StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions do your kids know you pole?

• nymphdancer

December 1, 2010 at 12:31 pm

my kids know it the pole is in the middle of the living room and even went with us to disney and was put up in the condo https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif

• Stacy

December 1, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Yes, of course. My son is 3, and he takes a spin occasionally. I don’t do serious pole around him because its dangerous though. My son has a thing for women who like to shake it! He thinks Mad Madam Mimm from "The Sword in the Stone" is all woman when she transforms herself all purdy-like and bumps her hips.
    On the contrary, when we hide interests/hobbies from our children we give them an idea that pole fitness (and other accomplishments) is something to be ashamed of; depending on perspective and circumstance of course. I don’t know if I would openly have a pole up in my living room if my son was entering puberty though.

• strawberryss

December 15, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Simply put: they way you treat pole dancing is the way your kids will learn to treat pole dancing. If you hide it and sneak around like it’s dirty then that’s what they will grow up to believe. Everyone brings their kids over to play on my pole. They don’t dance on it dirty or sexy. They don’t even know how to think of it as that. Only adult minds make those kinds of associations. They just see it as an indoor playground. And everytime my neices and nephews come over, I teach them tricks.

Check this video out of us from last summer! It’s a riot!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ul3BoawK04

https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cat.gif

yes jungle cat! Thanks for that. This is also the way I see things but can’t seem to get hubby on the same page, first thing out of his mouth is "STRIPPER POLE". Pole just went up at my house this week, but he is freaking out about he kids touching it. My stepson(18) wants on it really bad and dad freaked on that said nope is for girls. then freaked when 3yo daughter started doing her little tricks. he said i was going to turn her into a stripper before she’s even 12. i have been really angry about his attitude. The only one of the kids that had any reservations about it was my 9yo (where he learned about stripping is beyond me, thank you plaground) but when i explained to him that it wasn’t just for that and showed him videos (chinese pole, martial arts pole, and of course Veena’s pole family dance) he is okay with it now. My little boys (7, 5) don’t care and looooove playing on the pole.
    IDK how i’m going to get that preconceived notion out of DH’s head. ugh, piggymen! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_safesex.gif

• calipolepixie

January 19, 2011 at 5:19 pm

My little ones don't exactly get it yet ie they dont associate it with strippers or anything…they just know I use it to dance and for exercise. My little ones also LOVE doing moves on the pole and can't pass by it without spinning around it. I've taught my 6 yr old son a few spins and poses which he has nailed. My 3 year old isn't as apt as my 6 year old on the pole yet but she is trying to learn some moves 🙂 I believe honesty is the key with kids and like most have said if you act like there is nothing wrong with poling(which there isnt), then your kids will see nothing wrong with it either! On the other hand, my 18 year old who moved out a few months ago mind you…thinks its gross that i pole dance he strongly believes that moms are not supposed to move like that nor should they be sexy only strippers are allowed lol.  He also getsHHeHealso getsHeHe is also a little weirded out that the little ones can do moves on the pole…last time he visited over xmas though I got him to try a couple of holds on the pole to show him that it is very athletic and hard to do!  I showed him some of the chinese pole dance vids as well and he was a little impressed by that. Granted, he's still not completely sold or ok with his mom doing it doing it but he did think some of the chinese pole work stuff was cool.

My pole is smack dab in the middle of our living room and my husband always offers to take it down when we are expecting visitors but I always say nope leave it up and I am honest about the fact that I pole when people ask. Most of my husbands family and mine know that I pole, some are weird about it but most are cool about it. The only time i take my pole down is when the landlord or maintence team is supposed to come into our apt other than that my pole is like a piece of our furniture lol

• AmiSue

January 20, 2011 at 5:36 am

My son is 4 and my daughter is 2 and even though my pole is somewhat out of the way in our spare room, the minute they see me putting on my shoes they start running to the "pole room" to help mom practice on the "fireman pole".  Mostly they just run around it but they absolutely LOVE for me to slide them down from the top.  I would prefer that they weren't so knowledgeable about my pole, especially my son because he's very chatty, but it's impossible to hide anything from their insatiable curiousness lol. 

I must say that I was a little, um, surprised, when we went to a McDonalds with a play park in it and instead of playing with the other kids on the intended equipment, my daughter was on the support pole O.O 

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/Amib1179/Em.jpg

• vamp79

January 20, 2011 at 6:54 am

Amisue ~ that’s just too freakin cute!!!
    My 4 year old used to spin on my pole all the time but she has goten tired of it (I got my pole last year in June). My 11 year old daughter knows that I do it for exercise and the challenge. I dont do anything sexy on it unless they are both in bed so to the its really one more equipment that i use in the garage.

