StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Can’t seem to learn to spin at all

• Can’t seem to learn to spin at all

Posted by imgalvin6056 on October 29, 2021 at 12:45 am

Hi
    I am an older beginner 52 ! – normal body weight and reasonably fit . I am trying to learn pole for the past 2 months – 1 group class and 1 private class most weeks
    So far I can do pole sits , lift one leg of the ground for beginning time climb , pole tucks with both legs up briefly
    I cannot do spins at all – backhook , front hook , firemen’s … no sucsss
    I cannot lift both legs off the floor . Hi ya seems the combination of speed and coordination gets me
    I am a slow learner in the coordination dept ( mild birth hypoxia ) but once I get a move I retain it normality
    The instructor thinks it’s fear but I don’t think so as o am a strong skier who is used to speed
    I feel it’s a combination of issues but I can’t figure it out
    Anyone have any ideas

imgalvin6056 replied 2 years, 5 months ago 6 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    October 29, 2021 at 2:05 am

Hi! Spins actually take a bit of time to be able to do. They’re listed at the end of my Beginner section for that reason. So don’t feel discouraged at all, this is normal.

Can I ask if you’ve gone through my 30 day take off program? https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view_category/30-day-take-off if you have that’s great and I suggest moving on to the level one beginner program after that to help you continue building the skill and strength for spins.

Also know that static spins can be more challenging for a lot of dancers and spinning pole is just holds while the pole does the work. You could try working on spin (if you have that option) until your grip becomes stronger. When you’re ready to try the spins start from standing in place, just to get the feel, then move on to walking into it which gives you the momentum needed. Have you tried my tutorials for the spins you listed?

This routine will help with grip https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/5e7506d9-4224-4491-8439-4bc4ac110005

• imgalvin6056

October 29, 2021 at 3:23 am

Thanks so much Veena . I am just about to start your take off program . I was waiting for my pole to arrive – it comes in a few days !!
    I am glad I bought a pole that can spin now !
    I too feel that spins take a lot of strength , grip , coordination and muscle memory
    For me all these take time – longer than normal fire to my age and dyspraxia
    The odd thing about the dyspraxia is once o learn I tend to do fine . Spins are asking too much of me until I build up from the basics
    Thanks again for your encouragement and advice
    You are the best !!

• Veena

Administrator
    October 29, 2021 at 3:27 am

Yay for the now pole! Lete know if you ever have any other questions 💜

• PoleAdventures

October 29, 2021 at 8:54 am

Welcome to the pole family imgalvin 😊

Don’t get frustrated if you can’t do spins after 2 months. This needs time and it comes with time. I struggled a lot with spins at my start, I could climb before I was able to do spins!
    Keep up!

• Katherine McKinney

October 29, 2021 at 11:58 am

I too struggled with spins the most in the beginning. The only spin I was able to get for a few months was a back hook, and only through way of a stripper/ninja kick. Have you tried that variation of the back hook? It helped me get the POC and opened the door for other spins.

• xlumintionx

October 29, 2021 at 3:40 pm

You’re gonna have so much fun once you get your pole in!
    Spins took me almost a year to do right. I had the hardest time getting both legs off of the ground

• imgalvin6056

October 31, 2021 at 1:21 am

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement and reassurance
    I am never did ballet or gymnastics or dance as a child so my body is totally new to this . If I hadn’t learned to ski in my 40s I would never have attempted pole in my 50s !
    I a strong skier now so I know my muscles can learn
    Pole is such a beautiful artistic whole body workout and expression of life , that I am committed to it
    My sister got me into it . She is 59 and pretty impressive on the pole . This year I lost my husband in horrendous circumstances and I am still struggling with the aftermath
    Taking up pole has been light in the darkness for me
    Thanks again

• Veena

Administrator
    October 31, 2021 at 1:43 am

Oh imaglvin, I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. We’re here if you ever need some support.

Yes, pole really is a wonderful workout and outlet for all kinds of emotion. xoxo

• imgalvin6056

November 19, 2021 at 2:57 am

Me again !
    Just started the take off program . Also doing fitness blender and yoga so it’s about 90 – 120 mins of exercise a day . Started a week ago . Pole is now up in the basement .
    No luck with the spins yet . Can’t even do a pole hold
    I don’t think my grip is the issue as I am an anesthesiologist and I have great hand grip for one handed Bag mask ventilation
    It feels like a back and upper body issue to me but I really don’t know
    I suppose my question is – is inability to do a pole hold associated with inability to life legs in spin ie is A a prerequisite of B or not ?
    Thanks

• imgalvin6056

November 19, 2021 at 2:59 am

Not sure how the glasses photo got in there but maybe they are trying tu tell me something lol !!
    Maybe if I had glasses I could spin !!

• Neesy118

November 19, 2021 at 3:08 am

Hi, imglavin, first, my condolences, I’m so sorry for your loss. Happy to hear that pole is helping.
    It looks like you have a really nice space to pole in & a mat too, awesome.
    In reference to your issues with spin, could you possibly be gripping too hard? That was my biggest issue with static spins. I gripped too hard so I lost any momentum to rotate. Its a fine balance with gripping enough to hold you, but relaxed enough so you can spin, if that makes sense.
    Don’t get too frustrated, keep working on the lessons, you’ll see improvements in many aspects, some sooner than others

• imgalvin6056

November 19, 2021 at 3:39 am

Thanks . It could be but I feel it’s something else
    When I fall forwards in the beginning of a fireman’s spin my leg oh the pole automatically comes down
    It’s like a reflex . It feels horribly unstable
    It’s like I need to learn something else first that lead into it more gently

• imgalvin6056

November 19, 2021 at 3:47 am

BTW
    I can do a side pole hold tub both legs up ( pole tuck ) without any problem but not a front pole hold
    Not sure why

• Veena

Administrator
    November 19, 2021 at 4:05 am

Front pole hold needs more back and chest strength…keep going through the program, you don’t need to spin yet 😊

• imgalvin6056

November 19, 2021 at 4:14 am

Thanks
    I tried a back hook just now and I managed it
    It wasn’t pretty but I could do it !!!!
    I think it’s a back strength issue for me . I will keep going

Page 1 of 2