StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions leg holds?

• leg holds?

Posted by polarbearlove on March 17, 2010 at 11:06 pm

So watching all of you amazing girls gets me pumped up and then there is that little bit of me that says wtf why cant u do that? SO my question is how in the world do you get your legs to grip when you are inverted? I can get up there and do like a CAR but that’s it… I have been trying to do some stuff inverted with out hands and i slide down the pole or i don’t feel grippy enough to let go. I warm my pole up forever before i invert. Any suggestions?

polarbearlove replied 14 years, 4 months ago 8 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Layla Duvay

March 17, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Lots o’ skin!! Preferably warm and not too sweaty!!

• polergirl

March 17, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Part of it is learning how to lock in a leg grip. This takes some playing around for most folks, I think. Do a handstand with your belly against the pole (you can walk your legs up to it), and grip. Try different leg positions until you find one that feels secure. You’ll know if your legs are taking weight–at that point you can try to raise your hands a wee bit to check just how much weight they’re taking.

For some people the grip is in the shins, for others it’s more in the thighs, and some people feel more secure with shins + thighs. It’s all about finding what parts of YOUR legs grip best for you and give you the most secure lock on the pole.

• Journey

March 17, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Are you just talking about for the basic invert (crucifix)???

I laid on the floor on my back, with the pole to my side – about halfway between my ribs and hip along my waist. I’d pull my legs up into the invert position, grip, and then relax my abs so my legs were holding the weight. This way you can experiment with the grip without falling (and you’re in the same position you would be if you inverted from standing). It’s basically the same thing Polergirl is telling you to do, except hers is from a headstand and mine is laying down. Point being to find a way to hold yourself upside down to play with your legs without falling on your head in the process. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_tongue.gif

I’m strange – I grip quite a bit with my feet and ankles. I get creases in the skin on top of my foot from sliding down sometimes… kinda hurts. But it’s nice for moves like the caterpillar climb where you can’t rely on your knees and thighs to grip as much. *shrug*

• FreeTheSun

March 18, 2010 at 5:27 am

I grip with my ankle and top of my feet a ton too. It really hurts!

For me, I inverted and slid down to a handstand (either mid air coming tum square with the pole or when your hands are touching walk yourself around) and then lifted one hand, then switched and then both for a split second and then I had it.

• poletrickster

March 18, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Exactly what I have been wanting to know also thanks for asking https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• azriel

March 18, 2010 at 5:02 pm

If you’re talking about the inverted crucifix, also make sure that your ankles are on either side of the pole, so that the pole is BETWEEN your two ankles. Many people at first don’t realize this, and they tend to put both feet on the same side of the pole, causing them to have less grip (as you can’t squeeze the pole as well between your legs this way).

For gemini, you have to really get the pole in your knee pit, and try to get your foot pointing down towards the floor for the best lock/grip.
    Always try letting go of one hand first, to test your stability before attempting to let go of both, & i agree with trying from the floor first, to be safer! Hope this helps a bit!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_razz.gif

• sunnyinphoenix

March 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm

for gemini: I suggest getting into that position then using your hands pull your body slightly toward the pole. Then see if you can release your hands (keep them close just in case https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif ). This helped me to find the "sweet spot." Also it’s easier if you have your skin showing.
    With any inverted move, its a good idea to invert and then let your self slide down a little so you are closer to the floor. again just in case. I also think it gives you more confidence to try letting go.

sometimes if my skin seems really slippery, I put on some aloe vera (the kind that looks like green jello). It moisturizes, but also makes your skin a little sticky.

Sunny https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_sunny.gif

• polarbearlove

March 19, 2010 at 6:03 pm

thanks for all of your input! I will be trying it today later on. I can do the inverted crucifix with no problems its just the one leg stuff that gets me every time…. Thanks again!!!