StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions spin mode

• onepinkprincess

October 7, 2009 at 11:42 am

I’m afraid I have no words of wisdom I have tried spinny a few times and I find it really hard I think static is the way for me. The only thing I learnt was if you are pulled close in to the pole you go fast but leaning out from the pole you slow down. I get too dizzy to try anything more.

Cxxx

• SissyBuns

October 7, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I’m afraid I have no words of wisdom I have tried spinny a few times and I find it really hard I think static is the way for me. The only thing I learnt was if you are pulled close in to the pole you go fast but leaning out from the pole you slow down. I get too dizzy to try anything more.

Cxxx

One is right. The closer in the faster you go and the further out the slower you go. I am no spinny pro by any means, I just started trying to fool with it somewhat but I think it takes time to learn how to adjust your own body vs the speed of the pole.

I think I do recall seeing Veena say not to start out inverting on spin tho….. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_scratch.gif

• Charley

October 7, 2009 at 5:05 pm

I suck at spin mode – just prefacing with that.

Here’s my 2 cents on the whole thing – first please be sure that pole is tightened before going into spin mode as I have had poles come down, seen poles come down after extended use in spin mode – so be checking your pole.

Secondly, as V says don’t work on inverting on spin mode straight off. Work on your basic spins

Extending your body/limbs makes the pole slow down, pulling your body into the pole makes it go faster. It’s pretty tricky keeping a spinning pace so work with it. Many dancers will let the pole stop spinning while in an advanced move and use either the ceiling or the floor to spin them when they are ready to spin again.

Rule of thumb is to decrease your momentum by 50%. So in the beginning gently push off the floor into your spin or move.

Spin mode is great for building grip strength and your upper body, but be cautious because it is a little more dangerous and you have to be really present and in the moment while working with it. It’s also a good idea to use spin mode when you have a lot of space, smaller spaces can be more difficult because extending out to slow down the pole can be harder and you can hit yourself on desks, chairs, etc. LOL! I know I have more than a few times. It can be hard to get your bearing in spin mode.

With time you’ll get better at finding a more stable spin speed.

• carriej

October 9, 2009 at 12:56 am

Yeah, just a practice thing I guess https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif I notice that my arms seem more sore even with the basics on spin. Well, I feel pretty confident on static so I’m sticking with that for now but just trying to switch it up a bit when practice gets so repetitive.