StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions how long would it take to achieve this level of skill

• luvlee

November 30, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I like that video too. I have it saved in my favs. The thing about pole is, everyone progresses at their own pace. Some get to this level in a year. Some 5 or more. I will tell you that flexibility is very important to work on and work on often. EVERYTHING is easier if you are more flexible.

• darling dearest

November 30, 2012 at 8:55 pm

It really, really depends. Something like this can take YEARS to achieve, some people might not ever get there. My current instructor is at a competition level and she has trouble deadlifting arms-only climbs like that.

It's nice to have people to admire and look up to as a sort of personal motivation, but I think it's important to remember that pole isn't a race to see who can learn x tricks the fastest. It's a journey!

• luvlee

November 30, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I have been poling 4 years and can do most of what she does. Excluding a couple things. She has more flexibility than I do currently.

• CapFeb

November 30, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I’m 20, been pole dancing for almost 9 months. And there is only one move that she did that I know I can’t do. Which is arms only climb. I’m also almost entirely self taught (learned conditioning and flexibility, had 2basic classes and one adv so far.) My instructor swears up and down that I could do allegra and special k, so I’d assume I could do keem. So that brings my total to…4 moves that I don’t know? Including the aerialsummersault thing that I always forget the name of. And I’ve never tried The Embrace, but it’s in my “this is going to hurt like a mofo bone bruises” series with yogini and teddy.

I agree with DD. It does not matter how fast you get there. I rushed to get to where I am and I’ve suffered two muscle injuries because of it. Move at a safe, happy pace, always.

• CapFeb

November 30, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I’m 20, been pole dancing for almost 9 months. And there is only one move that she did that I know I can’t do. Which is arms only climb. I’m also almost entirely self taught (learned conditioning and flexibility, had 2basic classes and one adv so far.) My instructor swears up and down that I could do allegra and special k, so I’d assume I could do keem. So that brings my total to…4 moves that I don’t know? Including the aerialsummersault thing that I always forget the name of. And I’ve never tried The Embrace, but it’s in my “this is going to hurt like a mofo bone bruises” series with yogini and teddy.

I agree with DD. It does not matter how fast you get there. I rushed to get to where I am and I’ve suffered two muscle injuries because of it. Move at a safe, happy pace, always.

• Kyrsten

November 30, 2012 at 11:00 pm

That's one of my favorite pole videos too! There needs to be a drooling emoticon lol

It does depend — I have been poling for about 16 months and I can do most of the tricks and splits she does in that video (expecting the no-legs climb… I can only do like 2 lol), but I'm nowhere near as smooth as she is in her movement! I would not consider myself on her level because of that.

Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses so it's hard to say. People who have backgrounds in dance or gymnastics may already have a foundation of flexibility, strength, and flow and pick things up quite easily, but I would say for most complete newbies it would take at least a few years to start to really start mastering all of the pieces of the puzzle and putting them together in such a skilled way. (Not to say there aren't pole prodigies, lol) It also depends on how much work you are willing to put in… someone who practices many hours a week focusing on different things with a pole at home will likely progress faster than someone who takes 1 class a week at a studio, you know?

Short answer: probably a few years unless you're athletic or happen to be naturally gifted at pole.

But the great thing about pole is no matter what your level, there is always something to work on and something you can accomplish. I honestly enjoy pole no more or less being able to do advanced tricks than I did when I could barely do a fireman, and seriously, non-polers are impressed by about ANYTHING you do… I climbed the pole twice and did a pole sit once at a party and the ladies were absolutely blown away, lol 😛 And pole is so versatile that even if you can't do any advanced tricks or even invert, you can still put together a beautiful performance. I quite enjoy watching polers who just make simple movements look beautiful.

• Runemist34

November 30, 2012 at 11:16 pm

As everyone has said, the length of time can vary. I've not been very dedicated in my pole dance, and after 4 years, have only recently been seriously getting into aerial moves. However, if you know how your body works, you workout SMART as well as frequently, I would say that you could, potentially, achieve this within two or three years of consistent practice.

That said, I agree with the others; everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. It could take you four years to get the flexibility, but only one and a half to gain the strength. Or vice-versa. How your body is made, and what it's good at, will create a very special, specific and unique journey for you.

