StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions poling and chiropractors

• poling and chiropractors

Posted by smokinangel on May 5, 2010 at 6:54 am

Hey all,

I sprained my wrist years ago and it only flares up occasionally when I pole, like, once every two months or so. So I ice it and do spins on the other side, no big deal. I’ve been seeing a chiropractor lately, and he says my wrist is out of alignment and that he can fix it. Sweet. But, since he’s been working on it, it pops ridiculously loudly whenever I rotate it and it aches like crazy. He says its a process, and I get that, but at what point is it not worth it? The weird thing is now it actually starts feeling better when I pole, then he pops it and it hurts all over again.
    I also have really inflexible shoulders, but I’m working on stretching them out. He says that getting neck/spine back in alignment will make them more flexible. I’m not sure I believe this, but it would be awesome if true.
    I’m going in for my neck, so the appointments are already set, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with anything like this. Should I just give up on my wrist and have him leave it alone, or is it worth the aches if it can get fixed permanently. And should I get my hopes up about having magically flexy shoulders?

Thanks!

smokinangel replied 14 years, 2 months ago 8 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • minicoopergrl

May 5, 2010 at 10:26 am

I went to the Chiro before I started poling. I had noticed my knees and hips hurt alot, eventhough I was a hardcore gym addict. Once he started poping/realigning me, I started to feel much better. I slept better, all my knee/hip problems were gone. And I ‘grew’ almost an inch. He had me doing small exercises to my spine to work the little muscles as well. So I do believe in it, and my thought process is that they are the ones who went to medical school and trained in this field so Ill trust thier opinion.

My whole body pops only if I do it, rotating ankles, neck etc. Its a bubble of fluid that pops is what it is.

Have you told him that poling is helping but when he works on it, it reverses the process?

• RoxyPink

May 5, 2010 at 2:23 pm

ok so Im a HUGE fan of chiros and the "adjustments" that they do are a work in progress. While you may get sore after the adjustments that is normal. Your muscles aren’t used to the "new" position so therefore they get sore…over time they will adjust and the soreness will stop. Have you told him about your poling? Chiros tend to be a little more open minded then traditional MD’s! lol Mine knows what I do (even showed him some of my vids) so he knows the beating our bodies take and it allows him to taylor my adjustments accordingly! I would talk with him about it and maybe he will alter what he is doing. Good luck!

Just a side note…Both of my kids have been going to the chiro since they were 4 days old!!

• smokinangel

May 6, 2010 at 6:48 am

He knows what I do. He got super awkward and embarrassed when I explained it to him, though. Thought a pole was horizontal. Hehe. I have nothing against chiro, I’ve been going since I was little (minus time off in college which is when I sprained my wrist in the first place). I also pop like popcorn. But the wrist popping is painful. Nothing else is. It doesn’t feel like muscle pain, it feels like it’s in the wrist joint itself. I guess I’m just frustrated and needed to vent, but the constant ache is getting on my nerves. I see him again on Friday, I’ll ask him about it and see what he has to say. Thanks ladies!

• Ginger Kitty

May 6, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I’ve been going to a chiropractor for about 10 years. I love what it does for me. I have had a few occasions where my wrist has need an adjustment and it does produce quit a sting or burn and some soreness afterwards! Since you told him about the poling he should be over his initial shock. It will probably be easier to talk to him about it this next time.

On a side note, I haven’t told my chiropractor about my poling yet. I’ve only been doing this for a couple of months. But I figure I’m going to have to because one day I’m going to fall or do something and I know he will probably ask "So what were you doing when you injured yourself?". My chiropractor and I are actually pretty good friends so I’m going to have to find a way to tell him with out making him turn red. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif

• licia

May 9, 2010 at 5:48 pm

biggest thing here is that not all chiropractors are good! I have worked with at least 6 different chiropractors and will, myself be starting chiropractic school in january. but at one point through interactions with a terrible chiropractor almost decided not to go. however i have since worked with one that is incredible and has helped me work out many physical problems (since i abuse my body in the fitness industry, along with poling). Should you hurt a bit after adjustments? sometimes/maybe. should your chiropractor show embarrassment at or about your poling – no! its unprofessional also his reaction shows he doenst know how to work with someone who does those kinds of activities (when a chiropractor comes up against things like that they should educate themselves on the mechanics of the said activity (maybe he has since you spoke with him) – and like roxy-pink said – should tailor his adjustments to your needs and activities. Most important thing to do is speak up – repeatedly if necessary about the discomfort and pain you are having – if he doesnt explain himself or keeps doing exactly the same thing it is definitely time for a different chiro!!!

• Kandipole

May 10, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I believe in chiropractors to the fullest! I had a great one that I was recommended to by a friend who was poling so he was already aware of it. He doesnt do the traditional adjustments, he did a pressure type of adjustment using a tool and I went once per week for a few months then only every 2-3 months now and I feel way better!
    If I was having problems with moves of getting pain from them, he would come up with strength exercises for me and have me work on them. He is extremely knowlegable and helpful! Stick with it, it will get better!

