StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions routines or freestyle??

• routines or freestyle??

Posted by carriej on September 20, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I’ve been practicing pole at the house for about a month and feel pretty good about the things I’ve learned.

Here’s the catch! When I’m at home, I just pick moves to learn and then work on them so I’ll be like, "Hmm…let’s practice the reverse grab spin." Then I go to pole class and the teacher shows us some moves and transitions and at the end puts on a few songs and tells us to just dance to the song. I have NO IDEA how to dance to the song!! The problem is that I don’t really know how to link everything I learned together and just end up walking or spinning around (and I’m sure it doesn’t look that good!).

Question is: Do you all make up full routines or do you just do whatever comes to mind when you dance? I really have no clue!

carriej replied 14 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Charley

September 20, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Does your teacher show you how to link the transitions with the moves? It might be something you want to work with her on.
    You could always ask her for a routine too. When I get requests for routines I write them up even if it’s just one person.

I freestyle, I always work with a song a few times before a performance and then have a general idea of it’s ebb, flow and peaks and work from moves that feel really good on my body and moves I know I can do well.

Generally speaking for practices – I will start just dancing and moving around the pole – no tricks, then I will freestyle with a few tricks thrown in and then by the 3rd song I start pulling out more things from my aresnal. There are days where I work with just tricks but I ususally will do them a few times and try to go into them from a transition or something.

• cbella13

September 20, 2009 at 8:05 pm

The pole classes I take have routines. Every three weeks we learn a new dance. The break it up like Week 1: 1st part of the dance, Week2:2nd part and then week 3 we put it all together. I’ve never freestyled because I don’t have my own pole at home. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_redface.gif I’m hoping they are going to have some open studio times soon so I can try it! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_bounce.gif

• carriej

September 20, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Yeah, maybe it’s just me being so new. I mean, our teacher does a great job of showing us a combo of a turn, a floor move, and a spin. The thing is that it takes maybe 30 seconds to do and then I just try to remember and do spins and turns but I feel like they don’t really look that great! It would be cool to have a whole routine!