Forums Discussions stupid pole ceiling question

  • stupid pole ceiling question

    Posted by halfjack on May 14, 2010 at 1:51 pm

    I’ve just moved house, and I want to buy a new pole. The thing is I have no CLUE if the ceilings are appropriate. the room that i am going to be in is the one at the back of the house, which is an extension, so has no rooms above it if it makes any sense? How to I go about…checking? Do I just tap for joists or use a stud finder? Or is there a clear way of knowing if my ceiling is a false or drop ceiling? What exactly ARE false or drop ceilings??
    My house is rented so i dont especially want to ask the landlord
    If anyone could give me any assistance that would be brilliant!

    Mary Ellyn replied 14 years ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

    May 14, 2010 at 2:44 pm

    A drop ceiling is what you see in a lot of offices. It is typically a metal grid with panels that fit into the grid. A false ceiling is the same thing. The metal grid is attached to the real ceiling by metal hangers.


  • Mary Ellyn

    May 14, 2010 at 5:42 pm

    If I remember correctly there is a different type of ceiling in the UK called a false ceiling which is generally a few inches lower than the main ceiling and may appear solid (can’t remember what the material is it’s made of) but it’s not secure nor does it have joists above it.

Log in to reply.