StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions portable dance flooring

• portable dance flooring

Posted by PixiLouBell on September 11, 2013 at 11:30 am

hi girls, has anyone here used or have a portable "hard surface" dance floor? i am absolutely HATING my carpet and heels combo since i got rid of my stage, i just cant spin ect smooth at all which i used to love about my heels and stage, also for floorwork my heels need to be able to slide across the floor.  i need a hard floor under my pole but we do not want the trouble of putting a new floor in this house as we are renting and planning to buy hopefully in the near future (where i will have a pole room with a wood foor!!!! lol) a portable floor would be awesome to snap together and use for now. so far i have found http://www.danceequipmentintl.com/mats/portabledancemats/portabledancemats.html

http://www.dancedeck.com/

im just not sure if these would be "hard" enough for my spikey heels. if anyone has any info, id greatly appreciate u sharing. thank u! 🙂

BagLady replied 10 years ago 8 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • PixiLouBell

September 11, 2013 at 11:32 am

also for a reasonable price! i dont want to spend over 200 really. i was thinking maybe i could snap something together from menards or something, but not sure. thanks

• PixiLouBell

September 11, 2013 at 11:59 am

http://www.tylonflooring.com/porta_pro_dance_flooring.php

i think i may have just found what i need. 🙂 a little pricey but im sure its worth it 

• PoleLeo

September 11, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I'm interested in the same  thing. I hate dancing on my tile, and I always hope I'm not damaging my knees whenever I do floorwork. This is what I was looking at….

http://www.bigfloors.com/shop/oak/?gclid=CMbu4Lfsw7kCFQFk7AodeBYAJA

These ones are 3x3ft and you piece em together….i think 😉

I googled floating dance floors

• cupcakejenea

September 11, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Keep us updated ladies!!!..i hate carpet and wanna do a floor too!

• PixiLouBell

September 11, 2013 at 1:21 pm

leo- that is pretty much the same thing im looking at except the power pro flooring is a little cheaper, i found it for 3.14 at sears online! im excited to finally have an open floor (no stage landing) AND hard floor! thnx for sharing!! and will do cupcake

• StefanieM

April 27, 2014 at 11:32 am

Hi Poleleo, I too found Big Floors and want to order in a few weeks. I was wondering if you ordered from them and how it turned out? Or anyone for that matter. I have concrete flooring in my dance studio now, with carpet laid over it. With the snap lock portable floor, I am hoping this will protect knees but also allow for floor work and use of heels… Any new updates??

Thank you all in advance.

Stefanie

• PoleLeo

April 28, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Hi stefanieM, I ordered a few pieces to see what they were like and they are great however for the area I want covered I would have to order over a dozen more squares and and my pole is in my living room so it just wouldn’t be that practical in my house. I would love to have those floors but it’s just not feasible.

• tamikat

April 29, 2014 at 1:21 am

hey poleleo! is your pole in the center of the living room or off to one side? i ask because you may be able to create a space in the living area that stays hardwood if it isnt smack dab in the center lol

• PoleLeo

May 7, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Yes it’s right smack dab in the middle of my living room 🙁

• Sierra Taye

May 8, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Hey, so I don’t know what route you’re looking to take, but I actually made my own portable flooring that I can put together and take apart in about three minutes (if you can’t keep it up) and it goes around the pole rather than under it. If you go to my profile you can see it in my split grip ayshea video, or there’s a picture of it there too. Mine is pretty small because I didn’t have much room, but you can make it as big as you’d like. It was about $140 to make mine, but I picked a pricier tile to go on top. Let me know if you’re interested and I can post the directions, if not, I hope it works out!

• M Darling

May 21, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Hi Sierra, could you tell me about your flooring, where purchased and directions? I have asked a few others as I am trying to put together a small stage over my carpeted floors. I don’t really want to spend the money on the flooring kit (although it does look nice and I am considering it). I am trying to find the most affordable way to build a stage that I would like to be about 8’by 10′. I would only need to remove it if I move somewhere. I would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks!

• BagLady

May 22, 2014 at 12:25 am

What I did:

-Pack of fake wood flooring (sort of tongue & groove slats that fit together) from Costco, believe it was $30

-piece of wood from lowes (4′ x 6′ since that’s what I’ve got room for)

Using wood glue we laid the fake wood flooring down & covered the wood. Then put it under the pole and…that’s it! Whole process probably took 20 minutes (including taking down and putting the pole back up)

I’m really loving it. My favorite part is putting on socks and being able to swing around with em. I was hoping it would make my pole more spinny, but now I guess I need to loosen it a bit & see if that works.
    You can probably see what I built (I meaning bf & I) at the end of the last video I posted. It seems like a good solution.