StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions custom tool to help me progress

• custom tool to help me progress

Posted by AvaBabe on October 22, 2012 at 8:32 am

So i am a very visual/tactile person and i man that in the way that i operate best when i see and do things in conjunction. So i made a video the other day and i noticed i was very repetitive… And i thought why do i not do these tons if things i know?? So i made a visual for myself. I took a big poster board cut it into like 80 squares, wrote a move on each one (color coding for poses, spins, standing moves, floor moves, transition floor standing, etc) and taped them to my wall in my pole room. Now i can custom mix and match moves and them practice them in that order, switch them out when they don’t quite work, then do it all over again! I have a visual cue to look at while dancing so i can see and do at the same time and planning things seems to help me progress as well. I can see exactly what I’m doing, what i did, what i can do/should. It’s my way of putting check points in the chaos. And it’s working pretty damn spiffy, if i do say so myself 🙂 I’d post a pic but alas i would have to email it to myself then get on the computer, etc, post when that’s like ten more minutes of dance time 😉

AvaBabe replied 11 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • AvaBabe

October 22, 2012 at 8:37 am

It also goes back to the thread the other day about remembering to continue working on the basics, making sure I am covering all the things I really need to work on and not just the ones I think are cool. And it gives me singe semblance of structure since I am mostly teaching myself through veena’s lessons =)

• SDsmiley

October 22, 2012 at 9:07 am

What an awesome idea. I was just thinking about something similar the other day. I was thinking about getting flash cards and putting them up on the wall just as you are doing… Great minds think alike. 🙂

• AvaBabe

October 22, 2012 at 9:22 am

Flash cards… Doh! Why didn’t I think of that… Would have saved me some scissor cramped hands lol ;D

• Charley

October 22, 2012 at 6:12 pm

That's a great idea!  I'm also getting Veena's poster too – so I can visually SEE things and be inspired right in my pole room!

• PlatinumAni

October 22, 2012 at 6:22 pm

what I do:

Every so often I have Bryce come take pics of things I like, new tricks, progress, whatever. Then I make a collage style picture on walmart and frame it. It is actually me doing the moves and I started it when I first started so it is a good reminder "hey when WAS the last time I did a plank?". I do mine in 11×14 so I can easily find frames. I have 3 and you can see them in some of my more recent videos hanging in a window frame on my pole room wall. If you would like to see it closer let me know and I will snap a pic.

I have always like the flash card idea but I am too lazy to make them and too cheap to spend the prices I saw for them. Veena's posters look amazing too, but I kinda have my own 😉

• AvaBabe

October 23, 2012 at 7:28 am

I love those ideas! V’s poster does look cool! And the collage sounds way cool 🙂 I like what I’m working with now because i tend to respond better to written language than images when learning (while i def needed visuals, reading makes more connections in my mind lately) plus it helps me remember the names of moves )which i am terrible at!) I’d like to be able to get to a point where i hear a name and bust it out without having to see an image of it first, that is just what i have figured out in the road to understanding myself, triggers good and bad to alter behaviours in myself (good and bad). It’s amazing how one can change their life and habits by simply understanding which ways they connect with the world!