Tillie

June 4, 2013 at 9:35 pm

You can find my progress in my photos. When I started pole dancing 3 years ago I was over a foot off of the ground on both sides. Now I have both front splits and a few inches from a middle split. It takes time and perseverance. In order to gain flexibility you’ll need to train about 3-4 days a week. Over time you’ll learn what really works for you. Stretching for too long, too often, or too intensely can have the opposite effect, so start light and work your way up to 3 days per week. Then remain consistent and you’ll see results, I promise! 🙂

• ljsch59790

February 24, 2014 at 4:49 am

Its so great to relate to one another, to know there’s others out there that have damn hard time with flexibility as well. It’s almost like the problem seeing slim models in media – we are bombarded with super flexi contortionist elite pole dancers and there’s so much pressure when our tricks look nothing alike.
    I’ve been stretching a year and a half and have my right split but it comes and goes and is very painful to sit in, it’s quite an over stretch. But we must stay positive and keep stretching 🙂 we have to get there one day if were consistent and follow safe guidelines and never give up!

• Jenka

February 24, 2014 at 6:33 am

I have the same problem.. can I do the streching as often as I want?

• AriesWolf

February 25, 2014 at 7:03 am

Ugh! Yes. Flexibility has always been the worst for me. I took a flexibility test once, and didn’t even make it on the scale. Before I started pole, I’d be lucky if I could reach a full hand length past my knees in a pike stretch.

I’ve been doing Veena’s stretches for the past couple of month, and I’ve already seen a HUGE improvement. I’m a long way from my splits, but I can at least touch my toes. I try to do it every 3 days. I try to do it after I pole. I crank up the heat and put on lots of layers.

• Isis Kane

February 25, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Thanks@ljsch for noting the media pressure to be super flexible. It is so interesting how media pressure translates to pole dancers-for most women, it is only about beauty.

For pole dancers, it is literally almost achieving human fitness perfection. Ultra flexy, ultra toned, ultra strong, and more than often-fitting a Western beauty standard. That’s actually a lot of pressure! And ultimately, these are the only dancers we tend to see in our media-they may not look or perform like the vast majority of women.

When I compare myself to other pole dancers-it is easy for me to pick on myself. I would say what keeps me most fulfilled is the satisfaction of knowing I am doing my absolute best. That I am putting in my best effort to increase flexibility, strength, and dance skill. That I am maintaining my body, and being healthy about it.

Flexibility training, and everything that goes with pole is WORK. I just came from a class where we went MEGA hard with conditioning. Was I the most flexible in class? No. But I worked my ass off. But it doesn’t matter, because I’m actually doing it. I am fulfilled when I finish each 2 hour session. I am fulfilled when I finish a solid flexy training session. Why? Because I did it. Who cares if I don’t have splits yet. I’m doing the work.

As long as we are doing our best, we are exactly where we need to be.

• MissChiefNYC

February 26, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I have terrible issues with being bendy. Arthritus is no joke. Ive been away from pole for almost two years, taking care of my sister who died from cancer three weeks ago. I negleted myself, and have gotten all stiff! And weak. Im looking forward to experiencing my body strengthen while I dance through this grief. So glad I could come back to veena…starting classes at ny pole tomorrow.

• Gem Harris

February 27, 2014 at 8:14 am

Oh yes!!! I certainly do! I’m coming from a background of literally nothing to do with sport, dance, or gymnastics, but I’m GREAT at lying down and sitting on a sofa!!! It takes so much time, practice, and belief to achieve greater flexibility, but when I started to see personal progress (measured by me and not some of the amazing super flexy pole girls!) it felt, and feels wonderful!

One day we will achieve splits and all manner of ridiculous body contortions 🙂 until then let’s take immense pleasure and pride in those millimetres gained!! It all counts!

Page 1 of 2