• 3amethyst

January 20, 2011 at 9:23 am

I second the  "Too Cute~ness " of the photo! Love it!

• Aquarius80

January 21, 2011 at 10:17 am

This photo is adorable. I have showed it to all my coworkers who know I pole.

• Tiger Leahy

April 26, 2011 at 6:33 am

our son is 11 months old so he's gonna grow up with a pole in the house…he'll probably be better at it than me by the time he's 3 lol he already tries to climb the kiddie fireman pole at the park!

neither myself, my hubby or any of my sisters or mates have ever seen anything wrong with pole fitness….it actually shocks me more when ppl are uneasy about telling others they pole!

• RM2012

May 25, 2012 at 7:44 am

My kids are only little (daughter 3, son 2, youngest son 8 months) but the physio thought it was brilliant when she came for a home visit, as our son has recently learned to work (he was a 25 weeker) – around the pole!! 😀 My daughter loves to climb it and they think it's a piece of play equipment. I used to work as a dancer and that is of course something I'd never want for my little girl, so for me I love that she can learn how to dance if she wants to without any sexuality, that it's just for fun and fitness. Hubby thinks it's great for the kids to grow up around too 🙂

• Krista Bocko

May 25, 2012 at 7:58 am

I have 4 kids, 2 poles at home, and I teach pole…so yeah, they know I pole. I don't practice around them often though, too annoying and hard to focus, LOL, and they def don't see the 'sexy' side. 

I like that they're growing up around all kinds of cool stuff. Silks, lyra, hoop, pole…and I wish I had! 🙂

• dancing in the gray

May 25, 2012 at 10:51 am

My whole familpy, nieces and nephews included, know I pole. At my studio, I’m pretty sure every instructor’s children also play on the pole.

I totally agree with those who said that it’s up to you on how your family ends up perceiving pole.

• Felisha

May 25, 2012 at 11:57 am

I have a daughter only 2 years old but she’s been exposed to this for almost a year now. I never take my pole down that’s too much work. My landlord maintenance workers neighbors Everyone has seen it asks and I show them a quick vid and all I get is awesome. I’ve never been asked if I was a stripper because they all got to know me before they even knew I had a pole. So when they do find out they are like wow that’s why your skinny and buff lol. All of my family knows. Mind you I’m only 23, I’m the youngest of my brother and sister. My brother and father know but dnt want to see anything lol me bein their “little girl” even my grandparents who are 70 knw. I skype with family all the time and it’s always go upside down! My mother whom I send videos to shows random people in super markets and her friends at work. She’s extremely proud. Like jungle cat said how you treat pole is how others will see it. Back to topic now, yes my daughter is young but she knows what it is. Walks around it holding it or will stand next to it and just use her hand to spin it. My daughter was diagnosed with cp at 9 months. We have Many many therapists who come weekly for therapy. Some ask right away others waited. But her main teacher actually likes that I have a pole. Lily didn’t walk until she was 16 months.. And how did she get started? By standing next to the pole holding it and walking in circles. So it’s not just for me. Her physical therapist sees her using her right hand ( which is the aide affected by cp) and she encourages her! Because lily rarely uses that hand and if her holding a pole with that Hand gets her to use it then she’s all for it. Point is the kids are what they see. And I’ll be happy if lily grows up appreciating pole for it’s strength and beauty the way I do.

• nolaelle

May 25, 2012 at 12:45 pm

What a cool post. Everyone’s got such great advice! I’m child less for now but I’m a nanny and I’m thinking how every park I take the kids to has a pole as part of the playground structure. So if anyone gives you sass you can always be like “well we couldn’t fit the whole jungle gym in our kitchen”.

Haha just a thought that poles are already in playgrounds and I agree with y’all that its adults that bring the judgment!

• Sweet D

May 25, 2012 at 2:08 pm

My boys are 5 and 7 and both think it's the coolest thing every having a pole in the house. They know that's mommy's workout pole and have never questioned it in any other way being as they have never been exposed to any other reason to have such a piece of harware around…lol! My 7 year old has become an excellent climber as well. Only negative side is their innocence in telling other people about it and them not understanding. My son made me a picture for mother's day using all the letters in the word mother and writing a sentence for each. For R he wrote….Rocks at climbing things…..I am sure his teacher raised an eyebrow at that one….lol! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_surprised.gif https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

Page 2 of 3