StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions fed up with my slippery pole

• ATXpolerina

April 14, 2011 at 7:18 am

I use rubbing alchohol to clean my pole and I know its hopeless for me to attempt to play on my pole while its cold.

I usually start my pole practice with spins. It helps warm up the pole and you which is a winning combination! I also recommend Dry Hands, it works for me!

Do you have an X-Pole by chance? Thats what I use and now that im thinking back, I remember it being slippery and somewhat impossible when I first got it. Six months later, I dont have that issue much anymore but I wonder if its an improvment of my grip or maybe over that time I took off some mystery layer it had picked up during shipping or something?

Best of Luck =)

• ATXpolerina

April 14, 2011 at 7:19 am

I use rubbing alchohol to clean my pole and I know its hopeless for me to attempt to play on my pole while its cold.

I usually start my pole practice with spins. It helps warm up the pole and you which is a winning combination! I also recommend Dry Hands, it works for me!

Do you have an X-Pole by chance? Thats what I use and now that im thinking back, I remember it being slippery and somewhat impossible when I first got it. Six months later, I dont have that issue much anymore but I wonder if its an improvment of my grip or maybe over that time I took off some mystery layer it had picked up during shipping or something?

Best of Luck =)

• amy

April 14, 2011 at 7:33 am

If it’s chrome you absolutely canNOT sand it; the chrome plating is not thick and you can sand right through it and permanently ruin your pole. You can only sand a stainless pole.

• Cinara

April 14, 2011 at 8:00 am

I just tried a cheating method to warm up my chrome x-pole. I put my heater about 15cm away from the pole and left it on for a few minutes. I also used vinegar, and then rubbed the pole really hard and also used Dry Hands. It made my pole the stickiest it's ever been. It was like brass (for like 5 minutes until my sweaty oily hands ruined it.)

Using spins and basic moves to warm up your pole is probably better, so you can discipline yourself to practice dance as well as tricks. But if you just want to warm up the pole quickly to do some strength or something, try a heater.

• divapolegoddess

April 14, 2011 at 8:43 am

I have a titanium gold x-pole but I guess it is different from the chrome.  I hope some of these suggestions work for you https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• minicoopergrl

April 14, 2011 at 9:01 am

I have a chrome pole as well.  When I first got it and after Charleys suggestion I used acetone and gave it a good wiping.  You dont know how long those poles have been sitting in the warehouse before they shipped it to you so it may have film over it.  Ive still been using the acetone as a cleaner but I may switch to something else.

When I warm up my pole, I do pole climbs using both legs.  So not only am I working both sides of my body when it comes to a climb, I can warm up my pole as well.  Mine is in the laundry room and Ill run the dryer for about 20min as well. 

• lilblondie

April 14, 2011 at 2:06 pm

PLEASE don't sand your pole!!!!!!  especially not with a "low grade" sandpaper … the numbers on sandpaper work so that the lower the number, the more abrasive.  something like 80 grit sandpaper practically has jagged rocks on it.

I totally understand your frustration though. I had one slippery pole and sold it.  I was ready to throw it out the window or maybe bash it with a crowbar.  I replaced it with a TG xpole and $400 later the damn thing was still slippery.  what saved the day was discovering Itac.  I LOVE the stuff.  I put a thin layer on my hands and grab the pole all over.  It only takes a tiny bit — not even enough to see — and by the time it rubs off, your pole is warm!  I used to hate the idea of grip aids, but I would sing my love for itac from the rooftops! 

• nymphdancer

April 14, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I sandpapered the heck out of my stainless steel minx. Was the best thing I ever did for it. Well second best, the best was I bought a chrome x pole and now they are both up in my living room. Much prefer the chome. I still Itac the heck out of the minx if I'm going to use both.

• TrixieLovett

April 14, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I marinate in e.  Literally.  When I get out of the shower in the morning I use it instead of moisturizer.  It's difficult, since it so dry living here in the desert, but DP has made a huge difference in my poling. 

• stevemfloyd7239

April 18, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I've heard of cetaphil lotion helping with grip. What type of their lotion works best?

• PoleNerd

April 23, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I use Cetaphil as a face/body moisturizer, but it doesn’t help for hand grip – it has lots of oil in it. Moisturized skin definitely sticks better, but you have to make sure the lotion goes on hours before you pole so there’s no residue.

• AliciaPolerina

April 23, 2011 at 9:40 pm

When I first got my chrome x pole it was super slippery too! I heard you just have to clean the hell out of it with alcohol to “break it in” or something! It seems to be grippier the longer ive had it, but if its cold out forget it!

• Juntra

April 26, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I only got my chrome X-Pole a few days ago, and I'm so frustrated that I can't even climb the pole! The pole at the studio was so much easier to climb. I warmed up the room, the pole, and warmed up my body. I've been wiping my pole with alcohol all the time. It only feels stickier for the next 60 seconds and then it's back to slippery again. 🙁

How much do I need to use this to "break it in"? Do I need to constantly spin on it? I wish the pole would hurry up and become sticky enough to climb!

• XLauraX

April 26, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I find the pole needs to be warm before I can climb it, if its cold there is no chance I can do it. 

• PolefitFanatic

May 2, 2011 at 4:46 am

Have you tried wax? Ordinary candle wax. We don;t use it at our studio, but a lot here do. It's a revelation – it comes off when cleaned with white spirit. But, give it a try, it's amazing.

Page 2 of 3