• azzwoo

May 10, 2010 at 5:34 pm

This is my own opinion, so i’m not trying to ruffle anyones feathers as i know they give a lot of relief to some people. I believe in chiropracters, but only temporarily.
    They can put you back into alignment, but surely you need to get to the source of why you are out of alignment in the first place? If you have a weak muscle/ muscle group then its not going to correctly support the joint/ keep it in the correct position. I don’t entirely know what chiropracters do so I may be rambling about something I know little about, but I feel it should be used in conjunction with other therapies such as physiotherapy that will train the body to support itself. Some people can get reliant on temporary pain relievers, which is great if you can afford to keep it up for the rest of your life, but I know I would rather look at getting to the source of the problem.
    As a therapist (albeit a different profession), if the patient isn’t getting any improvement within 6 weeks, I would look at getting a second opinion.
    I am also slightly wary because a rugby player acquainance of mine went to see a chiro/osteo who manipulated his neck the day after he had had an injury, and he then (after an x-ray 2 days later because the pain got worse) found out he had a vertebral fracture which the therapist certainly should have picked up on! So always make sure they investigate thoroughly before doing any adjustements or mainpulations! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_salut.gif

• licia

May 15, 2010 at 4:26 pm

It is good that you posted about this – there are many so-so chiropractors out there and the general public should be well informed about what to expect in a chiropractor – there are still many old school chiros out there that believe in this silly philosophy about how the body has an innate ability to heal itself if the spine is properly aligned – this is OLD SCHOOL and as far as im concerned WAY outdated! we have much more scientific proof now of how important soft tissue (fascia and muscles) are in body pain and problems.
    you are 100% right about the alignment thing – if you go to a chiropractor to fix a problem the chriopractor (any chiropractor worth going back to) should be helping you to get to the root of the problem.
    not JUST adjusting you. a GOOD chiropractor should work very much like a physical therapist. however it is the patients responsibility to follow up with their own care – which often it the problem.
    our bodies work from the ground up. issues with our feet (including things like the shoes we wear), our knees, the leg lengths (or discrepancies there), our hips, our core all can cause major muscle imbalances and pain in our bodies. again an GOOD chiropractor will work with the muscles, analyze gait problems ect. I personally have 1 leg shorter than the other and my spine is quite curved (fortunately not noticeable with clothes on but very noticeable in my xrays). these problems will never go away – i can do exercise that help balance out these problems but basically due to being lopsided i will ALWAYS have discrepancies with how much force the same muscles (but on opposite sides of my body) will pull on my bones which will over time and given the type of activities i do cause pain and problems if they are not manipulated (usually by a chiro) every once in a while.

• Veena

Administrator
    May 15, 2010 at 4:57 pm

This is just my personal experience and its great if the Chiro works for you….I went to chiropractors my whole childhood and into my early 20s. Low back pain and knee pain……seemed like it was only a temporary fix. I would get better, then, move wrong or whatever, and back to pain again. Not until I started weight training did I have relief from my low back and knee pain. I have not seen a Chiropractor since. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif I’m a firm believer in stretching and strength work. A nice balance between strength and flexibility makes sense to me. If your having chronic pain working with a Physical Therapist might be a better bet. Massage is great too! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

• licia

May 15, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Again the direction that GOOD chiropractic practices are taking these days is much more of a whole body approach – strengthening weak muscles and correcting imbalances working with the soft tissue. they used to just crack and go – which DOES NOT WORK – for exactly the reason you stated not dealing with the root of the problem – and chiros that still do this give the rest a bad name (V you said as a kid – thats what 15 years ago?)

just like stretching can only take you so far with your flexibility, then have to incorporate the resistance stretching.

however your muscle build up scar tissue from exercise and strengthening (what is building muscle – it is micro tears in the muscle itself which then heal to become stronger/denser/more compact) stretching can only go so far sometimes the fascia (what encase the muscle) gets stuck – there are also many nerves that run through the muscle and fascia network – you have to apply pressure to it (the muscles and fascia) to "break up" that scar tissue – hence where you say massage can help. Active Release Technique (ART) is widely used by many professional athletes, people in the fitness industry, Olympic athletes and many marathon type athletes. it is a type of pressure applied to the muscles while they are being activated or stretched to get into the problem areas – much more of a focused/targeted thing than just an overall massage though.

any way proper treatment all depends on the particular problem an individual is having – first and foremost is the communication the patient has to have with their chiropractor and the discussion about what has caused or could be the cause of the problem in the first place.

• smokinangel

May 17, 2010 at 6:01 am

So I talked to a physical therapist friend of mine. Turns out I should have done that before the chiro. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cry.gif Not only is my wrist hurting constantly since he’s been working on it, it has also moved up into my elbow (which has NEVER hurt before). My PT friend says my tendons are inflamed, and it turns out the stretches my chiro gave me for my wrist stretch the wrong tendons. I can feel the inflammation in the tendon just by pressing on my arm. *sigh* The next time I see him I’ll tell him to just leave it alone. When I get back from vacation I’m going to a PT. If anyone is interested in the exercises/stretches they give me, just let me know. Thanks for all the advice ladies, sometimes it’s good to have the reassurance that you can question your doctor!