StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Aerial Silk Portable Rig

• hrhlaura

February 19, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Hey Lynn,

any more news on your rig design and availability for purchase?

• Cuwoody

February 19, 2014 at 5:50 pm

I am VERY new to the work of silks and lyra, so forgive my ignorance when I ask this question. How do the quad rigs stay stable and not tip when doing things on them? I am looking into this as an option at my house, but want to learn more about it. Thanks for your patience.

• Cuwoody

February 19, 2014 at 5:51 pm

World, not work. Sorry.

• Zagarachan

February 20, 2014 at 10:58 am

The best regarded portable rig is made by Trevor Boswell at http://www.trapezerigging.com It’s not cheap, but this is definitely an industry where you get what you pay for. Also worth noting is that his price includes shipping in the continental US while most others charge several hundred dollars for shipping.

• ludwig1255

February 21, 2014 at 11:26 am

ALL, Please NOTE, that ANY rig if free standing will tip over if there is a fabric on it and if the fabric , when NOT in use, is tied to the leg of rig. The fabric fills with wind and acts like a sail. NEVER tie the fabric to the leg unless you wind the fabric tightly so that the wind can NOT fill it like a sail.

• ludwig1255

February 21, 2014 at 11:32 am

ALSO, Tripods do NOT fall over unless they are not properly designed, but they have many drawbacks.
    The do get narrow at top, You can’t swing cause leg is in the way, they hold only 3/4 the load because they have only 3/4 of the legs to support the load.

Also, the comment about suspendulum by Lynn is correct. this is NOT a good rig, weak and has multiple flaws.

• ludwig1255

February 21, 2014 at 11:44 am

The comment that Lynn made about the Damnhot rig are also false.
    I make the Damnhot rig. Her rig is a copy of my Damnhot rig with minor modifications. She bought one of mine and promptly went to my old fabricator and had it copied. Almost indistinguishable from mine.
    Mine does not take 4 people to set up. I and one lady set up this light weight style rig to 21 feet just by the 2 of us. I also have a Heavy Duty rig that is a bit heavier and takes 3 people to set up. Mine set up from 6 ft to 24 feet with many , many height adjustment in between. Mine even comes with a extra wide top so Aerial Yoga schools can put 2 people on it at same time side by side.

Also the leg sliding off was an issue with early versions when people did not follow instructions and did not properly tighten the screws. Mods were made 2 1/2 years ago to address this issue of improper setup. My rig was the 1st rig ever to be able to be set up to many various height, she copied that as well. Mine uses stainless steel nuts and screws, not hers. Mine is powder coat, which is extremely tough, hers is spray paint that is not even baked on.
    Hers is an acceptable alternative to mine if mine does not suit peoples needs.
    My web page is http://damnhot.com/trapeze/New_port_rig.htm
    I have been making portable rigs for over 14 years and over 200 rigs in the country and come highly recommended by professional riggers.

• becky3048

June 16, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I just want to independently back up ludwig’s post. I and many aerialist peers have purchased rigs from him over the years and he is the original go-to. True, other people have lifted his designs, but since he is always making improvements on his own designs, he is definitely the person to go to. I recently asked him to build a piece of equipment that could transform in to a high panels performance rig but also be used for 4 aerial yoga slings in a tight space. (A) This guy knows his stuff. (B) He is a great creative problem solver. (C) He’s nice, and he’s patient.

• soniagcarlson5825

April 1, 2017 at 6:10 pm

Hi all – I know this is an older topic, but figured I’d post my question here anyway. I’m looking into getting a portable outdoor rig to keep in the backyard all summer. My dream is to be able to run outside in the morning, do a little climbing, maybe a few tricks or conditioning, and then run back inside and do all the stuff I gotta do (take care of the babe, etc.). And whenever I get a few spare moments, hop on the silk again!

Is this realistic? I’ve read that you can’t leave the fabric hung permanently due to risk of tipping in the wind, and I’d like to have a higher rig (16-20 feet, particularly since I’m tall). Is there a simple solution to this? Do I have to put up and take down the fabric with every use?

• Amelia72

May 6, 2017 at 9:34 am

I use XPole’s A frame,which is easy to put up alone after you’ve practised with someone a few times. I wouldn’t leave it up permanently because I think it can rust, but on a dry day you could leave it up most of the day in case.
    Regardless of the rigging, silks should always be left in a dry environment anyway 🙂

I find the A frame for hoop, aerial yoga and a bit of simple silks perfect, and it was £400,so not too expensive 🙂

Page 2 of 2