• zoeyxxxx

December 1, 2012 at 2:41 am

I think it always depends on your dedication how many times a week you pole.I love this video too . The flexibility is great. I’m far from having that sort of flexibility. I lernt my strenth rather quick I’ve only been poling 4 month and I’m working on no leg climb at the moment. But my flexibility sucks. And floor work is rather bad witch I’m working on at the moment to. I dnt think its that I suck at floor work I just lack confidence and wounder weather I look like something gone wrong lol. I think we all have difrent areas were good at were mine is strength but floor n flexibilty is hard for me. So my new year plans is to concentrate more on that. I always say if you want something bad enough and you put in the efort you will get it in the end. 🙂 xxx

• GiedreB

December 2, 2012 at 6:06 am

Out of topic: this video was flying all over facebook some days ago by my none-pole friends and their friends and their friends, and so on… It saddens me what disrespectful comments that video got… 🙁 People just don't get how much dedication and how much super hard work is required to do what she did.

• Krista Bocko

December 2, 2012 at 8:54 am

She has it all. Strength, flexxy, great flow. I am amazed at how much air time she gets in her spins. That one arm knee tuck spin? Holy cow.

I'd say for the 'average' person…a solid 2 + years, depending on how much time/money etc you have to dedicate to it.

• megan12

December 2, 2012 at 10:14 am

I hadn't seen this video before. She is really awesome! That one armed knee tuck spin and one armed embrace, wowza. Like everyone else said, it's really about how fit you are beforehand and how much time you can spend practicing. I think over time, you develop your own style that is uniquely yours. It plays off your strengths and your experiences.  I would say my style is sexy strength. I'm not very flexible but I'm strong and I'm good with booty work and body rolls .

I started poling at 27 years old and I've been doing it for just about nine months now. I previously had no dance experience, ever. lol. I can do probably 80% of what she does in the video but I've been very dedicated to practicing both at home and at the gym. Gaining flexibility will always be my challenge.

As a side note, flow really makes the dance. That's not something I focused on at the beginning, I just wanted to dive headfirst into tricks. I would bet the woman in this video has/had an exotic dance background. I've found my flow has gotten exponentially better since I started exotic dancing. Even though really none of my co-workers utilize the pole for tricks, I've learned so much from them. So I think just going to a strip club to observe can lend something.

• Charley

December 2, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I don't think you should ever put a time limit on learning.  I think I would go through the video and find things I cannot do that I love, write them down and then find a basic version of the move, and work my way up.

Not only does she have some effortless looking tricks but she gets, out, up and down effortlessly – that's probably the hardest part.  You can master a move but have no way of putting it in a dance like this.

I would take all the pieces in this that inspired you and work them in your own way!  😀

• Charley

December 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Also – I wanted to post to the OP – I have below average flexibility and strength and I have an extremely difficult time learning new things – my advice is to work the fundamentals of pole – spins, floor work and transitions – you will gain strength doing these.  I love to do LOTS of beginner dancers because although climbing and inverting are difficult – I find I have a lot of rest points…when you have to keep moving and lifiting you build strength rather quickly.

Keep stretching safely and it will happen I promise.  I can't do the splits, my body isn't meant to be bendy and it snaps back to its tight place quickly.  I'm 30, I accept that.  It can take longer with age/genetics but you can do it it – you just have to focus and discipline.  🙂

• Krista Bocko

December 2, 2012 at 6:22 pm

@charley, you can’t do the splits? I am sooo not bendy and it bugs me a lot . I keep working on it though and focusing on strengths…your post makes me feel better because I feel like, as a Teacher, I really should have them and it feels like everyone else does…
    Also, yes I also don’t like to put timeframes on things, though I threw out a number because it’s so easy to underestimate and get discouraged.

• Charley

December 2, 2012 at 7:28 pm

@Sparrow – I think it's harder to achieve things when you are a teacher, that require a lot of time.  We have a lot on our plates – we have to perfect pole moves, clean the studio, put together class, etc.  So don't feel like because you teach you should be able to do everything under the sun!  The most important thing you do is give your time to others to help them achieve and acoomplish – even some things that you yourself would like to have!  🙂

Page 1 of 2