StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Aerial Silk Portable Rig

• Aerial Silk Portable Rig

Posted by jeng on March 11, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I know there are a few folks on the forum that do aerial silks.

I don't have the height to rig silks in my home so I was looking to purchase a portable rig I could put outside in my backyard in the summer to practice on.

Has anyone every used a portable rig and any recommendations?

Amelia72 replied 6 years, 11 months ago 18 Members · 25 Replies
  • 25 Replies
  • PoleFitMom

March 11, 2012 at 9:24 pm
  • wildredhead24

March 11, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I have performed on the rig from the trapezerigging.com site  several times. It sets up easily and can be erected easily with as few as two people.  

• upandover

March 12, 2012 at 11:54 pm

out of all the rigs listed, by far the one at trapeze rigging is the best, easy to set up, quick and very safe

I"ve bought 2 rigs from trevor, he's great to work with

• jeng

March 13, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Thanks, those are some of the rigs I've been looking at.  I'm trying to figure out if I want to go with the tripod vs 4 leg design.

I'm looking for something that is easy to put up and down that will still allow me to do some basic drops on.  Its just going to be used for me to practice on and not do any type of professional performances on.

Has anyone worked on the tripod configurations?

• upandover

March 1, 2013 at 9:07 am

the tripods suck, they fall over and because they are narrow at the top you loose up to 2ft in hight.  that and if the silk catches the wind it works like a sail and literly sends the thing flying.  I've never seen that happen on the sawhorse 4 legged ones. 

• CD Hussey fka Jivete

March 1, 2013 at 11:59 am

I love my tripod rig. I've never had a problem with stability. You do lose a little height at the top, though.

• aliceBheartless

March 1, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Agreed ^^^  I have never tipped the tripod rig I have used (it's not mine, but custom built for the company I performed with) but you definitely lose some height at the top. We only typically rig ours to 21 feet, but it does have the capability to be at  28-ish feet, I think.  And we have always performed silks on it, and even in the wind, it has never come close to tipping. Any rig, tripod or quad, can tip if it's not fixed/weighted, and especially if the act requires swinging. 

• upandover

March 1, 2013 at 11:03 pm

You can't do swing at all on  a tripod, not without anchoring the poles (even then you would bang into the legs on the side) that's where the stability issues are a concern as well, however you can do swing trapeze and cloud swing on a 4 leg version, 

Also with a tripod you only have 1 rig point, so that automatically limits your choice of apparatus, no trapeze, no double point Lyra, no 2 point hammock etc…

for the little bit of extra $ it's worth it to just invest in the sawhorse version, it's so much more versatile in various acts you can do, and in stability. 

• LRu Studios

March 2, 2013 at 1:36 pm
  • AliciaPolerina

March 3, 2013 at 7:56 am

My friend has the one from trapeze rigging and she loves it and its very sturdy! I can’t wait for spring so we can go out and use it 🙂

• byrdgrrl

March 4, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I have a Zen Swing Suspendulum, which is a tripod-style set-up.  I'm guessing it's the one from AerialDancing.com, as the link is broken.  I have used it outside with silk and have never had it tip or fall over. 

http://www.suspendulum.com

• CD Hussey fka Jivete

March 4, 2013 at 10:30 pm

That's the one I have, byrdgrrl. I do stake mine down, but I also leave it out all summer.

The ones from damnhot look pretty. Similarly priced with lots of options.

• byrdgrrl

March 4, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I don't stake mine down.  My aerial studio does double duty as my driveway, so I have to put up and take down each time.  I don't like practicing in the wind not because I'm woried about my rig (within reason, of course, if there's a wind advisory, not going out), but because I wear myself out much quicker just chasing my tails around.  There's nothing like hanging upside down in the middle of a trick, reaching back to grab the tail to finish the move, and it's not there.  

• linpony

March 26, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I know of a company in CA. who is capable of building one to order is called Cole Fabrication Iron Works out of Sacramento hope this helps

• Lynn Coleman

April 30, 2013 at 3:39 am

I have grown up with a family that built their own trapeze rigs and we performed across the country. My father has seen tripod rigs fail. they are not recommended by the "old timers" who have seen rigs fail. The swing set design is preferred, or the type originally used as a trampoline spot rig. I have used the one sold on Damnd hot. I liked some aspects of it, but it was hard to put up and down to the height of 18'. The top loosened, some of the legs loosened with moderate use. I worked on developing a better design and have been building prototypes for the past 3 years. The design I came up with is stable, easy to set up with 2 people not the 4 for the Damn hot rig. It does not have as much play in the legs, has a better design at the top, no lossening, and there is the ability to use it at 7.6 feet indoors for aerial Yoga up to 18' outdoors. The feet are a bit different and adjust to uneven surface. We are in the final stages to get it ready to sell. We will offer it at http://www.aerialfabric.com

Hope this helps the dialogue.

I did test the Suspendium and cannot recommend it. The play is too great. The pins that attach the legs could sheer off and the top will grind a groove in the poles. Even after one use there was a groove in the top poles. It was designed to be an adult swing not for aerial. Also the claims it was reviewed by a structural engineer are not accurate. Structural engineers are not in the habit of offering their letter of approval for portable rigs. There are too many variables.

Page 1 of 2