StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions how to grip for one armed spins

• Sapphirecatzeye

February 5, 2010 at 6:02 pm

if you look at my Strictly spins video its almost all one handed. i think a grip with the fingers a little more open than tightly closed is better. Plus the best way to learn them is to do it over and over! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• Audball

February 6, 2010 at 12:49 am

I find I grip the same when doing one armed spins. It was just a matter of waiting until my arms were strong enough! Just try do spins the same way you do normally, then take one arm off?

• moonflower

February 6, 2010 at 5:43 am

I have tiny hands. There is almost a one inch gap between thumb and finger tip even on a 45mm pole. I found that when I learned the 1 handed spins I had to rotate my hands so that they were slightly behind the pole in relations to my body. So if I’m spinning with my right hand up, I place my hand as if I am about to do a 2 hands spin, then I rotate my wrist (keeping wrist straight, in proper form) towards my fingers a an eighth rotation. I’m sorry if my explanation is not very clear. This hand position ensures that as centripetal acceleration kicks in, my fingers and palm are opposite my body and is able to hold me on the pole. Otherwise I find it very hard to keep myself from flying off when doing a powerful spin.

Keep in mind though that my hands are extremely small for an adult, my 10 yr old cousin’s hands are larger than mine, if that says anything. I do this out of necessity. I’m not 100% sure if doing this is safe for the joints, so if anyone knows, please reply.

• Mary Ellyn

February 6, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Moonflower..in answer to your question about wrist alignment…the neutral wrist is the safe position. I don’t quite understand your description but if your wrist is bent or flexed at all in either direction this can be bad for your wrist. The wrist should always be on the same side of the pole as your shoulder at all times throughout the spin.

Single handed spins are done when the hand and forearm strength improves – but that presumes there are not other mitigating factors like a weak shoulder, elbow problems, higher body weight, etc.

As for the finger positions…if your fingers are strong enough to spread apart slightly you will have more control with a wider range of contact however, if your fingers aren’t strong enough then your fingers should be close together concentrate your strength.

• polergirl

February 6, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Also, with one-armed spins, I have found that momentum is my BFF. When I first started dropping a hand, I was too tentative and found myself sliding *right* down. When I finally just decided to go for it, as it were, my efforts became a lot easier. Now, I don’t do a ton of one-armed spins because I always end up doing something utterly dorky with my other arm, lol. It’s prettier to just leave it on the pole. Maybe someday I will gain some one-armed gracefulness.

• moonflower

February 7, 2010 at 4:29 am

Empyrean, I understand what you mean about neutral wrist and I think my hands is slightly off neutral when I start the spin but when acceleration kicks in, it settles in a neutral position during the spin when I need it the most. But if I start with hand in neutral, the momentum and weight of my body pulls it out of alignment during the spin. I don’t think the problem for me is hand or forearm strength since I can split grip aysha and cartwheel mount with no problems. The problem for me only arises in one handed spins when done with a lot of momentum. I don’t mind though because I don’t do many spins anyway though mostly because I get queasy easily. I’ll be sure to watch my wrists for any signs of pain or discomfort.

• Mary Ellyn

February 7, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Moonflower…I thought that might have been what you were describing…I really have no idea if that is potentially damaging but I would guess it depends on how soon your wrist moves into neutral alignment.

While we are on it…improving hand, wrist and forearm strength is one of the most challenging yet most effective tasks in pole dancing. I love the Dynaflex Powerball for this!! They come in different strengths so if you google them make certain you get the strongest one as the all start at 0 rpms. Some only go to 13000rpms…the one with flashing blue lights is the strongest going up to 80,000rpms.

If you get on you might as well get one you will not outgrow as your strength improves.

• FreeTheSun

February 7, 2010 at 5:16 pm

My Dad got the Dynaflex Powerball (probably the 80,000 rpms because he is a huge grizzly bear of a guy) for Christmas a few years ago. It takes a bit of practice to find the proper rhythm but once you get it going you better hold on tight lest if fly out of your hand. At the end you forearm and finger muscles feel so tired. It’s great.